Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
It's very clear to me I'm not cut out for corporate.
That's your problem in a nut shell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-much-too.html

In short, do everything you can to improve your efficiency.. (improve as much as possible without working a lot more hours, ask your manager how you can improve if not done already.) BUT be prepared if you were to be let go. Cut your expenses as much as possible and start looking for a new job.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 AM

334 posts, read 585,173 times
Quote:
I'm very aware of it, I just don't know if I have it in me to play that game. I'm too genuine of a person I guess. If I like you, I like you. if I don't, or don't trust you, you will not get any special treatment from me. I won't be disrespectful bc it's not in my nature, but I'm not going to be phony because you're above me in the hierarchy. It's very clear to me I'm not cut out for corporate.
Try to think of a field or a type of business where you can be happier and not have to play so many office politics. Maybe there is a better fit for you in a different field or a smaller business? Is there a skill you can begin acquiring to help you move into an area that is more fitting with your interests and style? Good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
QUICK UPDATE: I got the ultimate slap in my face. I did not get fired, but my manager wants to put me on a performance improvement plan. I say it's a slap in the face because she did recognize that I do good work and I work hard, but there have been mistakes and based on how others were rated, I should not get the same ratings as others who did not make those mistakes. The environment is super competitive and perfection is the minimum -- unfortunately I don't feel values here and it's time to move on for me (although I have not made any statement to my employer yet).

It's important to note that I feel that i haven't been held to the same standard as some of my counterparts, and certainly not leadership. Due to political BS and the fact that I was targeted (I posted about it) and got on the "bad side" of one of the "leaders" I was hawk-eyed during the later half of the year, and it hasn't been a very "safe" environment for me. I've been looking since the fall, because I knew what direction this was heading in...because of that person, and "leadership."

Thank you for the sage advice sware2cod! I know what direction I want to go in, and I have to be honest with myself about whether I really see my self continuing with this company. I've been unemployed before, and know the risks. I'm grateful that I finally have the experience I need to move on to something better. I have stepped up my search, and have been interviewing and submitting applications. It's hard to do when I work 9-10 hour days, but I'm trying. I hope to have another in-person interview in the next couple of weeks. Please keep sending the positives vibes as I go through this challenge!

I will keep updating my situation...stay tuned!
What general industry do you work in?

I think what your manager did was a blessing in disguise actually. She/he wants to help you. You may be in the wrong job or wrong industry. Some workplaces are full of workaholic perfectionists. There's no shame in not being that. I'm not either.

If I were in your shoes (and I have been), I would use this as a chance to get on the good side of as many people as you can in the company. Work hard and show them that you are willing to do what is told. If you have the mentality of 'It sucks here and I'm leaving. Screw everybody here.' then, you'll leave on bad terms and with people having a bad impression of you.

If your industry is smaller, it may come back to bite you in the future. In certain industries, everybody knows each other. The decisions you make now could cost you opportunities in the future.

In other words, I would work my tail off and kiss @ss for a while, and then when things get a little better, start looking for a new job.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM

159 posts, read 339,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What general industry do you work in?

I think what your manager did was a blessing in disguise actually. She/he wants to help you. You may be in the wrong job or wrong industry. Some workplaces are full of workaholic perfectionists. There's no shame in not being that. I'm not either.

If I were in your shoes (and I have been), I would use this as a chance to get on the good side of as many people as you can in the company. Work hard and show them that you are willing to do what is told. If you have the mentality of 'It sucks here and I'm leaving. Screw everybody here.' then, you'll leave on bad terms and with people having a bad impression of you.

If your industry is smaller, it may come back to bite you in the future. In certain industries, everybody knows each other. The decisions you make now could cost you opportunities in the future.

In other words, I would work my tail off and kiss @ss for a while, and then when things get a little better, start looking for a new job.
Thank you. It sucks when you're trying and want to give up, but don't want to disappoint those around you and ruin your reputation. I work in an industry that is somewhat small and in a dense metro area that is small in size. A lot of people at my company had some kind of working relationship with others before they even got here. It's a very close-knit, somewhat "cliquey" field where it's about who you know and what people say about you. This makes it especially tough because I don't hate what I do, just the environment I do it in. I need to identify what it is specifically that I like, and find another employer the city I want to live in, that will allow me to do just that. I also want to go back to school full-time eventually.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,116 times
I just read another thread where a poster wrote about a subordinate not fitting in, and reading your thread makes me wonder if you might have that same problem.

It is also unprofessional for your manager to tell you what your rating would be ahead of time, without taking you aside and providing coaching so you have opportunities to make changes. It's one thing if you get your performance review and it's poor without any feedback beforehand, and another if your manager gave you two chances and things didn't change.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM

I have an update:

So I quit my position and relocated back my home metro area. I don't regret the decision a bit, and I have yet to start work. I was offered (both in writing and verbally) a contract doing work that I want to do, for a major company in the city I want to work in.

When I left my employer, I didn't tell any of my colleagues where I was going-- mainly because...well, I didn't have an offer at the time. So I am definitely taking a risk by not having a permanent full-time position.

I am still seeking opportunities, and hopefully this next position I can start soon and build my experience and skills in order to prepare for the next opportunity that may come my way.

It took a lot of me putting up with some real bullsh*t to understand what I will and will not tolerate. While I played it political and made it seem like I was quitting because of a major opportunity, I really just wanted to get out of my situation. It was especially hard because I didn't have a lot of people I trusted there to express how I was feeling and the amount of stress that I was under.

And the crazy thing is, I was still kind of sad about leaving. I think it was making a major change that made me so emotional, but there were some good people there, and unfortunately the environment was just not in my favor. There were some leaders that didn't even wish me well on my next endeavor. Says more about them than it does about me. While they say you shouldn't burn bridges, there are a couple that I plan to cross again, so good riddance!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
JG-I empathize I am now in a similar plight although my workplace has been pretty hostile from day one, toxic culture, people yell and cuss and each other pretty often. I used to be the guy that cared and fixed problems now I am just yes man, and applying like mad. Funny thing is, now they leave me alone even though I don't do much work now, funny how that works.

I can stick it out probably until the EOM and wait to see on some jobs I have applied for, like you though I will have to quit probably by the EOM my health has really suffered at this place.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
JG-I empathize I am now in a similar plight although my workplace has been pretty hostile from day one, toxic culture, people yell and cuss and each other pretty often. I used to be the guy that cared and fixed problems now I am just yes man, and applying like mad. Funny thing is, now they leave me alone even though I don't do much work now, funny how that works.

I can stick it out probably until the EOM and wait to see on some jobs I have applied for, like you though I will have to quit probably by the EOM my health has really suffered at this place.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure what your personal situation is, but it's a lot easier for someone with no kids, no lease/mortgage, and no car payment to up and quit. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure what your personal situation is, but it's a lot easier for someone with no kids, no lease/mortgage, and no car payment to up and quit. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment