Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times

Advertisements

OP, 5.79 years experience. In how many years after college? With 5.33 years of continuous unemployment, a felony record, geez.. FMV is not the same for you as someone with the following:

28 years old
5.8 continuous years professional exp right after college
No criminal record, not even a misdemeanor
A Good work Ethic, willingness to relocate/travel far to get ahead

Those median incomes you read about..it is for people with spotless records as shown above.

Do you expect the same salary as the guy above, when at age 50, you say..but I have 5.79 years experience.

PS, Professionals do not measure experience with fractions. It is indicative of off and on employment, where one is stretching for every last hundredth of a year in experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Well if it's a temp job and they ask about a criminal record I WILL LIE ON THE APPLICATION JUST LIKE I DID WITH SCHLUMBERGER AND I WORKED THERE FOR 6 MONTHS WITH MY FELONY.

I don't care that I'm 45 year old and not 28, I'll still ask for what I'm worth. I only ask for a measely $56,000 a year for a permanent job, but the jobs listings for Mech Engrs in Chicago are so demanding in skills. Like why do I have to know about CNC machining and programming when they never taught that in the 6th best 4 year college? I had to go to Wright College trade school classes on CNC just to put that on my resume.

And the toughest part of getting a Mech Eng job is that they want experience. One company in Chicago always advertises for engineers, but they never advertise for an entry level position. It's Life Fitness. And then they expect your to mentor lower level engineers. This is one company I can never get a job with.

I have a good work ethic and I'm willing to work hard. It's just that I'm not given a chance to utilize my degree. And I get discriminated for NOT BEING WHITE and if they find out I crossdress. Yeah, given two candidates with the same skills and experience - the WHITE GUY WILL GET HIRED FIRST.

A felony should not disable people from employment. Even Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton are felons. Do you think these are bad people too?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well if it's a temp job and they ask about a criminal record I WILL LIE ON THE APPLICATION JUST LIKE I DID WITH SCHLUMBERGER AND I WORKED THERE FOR 6 MONTHS WITH MY FELONY.

I don't care that I'm 45 year old and not 28, I'll still ask for what I'm worth. I only ask for a measely $56,000 a year for a permanent job, but the jobs listings for Mech Engrs in Chicago are so demanding in skills. Like why do I have to know about CNC machining and programming when they never taught that in the 6th best 4 year college? I had to go to Wright College trade school classes on CNC just to put that on my resume.

And the toughest part of getting a Mech Eng job is that they want experience. One company in Chicago always advertises for engineers, but they never advertise for an entry level position. It's Life Fitness. And then they expect your to mentor lower level engineers. This is one company I can never get a job with.

I have a good work ethic and I'm willing to work hard. It's just that I'm not given a chance to utilize my degree. And I get discriminated for NOT BEING WHITE and if they find out I crossdress. Yeah, given two candidates with the same skills and experience - the WHITE GUY WILL GET HIRED FIRST.

A felony should not disable people from employment. Even Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton are felons. Do you think these are bad people too?
There's something you're not doing right and I don't think its cross-dressing or not being white.

I could say that I was on my way to being a long-term unemployed person but I pulled myself together and kept my hopes and skills alive by doing volunteer work and learning something new on the computer each day on my own.

My persistence paid off eventually and at this point, I can only get better.

You need to examine what's not working for you first.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 PM

While unemployed I tried to learn new skills to help me get a job but that didn't help. Like I took a course in PLCs two years ago but no one ever hired me for that because they want experience in PLCs. It's very hard to get an entry level PLC or Controls Engineer job and then mostly they want a EE for that.

Instead of working a minimum wage job at McDonalds I do try to improve my jobs skill set or practice up on job skills so I don't go rusty on them.

I think about doing volunteer work sometimes but then I think I will get no pay back for doing so. I don't think God would bless me with a job or Lotto win if I do volunteer work so I just don't bother with this.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Quote:
I agreed to a $30/hr long term contract for a Tech Writer in Springfiled [4 years], and another $30/hr contract for a Proe Designer in Lafayette IN. If I got hired I would work at this agreed rate, but no health insurance. But this money is good because it gives work credits which raises the SSDI I get.

But it's hard to get over $56,000 a year in a permanent Chicago job because Chicago companies are CHEAP.

L'Artiste is sure in trouble not getting her career started in 3 years after college. She has no work experience in her field maybe so that's extra tough. But when I graduated in a bad economy in Dec 1992 there was no Monster to apply to jobs to. Everything was newspaper ads and mailing your resume and cover letter.
i sure am... i really hoping to die soon, i'm sick of being here anyway

be happy there was no monster 1992,its a resume grave yard

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Jesse I'm sorry is this real. This just seems funny. But I know it is your life, so sorry. I also don't think that SSDI should pay for things like your problem, obesity or ADHD...but it seems like it does. No wonder the trust fund is in trouble.

I have worked with two men who I think were either cross dressers or post-op transsexuals. I just try not to stare. Apparently somebody hired them. I also work with a guy who is on all kinds of meds for his mental problems. But he does a good job and hasn't tried to kill anyone yet. I've also worked with a functional alcoholic LOL. He told me he almost caused a big accident...but he still has a job.

Your problem is probaby the felony. Everybody does background checks these days. I would Never hire a felon, especially a violent felon. Of course you have excuses, but nobody wants to be decked in the eye or shot to death at work. Or have the liability for having their employees get hurt because they hired a potentially violent person.

Look at that DC shooter. If you were an employer, would you want to take that chance? No freaking way. Cleaning up blood is expensive. Lawsuits are even more expensive.

My advice to you is:
1. Realize you're not the model employee.

2. Start your own business. SSDI is paying for some living expenses. Yes...I know you paid in, but still you are probably getting more than you paid...So that that time and think of business plans and come up with a business. You will never reject yourself at an interview, right? So do your best to be your own boss If you eff up, you can file for bankruptcy.

3. Get a lawyer. As unscrupulous as this sounds, people can get their criminal records expunged. It is going to be expensive and may take a long time. But you can get a job where the unsuspecting employer doesn't even know you have a violent criminal record. Isn't that great?! It is not for sure, but contact a lawyer if you are serious about trying to get a job.

Also, L'Artiste. Don't die. Take up gardening.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:

I don't care that I'm 45 year old and not 28, I'll still ask for what I'm worth. I only ask for a measely $56,000 a year for a permanent job
and , if they thought you were worth it, they would offer it.

But they aren't.

At 45, they properly expect you to be coming in with 20 years, not 5.79 years, experience. You have the equivalent of 15 years of white space in this area..recruiting termonolgy for blank space where experience should be.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i sure am... i really hoping to die soon, i'm sick of being here anyway

be happy there was no monster 1992,its a resume grave yard
Whatever you do L'Artiste, don't commit suicide as God sends those people to Hell. And once you die like shooting yourself in the head there's no coming back. I just don't know why you can't get food stamps to buy food to make you a little happy. And I don't know if you tried to apply for SSI or welfare. I heard many young college grads in this economy can't find a job in their field so they are working at Starbucks. Yeah, it's depressing asking mom for money so you can treat yourself to McDonalds.

Do you have a student loan to pay back too? How much is your student debt?

Before 2001 I had to work any job just to have spending money. The only other jobs I tried where messenger delivery by car and bike and those jobs totally sucked with very low commissions averaging to less than minimum wage pay. So I know I'm very lucky to get the SSDI I get now - I don't have to get a minimum wage job for money. Back in 2001 to 2005 I was only getting $719 monthly SSDI, - looking back I wonder how I survived on that! Years later I discovered that I could have gotten $319 monthly in Food stamps with that low level of SSDI, and that pissed me off. After working from Sept 2005 to August 2008 - nearly 3 years of work credits, my yearly SSDI went up to $1069 monthly back in 2009. With yearly increases I'm now at $1171 monthly SSDI! And this money makes me HAPPY! But if both my Parents died now my SSDI is not enough. To keep my SSDI I can get a PT job that pays $1000 monthly max and that would probably be enough to keep my house from property taxes.

Do you own a car so you can drive to work? What is your race? Maybe you're being discriminated as maybe they prefer a good looking white woman to do marketing. I see Pharmaceutical Reps near my hospital and they're all good looking WHITE women.

And how come you don't want to be my city data friend?

If you're a pretty woman you should just capitalize on your looks. I wish you could email me your face pic so I can see how good looking you are. I always thought pretty women had it made in life. They can just marry a successful man to take care of them. Just pop out babies for him and give him great sex. Can't you do that? Can't you date men now and have them pay for dates? What's stopping you now?

I'm unhappy with my male life and I wish I was a beautiful woman.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
and , if they thought you were worth it, they would offer it.

But they aren't.

At 45, they properly expect you to be coming in with 20 years, not 5.79 years, experience. You have the equivalent of 15 years of white space in this area..recruiting termonolgy for blank space where experience should be.
The companies that I interviewed and were paying cheap salaries were offering that cheap salary to everyone, despite how qualified they are. It's not localized to me, companies are lowballing salaries to everyone. Like they expect a 5 year experienced Machine Designer to work for them for a pathetic $50,000 to $55,000 /year.

So at this point I'll accept that lowball job at $45,000 / year. I will unhappily work hard for them 1 year expecting a good raise, which cheap companies are known to hardly give a raise. If they don't give me a good raise I will start looking for a job elsewhere. But there are not too many other Chicago companies to work for , now.

I had a bad experience working low pay for an engineer job at Platt Luggage, for $25,000 year back in 1995. Back then the starting pay for a Mech Eng grad was $38,000 a year, so I was a minimum wage engineer. I did very good work for them and greatly improved their prototype suitcase process. I made excellent artistic suitcase designs and prototypes that I grabbed many orders from other competing suitcase companies. Like I successfully won the large IBM laptop suitcase order with my design and prototype. And then 1 year passes by and when I ask the Gen Manager for a raise they deny all the good work that I do and they don't give me a raise. They fired me later for getting angry at a production supervisor that kept taking my workspace, but my Boss said I was the best engineer there but I would be stuck in my design position. I did good enough work that they hired another engineer to help me but he was WHITE. He was hired even though he didn't know any Autocad, and they told me to teach him Autocad. Yet I had to be an Autocad expert 2d & 3d to get hired. And then the worse thing was they paid this WHITE GUY more than me and expected him later to be my boss. I know the salaries people got because I saw the company pay excel spreadsheet and I cracked the hidden field codes to reveal who got paid what. But it was pathetic that the company President only made $55,000 year. It was a low pay small company.

Years later I visit Platt Luggage and they are down to just one woman engineer... I guess they miss me with all the good work / business I did.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Quote:
Whatever you do L'Artiste, don't commit suicide as God sends those people to Hell. And once you die like shooting yourself in the head there's no coming back.

so god makes me be born, tortures me and then if decide to take a way out he will torture me for all eternity.. what a lovely god he is

I just don't know why you can't get food stamps to buy food to make you a little happy. And I don't know if you tried to apply for SSI or welfare. I heard many young college grads in this economy can't find a job in their field so they are working at Starbucks. Yeah, it's depressing asking mom for money so you can treat yourself to McDonalds.

i don't think i can get foodstamps if i'm a dependent.. or have no kids

No I don't have debt, i had an academic scholarship...so full ride..thats the upside

Before 2001 I had to work any job just to have spending money. The only other jobs I tried where messenger delivery by car and bike and those jobs totally sucked with very low commissions averaging to less than minimum wage pay. So I know I'm very lucky to get the SSDI I get now - I don't have to get a minimum wage job for money. Back in 2001 to 2005 I was only getting $719 monthly SSDI, - looking back I wonder how I survived on that! Years later I discovered that I could have gotten $319 monthly in Food stamps with that low level of SSDI, and that pissed me off. After working from Sept 2005 to August 2008 - nearly 3 years of work credits, my yearly SSDI went up to $1069 monthly back in 2009. With yearly increases I'm now at $1171 monthly SSDI! And this money makes me HAPPY! But if both my Parents died now my SSDI is not enough. To keep my SSDI I can get a PT job that pays $1000 monthly max and that would probably be enough to keep my house from property taxes.

Do you own a car so you can drive to work? What is your race? Maybe you're being discriminated as maybe they prefer a good looking white woman to do marketing. I see Pharmaceutical Reps near my hospital and they're all good looking WHITE women.

I have a car... i'm racially challenged

i didn't know you wanted to be mines

If you're a pretty woman you should just capitalize on your looks. I wish you could email me your face pic so I can see how good looking you are. I always thought pretty women had it made in life. They can just marry a successful man to take care of them. Just pop out babies for him and give him great sex. Can't you do that? Can't you date men now and have them pay for dates? What's stopping you now?

and i'm not pretty.

you are a man, men still are #1 over women(and earn more) in pretty much every country, so be happy you aren't us
Whatever you do L'Artiste, don't commit suicide as God sends those people to Hell. And once you die like shooting yourself in the head there's no coming back.

so god makes me be born, tortures me and then if decide to take a way out he will torture me for all eternity.. what a lovely god he is

I just don't know why you can't get food stamps to buy food to make you a little happy. And I don't know if you tried to apply for SSI or welfare. I heard many young college grads in this economy can't find a job in their field so they are working at Starbucks. Yeah, it's depressing asking mom for money so you can treat yourself to McDonalds.

i don't think i can get foodstamps if i'm a dependent.. or have no kids

No I don't have debt, i had an academic scholarship...so full ride..thats the upside

I have a car... i'm racially challenged

i didn't know you wanted to be mines

and i'm not pretty.

you are a man, men still are #1 over women(and earn more) in pretty much every country, so be happy you aren't us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment