Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times

Advertisements

Any networking opportunity is not a waste of time if you use it properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 39,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
This is the thing that puzzles me... I get emails about so and so "endorsing" me... and though I may have met the person in a jobseekers group (3+ years ago) they have NEVER seen my work or know anything
about it! How can that hold any weight when other people know that too?? I do have a few recommendations from "real life" former colleagues but this "endorsement" thing leaves me scratching my head. It means nothing. Can someone explain the value of this to me??
I've tried to turn off "endorsements" because I think it's useless. Strangers who know nothing of my skills are constantly giving me props for something they know nothing about. It's a pointless feature of LinkedIn.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM

57 posts, read 109,483 times
After graduating , I couldn't find a job for about 5 months. A month ago I started using LinkedIn and just starting connecting with everyone in the field I wanted to be in and also posted some messages in my college group saying I was looking for a job (College alum from your university like to hire from within their own college-that is a fact). To make a short story short , someone posted on it and I got my first job. Ive also gotten two other job interviews in the last week from it for pretty decent positions. I think it works best if you have a way in , like through a college. My brother tried using it and because he didn't go to college , its hard to just send random people invites.

So short answer..it works but only if you use it correctly , people wont just start sending you offers and invites , you have to go to them.

Also a tip , where it asks for college or your town , post looking for a job in whatever field or post a message of what your looking for , it worked for me. Before people saw my profile , all it would say was my name and my last job or where I graduated , but if you put what your looking for , it attracts more recruiters.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,765,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limepenquin View Post
I started with LinkedIn about 3-4 years ago. I have about 275 connections and most are in the same industry as me or a recruiter.

I've joined industry groups and comment on interesting articles.

I always politely thank people who I ask to network and offer my assistance, if I am able to give it.

I have listed my career progression and industry awards and followed all the so-called "rules" for using LinkedIn as it's intended to be used.

I have tried to reach out to others for information about their company while maintaining a professional friendliness.

What I often get back is......nothing. Oh, the occasional person will acknowledge my "Thank You" message but more often than not, Zippo! Zilch! Nada!

I was under the impression that LinkedIn is for the purpose of networking. A means to build relationships so one person or the other can improve their odds of securing another job at some point. If not secure a job, at least a group of industry professionals who may offer guidance on career or other work related subjects.

It seems to be more like Facebook: A means to secure the most "friends" while trolling in the background and not participating with your "friends." Maybe that's harsh but I feel like I missed the memo at some point regarding LinkedIn. I have come across some great articles but really, I could have found them anyway on Forbes.

What's your take on LinkedIn? Do you think it's helpful to you or are you having a similar experience.

If you're having good luck in your networking efforts, what's your secret?
I only accept one in ten of my invitations and only from people I honestly think I will want to contact in the future. .

Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM

501 posts, read 1,051,431 times
For me, it worked amazingly. My father recommended that I make one to network with previous and high ranking co-workers. No lie, within 10 minutes of starting to add people, I was offered a job by a previous co-worker.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,829,355 times
Wow many of you dont know how to use it Linkedin correctly. You guys honestly think that Linkedin exists for recruiting purposes?

Maybe you should sll educate yourself first. I use Linkedin for business, and its don re wonders. I can teach you how to use it if you would like.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM

48 posts, read 67,308 times
Linked In seems to me like another popularity contest. For those who say they use it for keeping up with friends, I have a question – what is wrong with email or your phone? And people who say a recruiter contacted them? Honestly, is there a benefit to talking with someone who isn’t intelligent enough to remember your name a week later? Recruiters are recruiters because they don’t have the skills to be valuable anywhere else (at least that has been my experience in over 20 years). Most of them haven't a clue and couldn't remember any detail if their life depended on it. I have had more than one screw up a good job opportunity.

I think it is all about being part of the 'in crowd' and wanting to blow one’s self up so others will see you as bigger than life. Just like anywhere else, the snobs will work with the snobs. I have people I have known for decades and their linked in profiles don’t match their true personality (or experience) at all. How they describe themselves is surreal. Just another place people can escape from reality and make a world of their own where they are something special.

If employers put any stock in a person’s linked in profile at all, I think they are very misguided. Who wants all their private history out there for anyone to read anyway? Just another facebook.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Wow many of you dont know how to use it Linkedin correctly. You guys honestly think that Linkedin exists for recruiting purposes?

Maybe you should sll educate yourself first. I use Linkedin for business, and its don re wonders. I can teach you how to use it if you would like.
How are people using it incorrectly? From what I understand, LinkedIn is a huge recruitment source. I have been to interviews where I walked past the offices of recruiters/HR reps and saw LinkedIn brought up on their web browser. Recruiters have even told me they use LinkedIn as a way to seek potential candidates.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
How are people using it incorrectly? From what I understand, LinkedIn is a huge recruitment source. I have been to interviews where I walked past the offices of recruiters/HR reps and saw LinkedIn brought up on their web browser. Recruiters have even told me they use LinkedIn as a way to seek potential candidates.
Of course its used as a recruiting tool but thats not the reason it exists. It bothers me that people complain they havent ever been contacted by a recruiter even though they have a Linkedin profile. Thats not the purpose of Linkedin. Its not a recruiting and job website, its main purpose is a networking tool. If you sign up to Linkedin for the sole purpose to be recruited, you are missing the entire purpose of why it exidts.

yes its a great tool for recruitment, but again its not why exists.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynottellit View Post
Linked In seems to me like another popularity contest. For those who say they use it for keeping up with friends, I have a question – what is wrong with email or your phone? And people who say a recruiter contacted them? Honestly, is there a benefit to talking with someone who isn’t intelligent enough to remember your name a week later? Recruiters are recruiters because they don’t have the skills to be valuable anywhere else (at least that has been my experience in over 20 years). Most of them haven't a clue and couldn't remember any detail if their life depended on it. I have had more than one screw up a good job opportunity.

I think it is all about being part of the 'in crowd' and wanting to blow one’s self up so others will see you as bigger than life. Just like anywhere else, the snobs will work with the snobs. I have people I have known for decades and their linked in profiles don’t match their true personality (or experience) at all. How they describe themselves is surreal. Just another place people can escape from reality and make a world of their own where they are something special.

If employers put any stock in a person’s linked in profile at all, I think they are very misguided. Who wants all their private history out there for anyone to read anyway? Just another facebook.
Wtf. Another uneducated fool on why Linkedin exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment