Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Yes, an MBA with no chemistry degree will make a fantastic chemical engineer, I'm sure. And an economy based on all Americans doing nothing but figuring out how to sell each other more cheeseburgers and Chinese-made sneakers will be the envy of the entire world!

Somebody hold my hair, because I'm going to vomit.

I know MBA's who work at Walmart, running cash registers.
You don't even know or understand what people with MBA's do for work. Last time I checked, all the people working in the highrises in NYC and Chicago aren't doing chemical engineering. All the successful working professionals with big houses I know have their MBA's. Last time I checked all the greatest and most prestigious graduate schools are known for their MBA programs. I mean seriously, how many chemical engineering jobs are there out there! Not many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You don't even know or understand what people with MBA's do for work. Last time I checked, all the people working in the highrises in NYC and Chicago aren't doing chemical engineering. All the successful working professionals with big houses I know have their MBA's. Last time I checked all the greatest and most prestigious graduate schools are known for their MBA programs. I mean seriously, how many chemical engineering jobs are there out there! Not many!
Um....

Chemical engineering is a huge field due to the medical industry alone. Let's not forget consumables themselves (P&G).

MBA's...aaa yes.

I think there was worth of them at one time but there are so many issues with them that the value has dropped significantly. Considering some of the following.

1) Since around 1985 business has seen by mean as being a default major. Can't decide? Go for business...ok well when you have ads every week for MBA schools that are nine months part time with no GMAT required how much of a value is there?

2) The disciple itself did not have a academic school until the 1990's. Nearly every disciple had one decades if not generations prior

3) There are hardly any MBA thesis's, comprehensive exams or capstone presentations which the vast majority of students perform on the graduate level
Does this look like graduate academic work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4noNX1JJNJI

4) What specific placement is there for MBA's relative to other fields? It is not a hard science like chemistry, physics or biology. It is not a social science like political science, history, sociology etc.

5) In every disciple there is a publish or perish concept in academia. Research that is. So with that in mind go to a school and see for yourself what professors have actually published papers...go ahead...look

6) It is generally looked down upon
Business Majors Are Basically Kind of Dumb
Wealth or Waste? Rethinking - WSJ.com
Who Hits the Books More? Study Habits Vary by Major, Survey Finds - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcoDV0dhWPA

"No one wants to hire a chemistry or math or history major."

History?
Carly Fiorina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Medieval History and note she got to AT&T before her business degree

Accidental Moguls: College Majors of Top CEOs - Businessweek
"Jeff Immelt, the CEO at General Electric (GE), studied applied mathematics at Dartmouth before getting his MBA at Harvard Business School (Harvard Full-Time MBA Profile).Another Harvard MBA, James Dimon at JPMorgan Chase (JPM), studied psychology (plus economics) at Tufts.Michael Dell was a pre-med student at the University of Texas at Austin before he dropped out, only to end up running the computer company that bears his name."

So no math right...um...

"Janet Robinson was an undergraduate English major at Salve Regina University, an academic calling befitting the chief executive officer of the New York Times Co. (NYT). Robert Iger majored in communications as an undergraduate at Ithaca College: He's now running Walt Disney (DIS). And Sam Palmisano, the chief executive officer at IBM (IBM), studied history at Johns Hopkins.

Most people would be hard-pressed to see the future CEO in a 20-year-old philosophy major. But there may be a reason why some of them end up running big companies."

So IBM doesn't count eh? Yeah I'm sorry but your argument isn't holding much for water.

Look there's nothing at all wrong with taking business classes but there is something wrong about majoring in something with blinders on. What major theorists exist for business besides Drucker? What research is done in business given that m&a replaced r&d? How hard can it be to draft a business plan these days when technology makes it so much easier?

If you want to do something in lieu of this do what this guy recommends and read about 100 books
The 99 Best Business Books - Recommended Reading List
I know that's a large amount. I have about 30 of them. They aren't bad but I wouldn't pay thousands upon thousands for the same thing. I'm currently on Tribes if you must know.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
It disgusted me to see all those supposedly-rebellious and non-conformistic Liberal Arts majors, with their degrees in Oriental Philosophy, or some other form of intellectual finger painting, graft an MBA onto it within a year or two, and then try to suck their way to the top.

"Capstone Management", a course I took in the senior year of a 132-credit undergraduate Business Administration/Logistics Major, was enough to convince me that the simple hard knocks and personal hang-ups of individual participants in the jungle of Korporate Konformity take most of the starch out of a degree.

I left after one year of graduate study and got into my chosen industries via the ranks; I didn't get too far and began a checkered career that has touched on several fields, including a few in very gritty locations. But I never got trapped in an endless pattern of 9-to-5, and neither did i find myself "beached" halfway up the ladder, playing out the string and wondering what went wrong.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

2nd there's nothing wrong with liberal arts and frankly a graduate degree usually takes a few years if taken at a full time rate.

We might not like corporations but technically the country was founded on the backs of one
East India Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note the flag which is where we have the stripes on our own.
Hudson Bay Company pretty much owned Canada
Hudson's Bay Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing wrong with working 9-5 either. Having worked retail I can tell you working weekends and workdays off isn't exactly a huge plus. Weekends sort of faded from being important as years went on.

I could argue you are conforming by not conforming.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:

Even MBA can do it...funny commercial..FedEx - YouTube

Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM

To be fair I would say that a MBA program can be stronger if they did the following

1) Make some accreditation to a given set a standards to make it stand out. I don't see any reason why a MBA should be exempt from the GMAT. Yes it's a big long test and can be pricey but many professions require tests to get a license

2) Make some form of capstone or test at the end or thesis with a real concrete foundation

3) If possible work with other disciplines. Making a business plan in the USA is not that hard for a private business. But what if it's a business plan for a non profit based in another country? What if there's some MBA program that works in tangent with the SBA to help people start up businesses from the ground up? Why not have a group take a stance on a policy like gambling or decriminalizing drugs. What's the economic feasibility

etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
2nd there's nothing wrong with liberal arts and frankly a graduate degree usually takes a few years if taken at a full time rate.

We might not like corporations but technically the country was founded on the backs of one
East India Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note the flag which is where we have the stripes on our own.
Hudson Bay Company pretty much owned Canada
Hudson's Bay Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing wrong with working 9-5 either. Having worked retail I can tell you working weekends and workdays off isn't exactly a huge plus. Weekends sort of faded from being important as years went on.

I could argue you are conforming by not conforming.
Thank you for what is, at least, an honest observation and commentary.

All i can offer is this: I have a strong work ethic, but despise needless displays of authority, conformity, and regimentation. I was bored to death in my early school years and a behavior probem in Junior High. Things improved somewhat during Senior High, but I really hit my stride in college, going from a B-minus to an A-minus, wiith occasional appearances on the Dean's List; the freedom of being able to replace a strict schedule with independent study on my own terms was the key.

I got the first inkling that this wouldn't work in an abortive attempt at graduate study; the necessity for closer interaction with instructors quickly took me down a peg or two. When I entered the work force, (as a dispatcher woring the evening and night shifts in a freight company's 24/7 op center) I was able to generate the "hard numbers" that proved I was better at the job than most, but the department head's desire to groom me as a well-behaved executive candidate (dress code, rigid daylight schedule, etc.), combined with a much smaller and older pool of unattached singles in a grimy, blue-collar town, didn't give me much reason to "climb the ladder".

I simply never had the sense of trust to participate in the culture of blind obedience, feigned self-effacement, and similar hypocrasy that corporate life entails -- and has degenerated and intensified into in today's cultuure of Madison Avenue hype and cronyism.

No regrets, and no apologies.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Just another jealous envious guy with probably only a high school education. MBA's aren't going anywhere. Corporate America and MBA's are where America leads the world. You put down MBA's, yet those degrees are in Highest demand and pay the most (90k average). No one wants to hire a chemistry or math or history major. America is moving to an information based economy and away from labor based. Deal with it.
MBAs don't innovate, they just look for profits. In the last decade, MBAs have destroyed hundreds of viable American industries. As an example of the damage MBAs and their vulture capitalist cronies do, read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
MBAs don't innovate, they just look for profits. In the last decade, MBAs have destroyed hundreds of viable American industries. As an example of the damage MBAs and their vulture capitalist cronies do, read this:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/business/economy/05simmons.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0[/url]
If you don't make a profit, your not in business and you employe no one. Additionally, corporations have shareholders. Know anyone with a 401k? Their retirement depends on those with MBA's to keep their company in business and make a profit. The biggest issue is that the only stories that make headlines are the negative ones about huge companies laying off people or doing bad things. All the small businesses being built and growing into larger businesses never make headlines.

And you can't just google search the internet and hand pick a story about one person and apply it to every single business and person with an MBA in the United States. I could hand pick a story about a doctor who performed a bad surgery or did something immoral. I guess we should get rid of Doctors then? Your point proves nothing.

Last edited by jman07; 12-13-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
MBAs have their place, but I think it's ridiculous to imply that they can do every job. When you need someone to design a new fan assembly for the latest generation of jet engines, you don't call the guy with an MBA; you call the guy with a degree in aerospace engineering. You don't need an MBA to tool the line appropriately and put the part into manufacture, either.

Need to develop a new anti-glare coating for glass? What you need is someone who studied chemistry, not business. Your company is expanding and you want a brand-new state-of-the-art headquarters? You need an architect, not an MBA.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment