Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Even fast food and Janitors need a high school diploma.

I'm not sure,but I think most posters are from a time when a diploma wasn't required.

You better not try it now.
My state,everyone requires a High school diploma for jobs.
They are called baby boomers, and they are the worst generation that ever existed. They are the true entitled ones and also the most inept. The fact that they have a lack of empathy is alarming. They are the main people who run around like a chicken with it's head cut off persecuting the unemployed with accusations of laziness and entitlement attitudes when there are people who would be happy with any job they could find. They are unaware of how the world has changed and how jobs have changed. It all has to do with the mentality. Nobody cares about how some old guy got a job as a teen by walking down the street and asking, then retired 40 years later. That doesn't exist anymore.

I'm tired of all the dogma they try to push. They act like just because their life worked out that yours should too and if not you don't deserve to live.

In the past on this forum when teenagers or people with limited education have posted wondering why they can't find a job, you get some high and mighty older person who paints themselves as a hero, and how they never had it tough finding work, and continue to go on a huge lecture about what the teen or person is doing wrong. As if they know more about a person then that person knows about themselves. More often then not they are full of bologna but try to play themselves off as if they can do no wrong.

These same conservative types are the ones with most control, and they are preventing the majority from prospering.

Last edited by parried; 01-05-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just want to point out that if you're changing CAREERS after age 40, I don't care what your degree is in - you're facing a serious challenge when it comes to replacing your income.

As for the rest, I'm not discouraging people from getting a degree - I'm discouraging people from going into DEBT getting a degree, from choosing useless degrees, or from expecting that a bachelor's degree assures them of a well paying job. I'm discouraging people from considering the trades or industrial work to be somehow "inferior" as a career, or a form of settling for less.

I'm also encouraging people to consider going into the trades, because the simple fact is that not everyone is cut out for a desk job or what we consider "white collar jobs." They are simply NOT A FIT for some people and that's very much OK and it does not make those people less intelligent or less talented - or their skills less needed (or for that matter, less compensated).

Using my husband as an example again - I cannot imagine a man less suited for a desk job or to wear a suit or khakis to work. Now - he is VERY intelligent - well read, well traveled, sophisticated in his tastes and many of his interests. But he is action oriented, a very physical sort of person, a man who prefers to work outside, who doesn't mind getting dirty or sweaty. He's also a fabulous manager of people AND equipment, very computer literate, and very well paid for his expertise.

It takes all types, and there is nothing to be ashamed of if the trades is a better fit than a job behind a desk. It's not a matter of "settling." It's a matter of identifying which gifts you possess and then applying them to your career.

I am 100% with you on trades. I think skilled trades are so often overlooked and you are very right that college isnt for everyone. I just also try to encourage younger individuals to not get so caught up in unskilled labor jobs that pays great straight out of high-school without realizing the long term implications of that career path. Of course a career change later in life will be a challenge, but I would still reckon that the transition will be harder for someone in their 40s with a bad back, no education above high school, and no skilled trade experience. For the guys in MS, they are likely to look forward to taking a job paying 1/4 to 1/3 what they formerly made.

Finally, regarding college, yes choice of degree is huge. Debt while not great, may be your only serious option depending on the choice of study. I went to law school at a state school so tuition was lower than other alternatives. However, for the 1st year, you were instructed not to work at all and that they would hold it against you if your grades slipped. 2nd and 3rd year, you were not supposed to work over 20 hours. Sure, some ignored it, but I wanted to ensure I got the education I was paying for. Since my family isnt wealthy, I had to finance it. However, I considered it an investment into my future and am currently in a job making great money for someone my age and this is a career that I could reasonable work in for another 40 years if I wanted to. On the other hand, my sister attended a more prestigious private school and amassed the same amount of debt for an undergraduate degree that she is currently unable to find work with

Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 PM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
They are called baby boomers, and they are the worst generation that ever existed. They are the true entitled ones and also the most inept. The fact that they have a lack of empathy is alarming. They are the main people who run around like a chicken with it's head cut off persecuting the unemployed with accusations of laziness and entitlement attitudes when there are people who would be happy with any job they could find. They are unaware of how the world has changed and how jobs have changed. It all has to do with the mentality. Nobody cares about how some old guy got a job as a teen by walking down the street and asking, then retired 40 years later. That doesn't exist anymore.

I'm tired of all the dogma they try to push. They act like just because their life worked out that yours should too and if not you don't deserve to live.

In the past on this forum when teenagers or people with limited education have posted wondering why they can't find a job, you get some high and mighty older person who paints themselves as a hero, and how they never had it tough finding work, and continue to go on a huge lecture about what the teen or person is doing wrong. As if they know more about a person then that person knows about themselves. More often then not they are full of bologna but try to play themselves off as if they can do no wrong.

These same conservative types are the ones with most control, and they are preventing the majority from prospering.
So this is a political discussion now?

While I do understand the lack of empathy (I have had some older people that question why you don't get a job right on the spot because they did back in the day), I wish younger people would cherish the opportunity to get a higher education (an option many of our elders didnt get).

Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
I wish younger people would cherish the opportunity to get a higher education (an option many of our elders didnt get).
, or obtain advanced training after high school.

As part of the first generation in my family to get degrees long ago, I fully understand your sentiments.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
They are the true entitled ones and also the most inept.
Kinda like feeling entitled to a job that you are not qualified for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Honestly the odds are pretty stacked against me. I'm a total social retard/outcast who dropped out of CC due to inability to learn basic high school math and later fired from a trades program for incompetence. I should be lucky to be even getting $9 an hour.

I also live in a small town of 2,000 and have no friends, family, or any kind of contacts. Completely incapable of communicating or networking.
It sounds like the issue is not with the education... No offense. People are too quick to judge outside forces for their own failures, but when others achieve success, they claim there was no outside factors involved whatsoever... And really, luck is an all to often overlooked part of the equation.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I worked for a management team through the eighties that all had "failed high school together, learned their social skills gigging in a band, and their business skills selling pot to their high school friends."

You can imagine what their "attitude" was towards, as an example, the promotion of capable females in the workplace. Everything was a fight. There was a literal "celebration" of ignorance.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I worked for a management team through the eighties that all had "failed high school together, learned their social skills gigging in a band, and their business skills selling pot to their high school friends."

You can imagine what their "attitude" was towards, as an example, the promotion of capable females in the workplace. Everything was a fight. There was a literal "celebration" of ignorance.
Why does this video suddenly spring to my mind? LOL

Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible - YouTube

Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Why does this video suddenly spring to my mind? LOL

Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible - YouTube
Good times ...

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM

58 posts, read 82,437 times
I wouldn't say not worth nothing. If I didn't have my GED I probably wouldn't have my job and I make 25k a year. After a couple years at this company it will be approaching 35k.

Sometimes it comes down to no nuts no glory. I couldn't find employment where I'm from so I moved 2000 miles away from where I'm from with nothing but lint in my pockets and lived in shelters for a short period of time. It was a risk but I knew oppurtunites in an industrial meat packing town with 3% unemployment were there for me that don't exist in my white collar, no industry 10% unemployment town.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM

547 posts, read 939,259 times
Quote:

People also need to be realistic about jobs after school, and they need to avoid useless degrees or degrees that cost a lot of money to obtain but the jobs are low paying or scarce. For instance, my brother got a bachelor's degree in history. Why? Because he likes history. But unless you get a master's or a doctorate, you're not likely to make a really good living, or even find a job, with a degree in history. So...after all that school, he ended up being a landman - a job that doesn't even require a college degree!
Did you brother want to be a landman in the first place? Did he go to college because other people around him were going to college like friends from high school?

Does he feel like he wasted time, money, and effort in getting a bachelors degree only to realize he's never going to use it?

I would imagine a lot of people across the country feel that way only after they've been out of college for 5 to 10 years and haven't used their college degree in a job that required a college degree even if the job is unrelated to what they studied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment