Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

It has to do with their work ethic and whether they get a sense of accomplishment, not their finances.

People who don't have to work, and don't want to work, don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
My employer offers the traditional defined-benefit pension. We have many people who were hired in the 1970s, but remain working, despite having long ago attained the eligibility criteria for full retirement. Some keep working because the job enthuses them. Others are trying to maximize retirement, going beyond mere comfort and building a higher material quality of life in eventual retirement than they would have enjoyed as regular employees. Others go to the office to avoid spending 24/7 with their spouse. Still others are just terrified of the concept of retirement.

We have very few younger people who are materially ready to retire, as nearly all have school-aged children, and even the most consummate savers have been ravaged by stock market declines. The older folks, however, have enough life-experience not to have bought low and sold high. Many are millionaires (in addition to their defined-benefit pensions).

I can't report that wealth and retirement-eligibility necessarily lead to sloth or indifference, but it does lead to loss of productivity, for demographic reasons. With a workforce that won't turn over, and no new-hires to train, long-term relevance of the institution is threatened.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I've worked with a few people like this, and occasionally myself have had jobs I didn't need. (as in a minimal part time job). For the most part the people are as stated above, working because they want to be, and there is something liberating about not having to be there.

The only exception is a girl at one of my jobs now. I could tell that she didn't care once her husband got a promotion because she stopped doing things in the office that she used to keep on top of. Every month when I balance the checkbook, there are things missing that I need to research and input. I found out yesterday she's not coming back from her maternity leave, so that all makes sense now. She really doesn't care because she doesn't need the money anymore.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

89 posts, read 113,465 times
Frankly, I work because my parents would talk a whole lot of crap if I didn't. They are very much the "everyone HAS to work" type. I have student loans, so you could say the "need" is there. But I have a lot of money saved and could make it for a while without working even despite paying the loans, and, even so, my parents could pay the loans (I wouldn't have them do this on purpose). I spend a lot of money--I am a tech freak, so I buy tons of gadgets and I love to travel, dump money on big-ticket out-of-town sporting events, etc--and still, I'd have money to survive without working. So, I don't actually feel like I need to work, and some of my coworkers know this.

Contrary to some of the other comments here, I actually do hate my job and hate going in in the morning, as has been the case with most jobs I've worked at some point. This, combined with feeling that I don't need to work, leads me to leave early sometimes (only if I'm done with my work), to make sure I take at least one day off every month to recharge, to make plans to go out of town when I'd like to, etc. I live with very little fear over losing my job, but I get paid hourly, which means making plans to miss work and leaving early lessens how much money I make. This is what my coworkers comment on, because they can't understand someone not wanting to get paid a full 40 hours or more since they need the money. Some of my coworkers act like they are happy to work overtime. Some work two jobs. Some never ever miss work, even some of the salaried ones. Some people joke about me being rich or not needing the money. Several months ago last year, one of my coworkers wrote on Facebook on a day where several people were out, including me, about how she can't understand why people have jobs and don't want to come to work (I thought virtually everyone understood that--jobs freakin' suck). I have a coworker who leaves early and misses work, and he lives with his girlfriend's parents. People talk about him behind his back, just harping on how he could be getting paid for a full 40 hours and what he could do with that money, etc. They probably say I spend money on stupid things, like overpaying for football tickets, airfare and hotel room to a game I could watch on TV. You know how people are.

I am absolutely the type of person who would not work if I didn't "have to," although I have a better work ethic when I'm at work than most people do. I have lived through not having a job with my parents, and I don't want to go back to that--it was just very annoying dealing with them, and this was back when I was unemployed due to struggling to find work...they were still complete nags. Just sitting home all day or traveling would be completely unacceptable to them. I will say, though, that I am accustomed to being able to buy what I want when I want, and that does encourage me to not quit jobs without having another one lined up. I like that I have money saved and am nowhere near living paycheck to paycheck. I went through a period when this wasn't the case, and I was incredibly unhappy. So, all of that encourages me to keep working.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I don't think anyone who says they don't need to work is telling the truth. If they really didn't need to work, they'd do volunteer work or something else instead of working in an office. However, there are plenty of people who can survive without the money, but either don't want to or need the work experience to stay current. I am one of those people, but I love my job and do need to work if I want to have any spending money or any hope of a career once my child goes to school (my future income will probably put him through college).

When I was a public school teacher a lot of women were only working until they got married and had kids. That was common and I hated it, because their whole attitude was, I'll just go along with all this for a little while because in a year or so I'll be pregnant and then I'll stay home. It was like everyone was temporary in a way. It kind of sucked for those of us who felt like we were lifers in prison and they were getting early release.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Years ago I got promoted and needed to hire a Credit Manager to replace me. A young lady came in and applied and it turns out her family is LOADED. Dad has several Rolls Royces, apartment in NY with a full time Chauffeur, and literally, more money than God. Her Husband also worked for the Dad and made tons of money a year.

When I asked her why she wanted this job she told me because she was tired of staying home and arranging roses in a vase. I liked her and wanted to hire her, but the President of our company said he felt only people who needed money had a good work ethic. Over his objections, I hired her.

She turned out to be one of the best employees we had, everyone liked her because she was such a nice person and she worked very hard at her job. Even the President had to admit she was great. She never threw the fact that she was richer than any of us in our faces, and was actually very down to earth. She never missed work, showed up on time, and worked hard all day long.

Sort of, I am in that same boat. I retired twice and went back to work both times because I actually like working better than not working. I feel more alive, my mind gets challenged every day, and my health is better from all the physical activity. I bust my tail for my employer and feel I do a really good job at what I do. I could stay home and relax, or play with my toys all day, but this is so much better for me.

So, in my opinion and experience, a person does not need to be hurting for money to be a very good employee in all respects.

Don

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't think anyone who says they don't need to work is telling the truth. If they really didn't need to work, they'd do volunteer work or something else instead of working in an office. However, there are plenty of people who can survive without the money, but either don't want to or need the work experience to stay current. I am one of those people, but I love my job and do need to work if I want to have any spending money or any hope of a career once my child goes to school (my future income will probably put him through college).

When I was a public school teacher a lot of women were only working until they got married and had kids. That was common and I hated it, because their whole attitude was, I'll just go along with all this for a little while because in a year or so I'll be pregnant and then I'll stay home. It was like everyone was temporary in a way. It kind of sucked for those of us who felt like we were lifers in prison and they were getting early release.

Because you would do volunteer work does not mean that they would do volunteer work. And why do you assume they are working in an office?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Ive had mixed results.

1 was a software engineer. He did throw it in everyones face that his father was insanely rich, he didnt need to do this etc. His skills sucked, and he thought he was great. It was horrible. The opposite of what everyone here has said. He eventually got laid off, and went to law school where he is now, intending to do lawyer work for the GOP or Tea Party once he graduated.

Others...worked hard, they were rarely as....driven, but in a lot of ways they ended up with better results because of that. They didnt stress about things as much.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
knew a CEO that was set to retire and got wind the company was going to be restructured after he left...

He decided to wait untill he was sure the people that worked there were taken care of...

He did not need to work for money...

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Worked with a few. And there are some who don't yet qualify for Medicare who stay for the medical "health care" benefits. Perhaps Obamacare will reduce that. Usually pleasant employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment