Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some are doing so well? They're having no trouble at all finding good jobs. A lot can't speak English.

How DACA is Impacting the Lives of Those Who are Now DACAmented | Immigration Policy Center

We find that the DACA recipients we surveyed experienced a pronounced increase in economic opportunities, such as getting a new job, opening their first bank account, and obtaining their first credit card.

61% of DACA recipients surveyed have obtained a new job since receiving DACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
For the most part, the system is a joke.

A vast majority of the posted "jobs" are not real. I speak from personal experience on the matter when I was out of work:

1) My former employer loved to contribute to the problem. They would have an opening, fill the opening with an internal candidate, and only then post the job to the external website. Nobody who applied had any chance of getting the job, but I'm sure plenty of them were given false hope, run through interviews, etc. just to keep Legal happy so they can claim to have "looked at external candidates."

2) I've been told to my face flat-out by various companies that they "do not hire the unemployed." Technically, that's not illegal, but it is evil and stupid. It makes as much sense as having a restaurant that won't serve food to hungry people... idiots.

3) I went to job interviews that were clearly just formalities. Either they had picked somebody else already or they never intended to hire anyone. But they sure didn't mind wasting my time and cobbling together half-baked lies to keep things moving.

4) I lost track of the absurd number of "jobs" posted online that sit for months or years with nobody actually being hired. Some of the postings may just be very old and never removed, but plenty were refreshed now and then, and yet still nobody was ever hired. Of course, these days, it's almost impossible to be qualified enough to meet the insane corporate demands, but that's just part of a larger problem.

5) I was told in an on-site interview that the company has "had this opening around for a long time, but they never hire anyone... but this time will be different." because they supposedly really liked me. They didn't mind wasting 6 hours of my time, but in the end, nobody got the job and it is still posted over a year later!

6) Head-hunters just promote the lies. So many of them spew nonsense about a "great job opportunity with a leading company in a specific state." But once you ask details, the whole lie falls apart. There's no job - they are just fishing for contacts to keep themselves busy.

It is a cold, cruel, and sick world out there, sadly.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
You got me. I confess. My idea of a good time is to post fake jobs, interview lots of people, then hire nobody. I find it very relaxing.

After I do that, I never get back to any of the applicants either. I sleep better at night knowing that there are dozens of people out there waiting for me to contact them.....but I never will! Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Before I do any of that though, I contact all of my other employed colleagues, compile a list of your names, then laugh at you.

Hemlock, STT, hnsq and I are all getting together for New Year's Eve just to do this. We might even start a new company just so that we can post even more fake ads that we will never fill.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You got me. I confess. My idea of a good time is to post fake jobs, interview lots of people, then hire nobody. I find it very relaxing.

After I do that, I never get back to any of the applicants either. I sleep better at night knowing that there are dozens of people out there waiting for me to contact them.....but I never will! Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Before I do any of that though, I contact all of my other employed colleagues, compile a list of your names, then laugh at you.

Hemlock, STT, hnsq and I are all getting together for New Year's Eve just to do this. We might even start a new company just so that we can post even more fake ads that we will never fill.
Hey, you forgot me!

I really like the part when I spend hours interviewing people for my fake jobs. It warms the cockles of my heart.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Employers have access to IRS so they can get databases of long term unemployed folks from that end.
Where did you come up with that?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
some states have had UIB for 9 years (federal takeover of a state program that was a 6 month program)
those jobs are gone they are not coming back. its not a recession and recovery its a contraction.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM

170 posts, read 316,616 times
Been out since Oct. and being unemployed made my resume look like trash with gaps. All I want is a job and it feels like I have a better chance winning the lotto. I have sent 60+ job apps, 7 interviews and not even 1 offer. Another thing is, there's no extension on EDD. To top this off, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me (last year).

You can't "improve" on this unlike other things in life. If you wanted to lose weight, you can start by going to the gym. If you wanted to travel more, (assume you have a job) you can cut your expenses or get another job.

But being unemployed, each day is 1 step away from being pushed away from the workforce. There's no way to improve, sure you can go to school but that takes TIME and you'll realize you have no money left over.

I'm not lazy, I would take a part-time job but it would make no sense since I'll make more on unemployment and they will take a weeks to even send me a payment again.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
If you are on LinkedIn, it is very easy to do an Advanced Search to find out who if anyone got the job. Just pop in the job title or something close and the company. Set the drop down to "Current" as in currently at the company. The last few interviews I went on I found out nobody was hired by doing exactly this. I also found out who got the job in few cases and it was most surprising and enlightening. I find people do not post their new position until they have been through the three to four month trial period. A few, but very few, holdouts are not on linkedin at all.

Wishing all the decent people on this forum a good and prosperous 2014.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
I've encountered times where it seemed the employees of whatever company I was applying for attempt to get in your way, almost like screen you out from not only getting a job there but to fill out an application. How this is legal I don't quite understand.

It's even worse when the job goes to someone else, who works there for a short time and then quits, or turns out to be a chump when you know in your heart you would have kept it and stayed there and had been the best employee you could be.

Last edited by parried; 12-31-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Two years ago, I was laid off after the company was sold. I was unemployed for 2 weeks, before I started the next job for a $20k raise. I completed the 2nd round of an interview with another employer and still had other people calling me. $20k was enough of a bump. I didn't want to wait, since rent was coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment