Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ditto to that. I was planning on changing my name and a few other details to test that out, because I think you're right about that. Employers have access to IRS so they can get databases of long term unemployed folks from that end.

Absolutely not. IRS records are confidential unless you give authorization for disclosure or get prosecuted for fraud. Employers or potential employers have no access to your IRS files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
Great post. In order to get a job the applicant has to bring a lot of the table. Skills, knowledge, personality, previous work history, salary expectations and other factors determine whether Person A is a better candidate for the job than Person B.

You are right. All the nonsense about conspiracies etc are just that, nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Congrats! We need more stories like this to inspire and combat negativity threads like this one.

For my part, I was laid off Friday, March 8. Totally out of the blue, one of the biggest shocks of my life. I felt every bit of the fear, anger and depression that folks talk about here. This was the second layoff for me in 15 months, after 27 years of solid employment. But that same day I hit the job boards and started sending out resumes. I was getting calls by Monday. Lots of them didn't pan out but after a week or so I started getting phone and in person interviews. Then I got a call - from a corporate HR recruiter - on the job that was at the top of my lists. One list being the job I was most interested in, the other being literally the first job I had sent my resume to on March 8. It took no less than 5 interviews...one with HR by phone...one with the hiring director by phone...a technical interview with a panel of engineers, managers and another director by phone...an hours long in person interview with the hiring director, the HR recruiter, the director from the technical call, and two managers that included what some here call "HR gobbledygook", and finally a brief phone interview with still another director. This took place over the period of about two weeks. At that same time I was interviewing for other positions as well. On April 8, I received two offers. One for the job I just described, and another for an out of state job that had progressed in a similar fashion, culminating with the potential employer flying me in for an in person interview the week before. I accepted the local position, and thus landed a job that not only pays significantly more, but is possibly the best career opportunity I've had, is closer to home than the one that laid me off was, and I like better.

The job I accepted, I found through Indeed, which had scraped it from the company's web site. I had also found my previous position on Indeed, FWIW. The out of state offer started when a recruiter who found my resume on Dice called me. I had not applied for that opening. In the month I was looking, I applied for over 100 jobs.

My new employer did a background check (not a credit check), they called my references, I had to go for a drug screen. I had no issues with HR at either company. Nobody deliberately tried to sabotage my candidacy. The interviews were tough, in fact by the end of that technical panel call I was convinced I was done, they grilled me that hard. I was shocked when the HR recruiter called me the next day to schedule the face to face.

None of it was easy. Very little of it was pleasant. It was worth the effort though.

I'm not trying to brag. I know I was very lucky. I have sympathy for those of you who are reading this who have been struggling to find jobs for months or longer. I know it could have been, or could be, me some day and that's terrifying. Don't give up. Keep trying. Don't look for reasons that don't exist why you're struggling, that's a path to oblivion. The economy isn't great, there's a lot of competition for jobs, some employers are looking for such perfect fits that they can't really fill a job, those things are true. It's probably true that in some cases jobs get posted that won't get filled, for a variety of reasons. But this talk of fake jobs, blacklists, conspiracies, access to the IRS, etc, is nonsense and will only cloud your focus. Don't fall for it. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
My job search has been almost unreal. Either I'm the object of some large-scale practical joke, conspiracy, or I'm schizophrenic and only imagining everything. It's like living in a thriller or sci-fi novel. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 0 jobs available, and the supposed "job market" is just a big ploy to give people false hope.
Don't know about all that. I'm not going to lie, the job market is tough, particularly for those who are below the median in categories such as personality, skills, experience, etc. Is it hopeless? Nah.

I'm gonna throw you a bone, OP. Try getting off of the internet forums for awhile. This place can be absolutely depressing and miserable. What you have here is a conglomeration of people complaining, people trolling/boasting about how much better they are than you, people telling you that you're worthless, etc. Does that seem like a bastion for hopefulness and success? I didn't think so.

Fact: Happy, successful people don't spend their time searching the depths of Internet purgatory for solutions to their life problems. This is something I've learned from years of doing just that. You want to find real success and happiness in life? Get off the Internet and go meet real people who can actually help you in life. Network with them, make new friends, do whatever you need to do to find a good balance in life. Spending your time on City-Data Forum venting about your problems while seeking a mere fragment of helpfulness is and always will be a fruitless endeavor IMO.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 PM

162 posts, read 228,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It took me close to nearly two dozen interviews to land a job. I too have been jerked arround, led on, treated rudely, subjected to HR gobbledygook to the point I hate them with a passion, for quite some time. In some cases they already have a candidate in mind and are interviewing for EEOC or company policy compliance, In other cases they are not very serious about hiring and kind of window shopping candidates.

One painful lesson I've learned is when to walk away. When I am getting jerked around and given writing assignments or more than 3 interviews I've learned they either aren't serious or their HR bimbos have been let off their leash and I just gracefully walk away.

All you can do is keep trying. I got to the point where I was just numb. I'd show up do the best I can and of course then the HR hack shrinks would accuse me of not being passionate.
Been there, done that, done with it. I wasted a huge chunk of my life with this nonsense until I decided to put my foot down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment