Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times

Advertisements

The corporate world has become just that, corporate. There is no looking out for the individual or citizen anymore. They may tell you they care in front of the camera but they don't. Lobbying and greed have become the main motivating factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
That question doesn't even make sense.

If you want to eat, you don't really have a choice about whether or not to keep your job. Since eating is a necessity rather than an option unless you're a houseplant, all this BS about how people have all this alleged "choice" in regard to their employment - especially in today's current job market - would make better fertilizer for the aforementioned houseplant than commentary in any forum frequented by adults with IQs above room temperature.

Thank you, I thought it was rather obvious.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM

189 posts, read 239,864 times
Quote:
That question doesn't even make sense.

If you want to eat, you don't really have a choice about whether or not to keep your job. Since eating is a necessity rather than an option unless you're a houseplant, all this BS about how people have all this alleged "choice" in regard to their employment - especially in today's current job market - would make better fertilizer for the aforementioned houseplant than commentary in any forum frequented by adults with IQs above room temperature.
There are jobs, but some people are picky. They only want the comfortable and high paid job. If they are not qualified for it, then they blame the job poster. If somebody offers them some so so jobs, they want to spit on it or they even want to topple the employer for offering such a dispicable job at the first place. To them, it's a big insult that those employers offer such jobs to the socielty.

Last edited by TheBookofLife; 12-19-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 PM

453 posts, read 632,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
There are jobs, but some people are picky. They only want the comfortable and high paid job. If they are not qualified for it, then they blame the job poster. If somebody offers them some so so jobs, they want to spit on it or they even want to topple the employer for offering such a dispicable job at the first place. To them, it's a big insult that those employers offer such jobs to the socielty.
Nice job of changing the subject, but that isn't what we were talking about

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM

189 posts, read 239,864 times
Quote:
Nice job of changing the subject, but that isn't what we were talking about
You are smarter than me. I cannot catch up with you.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
[quote=claud605;32670178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Nobody was forced to work on Thanksgiving. They could've quit and found another job elsewhere.

QUOTE]

WHY do people think this is so easy these days? IT IS NOT. Repeat...IT IS NOT. Makes my stomach turn every single time I read or hear this. I can feel the disdain in my bones, and it is not pretty.
True. It is not always that easy. But if one doesn't like the environement in which they work, it is on them to look for something else. Don't like that your company makes you work on Thanksgiving? Look for a place that is closed on that day. I'm not saying to just quit and walk out the door, but start looking around and hopefully you will find a work environment you like better before next Thanksgiving.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I have never looked at my working life in any way other than I AM DISPOSABLE.
Many people who are more successful will not doubt that they can be disposable, but they will look for ways to make them seen as less so, as opposed to just accepting that and rolling over.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
I don't necessarily want my employer to care about me, per say, but I don't want to be treated like pewp either.
I don't want them to care about me individually, I only want them to care about society as a whole.

I do feel that, for most jobs, minimum wage really is your boss telling you he'd pay you less if he could.

I think I have realistic expectations for wages, I've never expected to make 6 figures or anything like that.
At my last job, during an employee meeting where we were told our work load was doubling, I asked if we'd be getting a raise (been 5 years since the last raise ANYONE got) the boss literally laughed at me in front of the entire staff.
That's a bit ridiculous don't you think?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
The US has over 5 million millionaires. 24/7 Wall St.: Countries with the most millionaires

I'm guessing the majority of them went out and made their millions instead of whining.

Mary Barra, came from a working class family, and her father was a die maker. She started GM as an intern. Now, she has been named as the next CEO of GM.

Stories like this abound. America is still the country where people can succeed through hard work.

And then you have the whiners.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I don't necessarily want my employer to care about me, per say, but I don't want to be treated like pewp either.
I don't want them to care about me individually, I only want them to care about society as a whole.

I do feel that, for most jobs, minimum wage really is your boss telling you he'd pay you less if he could.

I think I have realistic expectations for wages, I've never expected to make 6 figures or anything like that.
At my last job, during an employee meeting where we were told our work load was doubling, I asked if we'd be getting a raise (been 5 years since the last raise ANYONE got) the boss literally laughed at me in front of the entire staff.
That's a bit ridiculous don't you think?
I think it's a common issue in today's market place. You agree to role A. A year or two into the gig, your blessed employer makes your role A + B + C and expects you to do it for the same pay rate as you did Role A for. Even though it's not the position you originally agreed to do, they feel that they have you locked in (for the time being at least) and will take advantage of you.

Employers will continue to do this in order to take advantage of their employees while making more $$$ on the back end. The only thing you can do is seek employment elsewhere. This is why I strongly advocate job hopping every 2-3 years (particularly in cases as I just described). It's the most efficient way to have your salary increase significantly over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment