Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,241 times

Advertisements

This thread is a bit of a rant, but I've long made the joke that the only way to succeed in business was the be an *******. Greedy, self centered, pretentious, and no care to who you step over in pursuit of your wealth. Sadly, I think this has become the absolute reality, and "good business", those businesses run with customer satisfaction, human kindness, and compassion, have been completely wiped off the map. They just can't compete.

I can probably write all day about the horrors of corporate business, (Walmart anyone? And they certainly aren't the only offenders!), and more and more I'm seeing different types of businesses being overrun with horrible greed and soulless actions. Medical, Food Service, Education, almost every industry these days is filled with more choices about money and costs than the quality of service and the happiness of both employee and customer.

Will we ever see good business make it's return? I fear the future looks grim for good business, they just can't compete.

Edit: Pretty sure a lot of people are going to come in and say "Business IS about making money". I argue it's more than that though. Yes a business needs to make money to function and make profits, but the fair and respectable treatment of employees and customers like should just be as paramount of a goal. No reason company CEO's need to be making 7-8 figure salaries when they have thousands of workers only making minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Read up on the robber barons. Read "A Christmas Carol". Human kindness and compassion don't pay the bills, and never have.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
businesses are probably better now than they have ever been, go do some research on how businesses were run in the 1800s and early 1900s, all the way through.

Today businesses are forced to be better environmental stewards, there are laws on how they treat anybody and everybody, with social media they have to be guarded on everything that can come out publicly, and many people are very quick to sue. Add that to all the taxes and other regulations, and it amazes me that even I decided to start my own business.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Costco is a good business that pays and treats their employees well, and they compete with Sam's Club.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This thread is a bit of a rant, but I've long made the joke that the only way to succeed in business was the be an *******. Greedy, self centered, pretentious, and no care to who you step over in pursuit of your wealth. Sadly, I think this has become the absolute reality, and "good business", those businesses run with customer satisfaction, human kindness, and compassion, have been completely wiped off the map. They just can't compete.

I can probably write all day about the horrors of corporate business, (Walmart anyone? And they certainly aren't the only offenders!), and more and more I'm seeing different types of businesses being overrun with horrible greed and soulless actions. Medical, Food Service, Education, almost every industry these days is filled with more choices about money and costs than the quality of service and the happiness of both employee and customer.

Will we ever see good business make it's return? I fear the future looks grim for good business, they just can't compete.

Edit: Pretty sure a lot of people are going to come in and say "Business IS about making money". I argue it's more than that though. Yes a business needs to make money to function and make profits, but the fair and respectable treatment of employees and customers like should just be as paramount of a goal. No reason company CEO's need to be making 7-8 figure salaries when they have thousands of workers only making minimum wage.
I would think that the open, online internet, 24/7 bulldog news culture would help control illegal, immoral (whatever that means) and unethical (whatever that means) activities these days than in the past.

Also, I don't care of the CEO makes 7 or 8 figure salaries as long as he raises the stock price of the stocks I own. That's his job. His salary is irrelevant.

Those making minimum wage are free to quit and apply for the CEO position.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
Check out present day Brazil. That's America in 20 years.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Check out present day Brazil. That's America in 20 years.
Talking about slums all over the place?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Greedy, self centered, pretentious, and no care to who you step over in pursuit of your wealth. Sadly, I think this has become the absolute reality, and "good business", those businesses run with customer satisfaction, human kindness, and compassion, have been completely wiped off the map. They just can't compete.
Most people in the United States are drooling at the mouth trying to understand what you just said here. The days where customer satisfaction mattered in this country is out the window. If you have a product everyone wants, you can do WHATEVER you want. That is the culture of this country. It took until the 20th century for children to be considered more than property. Think about this, dogs and cats had more rights then children back then. That is this country.

Quote:

Unlike the droolers, you understand the problems with this country. I don't know if greed is the right word for corps, but they are a problem. They are huge welfare queens, sucking the tit of the people. If Walmart and all the others paid a wage equal to COL + inflation, the people working there wouldn't live on welfare because they would make too much. Fast food and other places are the same. So the cost of a wage is passed onto the consumer the correct way, not the hand up your ass way.

Oh and I am one of those ones that say a CEO makes too much. oops.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Quote:

So why is it ok for professional athletes and coaches to make millions while the beer guy makes min wage? Why is it ok for movie stars to make millions while the laborers to make 30k a year? Why do you get to pick and choose who makes what and what is ok to make? You do know there is more than just CEO and min wage worker right? There are a lot of good paying jobs in between on your way to CEO. Go to any large Fortune 500 corporations main offices and there are 1000's of good paying jobs. You get promoted to low level management and you can make around 90k. Mid level mid 100's. High level 200's. Then Higher from there. It's not the worlds fault you aren't smart or motivated enough to get a good education and move to a big city.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So why is it ok for professional athletes and coaches to make millions while the beer guy makes min wage? Why is it ok for movie stars to make millions while the laborers to make 30k a year? Why do you get to pick and choose who makes what and what is ok to make?
What are you even talking about? Did you read his post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment