Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

A River North sandwich shop fired its 20 employees Sunday night via email.

The firings were effective immediately for the workers at Snarf’s Sub Shop at 600 W Chicago.
According to the email obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times, director of operations Doug Besant blamed "increased competition and losses" for the terminations and said the company plans to remodel and reconcept the business.

Source: Sandwich Shop Cans Workers Days Before Christmas | NBC Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
This is on the politics board already.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A River North sandwich shop fired its 20 employees Sunday night via email.

The firings were effective immediately for the workers at Snarf’s Sub Shop at 600 W Chicago.
According to the email obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times, director of operations Doug Besant blamed "increased competition and losses" for the terminations and said the company plans to remodel and reconcept the business.

Source: Sandwich Shop Cans Workers Days Before Christmas | NBC Chicago
Why does a fast food employee deserve $15 per hour? I know office workers, CNAs, and other professionals that don't earn that much.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 PM

453 posts, read 632,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Why does a fast food employee deserve $15 per hour? I know office workers, CNAs, and other professionals that don't earn that much.
The bigger question to ask would be, "Why don't office workers, CNAs and other professionals deserve $15 per hour?"

Basically, why don't people who work deserve to earn enough money from their work to actually provide for themselves with dignity rather than having to ask for public assistance on top of their paychecks just to live?

But that question's been asked countless times already on this forum, and certain blinkered elements always shout the askers down...

Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 PM

29,834 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
There are probably some local route truck drivers and skilled workers that don't earn that. Why aim higher when you can do the equivalent of flipping a burger? I wish everyone who made an effort to secure work and hold a job could enjoy a comfortable living. The world is not perfect though and we must all work within the system we operate. The best way to earn more than minimum wage is to learn something worth a higher wage. Even then, nothing is guaranteed. I'm assuming most of these folks did not make that effort. What did they decide to do instead? They went on strike.

The owner of this establishment can not earn his living if all his workers are on strike. He decided to hire people who wanted to work, solving his dilemma. These workers also solved their dilemma... They no longer earn a low wage. Problem solved. Ever read "The Monkey's Paw"? Ya, that's kinda how this went, and for both parties involved.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 PM

453 posts, read 632,395 times
Even things worth a higher wage no longer pay one in many instances... so obviously that isn't really an adequate answer anymore.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
The end of the year isn't some magical time when the world comes to a stop. Life goes on. Decisions are still made. People get fired. Get hired. All types of every day events continue to happen.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The end of the year isn't some magical time when the world comes to a stop. Life goes on. Decisions are still made. People get fired. Get hired. All types of every day events continue to happen.
Exactly. Business still goes on around Christmas time. Since the restaurant is rebranding itself, I' sure it has to officially close by year end so that the losses would count towards their 2013 taxes. The employees can always reapply for their jobs.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 PM

458 posts, read 645,300 times
Was the food any good?
With this type of negative media publicity, I would assume the shop would need a new Jenny Jones makeover.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,695 times
So the place closed down and people are celebrating it as a win for their cause? So now instead of low wages their employees get no wage, sounds like a reason to celebrate in this country these days I guess.

That being said, sandwich shops and restaurants close down everyday, it is a tough line of work where even small problems can kill the business, personally I do not understand why they would be happy about it but let them keep fighting for less jobs I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment