Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

914 posts, read 943,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
This thread made me think of the movie Joe Versus The Volcano.....

Joe vs The Volcano - Joe Quits - YouTube
Oh, God...one GREAT scene in an otherwise fairly ****ty movie, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I guess due to my background, I'm a little more disciplined than some people I work with.
I go to work for nothing more, than get the job DONE to the best of my ability, collect a paycheck and get the hell out.
I don't socialize or date coworkers, or chum with them at break. I'm there for the $$$ and I'm out. Employment is not supposed to be a popularity contest...
Hummm, I used to have your same attitude about workplaces, basically for my own self-preservation.
There were times it backfired and a small clique did not like me, and thus did their level best to get me fired...sometimes succeeding. But generally, it is not a good idea to shyt where you eat.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is this a problem? I'm not management but those are the only things I care about.

There are 24 hours in a day. I give up 8 of those for work. I use the other hours for personal fulfillment.
It's a problem because most people do not wish to spend a third of their lives in hell.

This is why I am glad I started my own company. I'll do whatever I must to keep it going, and, if I am ever in a position to have to go back to corporate hell america, I'd sooner slit my wrists. It's a horrible, wretched place.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Not to mention that some in HR (because they hold the power) feel free to discuss employees' private health matters, including medications, personal issues, etc. in public.
That would be a direct violation of the law. If you have any proof they are discussing your private health information with people not authorized to know about it, you could sue them under the HIPAA Act.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I agree with this!

I see lots of miserable people at my job, so devoid of any kind of personality. They are drone-like and probably function on autopilot. I'm sure lots of people who work in corporate America are on antidepressants of some kind. I often think they should start start dispensing Prozac in the vending machines at work to save people the trouble of going to a shrink.

People who rat on others or put someone else's job in jeopardy to get ahead must be lacking somewhere on an emotional level, or maybe being cold and heartless are considered good traits rather than bad traits in the corporate world.
This. By management.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM

322 posts, read 384,920 times
I deal with this frustration by going to the gym after work. Nothing like unloading my job frustration on the treadmill and the free weights. I figure it's the healthiest way to deal with it.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
I deal with this frustration by going to the gym after work. Nothing like unloading my job frustration on the treadmill and the free weights. I figure it's the healthiest way to deal with it.
Agreed. It's much healthier than drinking away your sorrows.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
I was doing this for awhile also, and it really does help as far as releasing the frustration; if it weren't for all the morons you have to deal with at the gym

Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM

475 posts, read 853,200 times
I'm a blue-collar guy, master mechanic and the people I work with are great guys actually, even our manager is fun to be around and I think what makes our team work well together is that even though we know our boss is nice and treats us well we also know that we have to work and get the job done. We have a respect for each other and our boss knows that we will do what we have to do get the cars out and back to the customers. We have fun but we're also not afraid to job in and work.

I've worked for some big automotive groups before and they suck, Treat people like garbage, favorite certain techs over others, backstabbing, the list goes on. I left the corporate world a year ago and now work with an independent and have found much more happiness working with a smaller team of guys then what the larger dealer groups and national service chains had to offer.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
people become unfriendly in the workplace from having grievances filed against them for EEOC violations real or alleged.
they also become unfriendly when they are treated in a sexist and racist manner but bek they are white cant defend themselves under the same EEOC rules. just a hint stop punching people in the face and they will smile at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment