Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM

11 posts, read 9,178 times

Advertisements

what is the law in regards to hiring process? i have been applying for a job with the city and it seems they post vacancies (probably required by law) but they seem to only hire from within.

that does NOT sound like equal opportunity to me.

is it possible to find out who was hired? or what the stats are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
If it is a public position the chances are that the hiring process is subject to FOIA laws and yes, you can find out who was hired. I know when I go through a PS hiring I have to document everything in my rationale during the hiring process in plain, non biased language as it is public record.

However, when someones says they are an "equal opportunity employer" that has a specific meaning regarding discrimination under Federally protected (or perhaps State protected) classes.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
What evidence do you have the city is only hiring internal candidates? Also, since you used the term "equal opportunity," I can tell you that there are no laws "protecting" internal vs external candidates.

It is VERY difficult getting a government job at any level (city, state, federal). It could be that they just don't think YOU are qualified.

You can request hiring data and I have heard of a person who requests data on every single hire. The thing is, that person will NEVER get hired, regardless of the data.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
It is equal opportunity whether they limit it to inside or not. Being an outside applicant is not a protected class by law.
Almost all public agencies provide for an internal promotion where it's not even announced to the public if certain conditions are met, such as at least 3 qualified internal applicants. If they do not get that they will open it to the public but the 1-2 internal applicants are still being considered. If they are good workers they will have an advantage in that they are already familiar with the organization and it's policies/procedures.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 9,178 times
You are correct, it could be that they do not find me to be "qualified" .... though i do meet all of the job requirements.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeways2011 View Post
You are correct, it could be that they do not find me to be "qualified" .... though i do meet all of the job requirements.
Meeting all of the job requirements does not automatically make you the best qualified.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
It is extremely difficult to beat out an internal applicant. They often already have all of the direct experiences listed in the job posting. If you are missing even one of them, you are less qualified.
e.g. this line from a local posting.
"Examines financial documents to ensure accuracy and conformance with County requirements by reviewing related records, provisions, and/or regulations."

Maybe you have experience examining financial documents to ensure accuracy and conformance with the requirements of other companies, but if you do not have experience examining financial documents to ensure accuracy and conformance with County requirements, then you are less qualified.

Or "Monitors expenditures related to various County projects and conveys the results to the appropriate personnel."
Project management experience may look like it fulfills this qualification, but you have to have project management experience with County projects to be equally qualified with the internal applicant.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
In Illinois/Chicago we have equal opportunity in hiring for govt jobs. Every Politician's relatives and cronies get an equal opportunity for a six figure BS admin job.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
The laws look good on paper but in reality the world of employment is like the wild west.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Or "Monitors expenditures related to various County projects and conveys the results to the appropriate personnel."
Project management experience may look like it fulfills this qualification, but you have to have project management experience with County projects to be equally qualified with the internal applicant.
Exactly. It's the same thing with Federal jobs. They want candidates who have direct experience with specific government programs. How would an external candidate get that experience? Most can't and the job will go to an internal candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment