Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,244,364 times

Advertisements

I work as an Executive Assistant to three directors (two after we finalize hiring another EA). Scheduling eats up much of my day, and I definitely get overwhelmed with managing all of their calendars. Other than that, I coordinate a lot of meetings and do a lot of office assistant duties (supplies, travel, reimbursements) One of the directors usually doesn't get a break or lunch and meets with people all throughout the day (I don't know how she manages it), but that just gives you an idea of what their calendars

My question isn't about my bosses, it's about everyone else. One of the analysts sent me an e-mail requesting that I set up eight meetings with eight different staff members. I have not replied to her message because:
  1. I don't want to outright say no, but I am already overwhelmed with my current duties.
  2. I schedule for executives, not the analysts. The only time I do is when it includes one of the executives.
  3. I'm afraid that if I'm too accommodating, they will expect me to do more and more of their scheduling for them.
I get it. Scheduling isn't a big deal, but I also need to be mindful my time. In my last position, the more initiative I showed, the more work they gave me. I feel the same thing happening here. I work really hard and make sure my work is done timely and with no errors. I try to go above and beyond, but I feel like doing that just makes me a target for others to use. For a while, I was working at least ten hours a day. We've been short on staff, and it's up to me and another co-worker to make sure things get done. I guess I feel overwhelmed and really, unappreciated. I want to gently let people know that I too have my limits. I can barely get to my day to day tasks (we had a summit two weeks ago, and I still have all of the supplies at my desk since I haven't had time to clean everything up).

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,998 times
If it's not in your job description, I probably wouldn't do it. Unless of course, that person could somehow boost your career in the future (is there a possibility they could be an executive/your boss in the future?).

Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,676,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I work as an Executive Assistant to three directors (two after we finalize hiring another EA). Scheduling eats up much of my day, and I definitely get overwhelmed with managing all of their calendars. Other than that, I coordinate a lot of meetings and do a lot of office assistant duties (supplies, travel, reimbursements) One of the directors usually doesn't get a break or lunch and meets with people all throughout the day (I don't know how she manages it), but that just gives you an idea of what their calendars

My question isn't about my bosses, it's about everyone else. One of the analysts sent me an e-mail requesting that I set up eight meetings with eight different staff members. I have not replied to her message because:
  1. I don't want to outright say no, but I am already overwhelmed with my current duties.
  2. I schedule for executives, not the analysts. The only time I do is when it includes one of the executives.
  3. I'm afraid that if I'm too accommodating, they will expect me to do more and more of their scheduling for them.
I get it. Scheduling isn't a big deal, but I also need to be mindful my time. In my last position, the more initiative I showed, the more work they gave me. I feel the same thing happening here. I work really hard and make sure my work is done timely and with no errors. I try to go above and beyond, but I feel like doing that just makes me a target for others to use. For a while, I was working at least ten hours a day. We've been short on staff, and it's up to me and another co-worker to make sure things get done. I guess I feel overwhelmed and really, unappreciated. I want to gently let people know that I too have my limits. I can barely get to my day to day tasks (we had a summit two weeks ago, and I still have all of the supplies at my desk since I haven't had time to clean evething up).

I appreciate your help!
First I would be sure that your boss(s) didn't tell this person they could give you work. Once you are sure that is the case say either(because no matter how well meaning, it will always be embarrassing to have your boss ask you to complete a task after you've told someone else no.)

1)Your boss has you working on a bunch of things and you can't help them until her work is completed. Maybe when work is lighter you can help them.
2) You can help them but you have to clear it with your boss cause you are busy.
3)You can't help them period you are busy with their boss.

You will have to gauge the situation yourself to see which one to use. If they are pushy, you should use 3. If they are trying to push their work off on you behind your boss's back use 2, if their intent is harmless and they will not push too hard maybe use 1.
Though something to consider I think is that in sometimes companies with a person who does duties similar to yours they do those duties for the entire department and sometimes people in the department will ask the EA to do something similar. But 8 meetings is a bit much. I think your instincts are right to push back in this case.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM

537 posts, read 1,244,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
First I would be sure that your boss(s) didn't tell this person they could give you work. Once you are sure that is the case say either(because no matter how well meaning, it will always be embarrassing to have your boss ask you to complete a task after you've told someone else no.)

1)Your boss has you working on a bunch of things and you can't help them until her work is completed. Maybe when work is lighter you can help them.
2) You can help them but you have to clear it with your boss cause you are busy.
3)You can't help them period you are busy with their boss.

You will have to gauge the situation yourself to see which one to use. If they are pushy, you should use 3. If they are trying to push their work off on you behind your boss's back use 2, if their intent is harmless and they will not push too hard maybe use 1.
Though something to consider I think is that in sometimes companies with a person who does duties similar to yours they do those duties for the entire department and sometimes people in the department will ask the EA to do something similar. But 8 meetings is a bit much. I think your instincts are right to push back in this case.
That was what I forgot! Usually a co-worker will copy one of my bosses on an e-mail if they are requesting that I do something for them. It just keeps everyone in the loop. It didn't happen in this case, but I'll make sure to confirm first.

This is fantastic advice. Thank you. I'll update once this is resolved.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
I've been an EA. This really depends on a few things. One key is if your boss asked them to do these meetings, assigned it to them... if this happened, AND the analyst has no support staff, I'd probably do it. When I staffed senior staff meetings I often kept track of these types of assigned meetings from the CEO and if I helped facilitate the meeting occurring I'd be sure it got done and be able to update my boss on the Director's progress.

If they have admin support I would not do this.

If this wasn't a direct assignment from my boss to them I wouldn't do this (with the exception being if I felt this person was potentially helpful to me down the road and it wouldn't impact my work).

Old 12-25-2013, 03:05 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,045 times
I'd probably talk to your boss about this. I'd find out if, as everyone else said, it was given to the analyst, then to you. Sometimes they don't tell you that (or check the chain of the email and see if there was anything).

Also, I'd tell your boss that analyst is giving you this and if they didn't initiate it, then let boss know that you really don't have time to do it and how should you proceed. Many times, the boss will tell you they'll talk to the analyst and let them know that it's not your job to do their meetings. Other times, they may still want you to do it.

Personally, I'd go to your boss first and explain the situation if you can. That way, if you have to decline analyst yourself, you can simply say, "I'm sorry, but after talking with Boss, we've agreed that my work load can't take on anymore scheduling than I'm already doing. You're going to have to do it yourself." That way, you have Boss's word as backup to yours. So it's on Boss, not you.

Good luck. I've been there and started turning into the go to for other people. After awhile, I made sure they realized that I could only help if, and only if, I was free after doing my normal duties. Definitely don't let them take advantage of you....UNLESS they can 1. make your life miserable or 2. help you in your career.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:03 PM

389 posts, read 692,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post

I get it. Scheduling isn't a big deal, but I also need to be mindful my time. In my last position, the more initiative I showed, the more work they gave me. I feel the same thing happening here. I work really hard and make sure my work is done timely and with no errors. I try to go above and beyond, but I feel like doing that just makes me a target for others to use. For a while, I was working at least ten hours a day. We've been short on staff, and it's up to me and another co-worker to make sure things get done. I guess I feel overwhelmed and really, unappreciated. I want to gently let people know that I too have my limits. I can barely get to my day to day tasks (we had a summit two weeks ago, and I still have all of the supplies at my desk since I haven't had time to clean everything up).

I appreciate your help!
Tell your co-worker you would if you could, but you're swamped. Be civil; don't torture yourself about it -- this isn't your boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment