Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 AM

174 posts, read 332,595 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some insight to my problem here, would be greatly appreciated if I could get some advice.

Long story short, the same company posted 2 very similar positions a couple of days ago. I thought they were the same and accidentally applied to the one I was overqualified for. (The education requirement is the equivalent to that of a High School grad.) I got a call for an interview today. The position I actually wanted to apply for is for an account executive position which is a position for a degree holder, and requires some experience which I do have.

So, what should I do in this case? Should I submit another application for the higher role before my interview, or should I mention it to my interviewer? I don't mind more interview opportunities but really don't want to be applying for a job that's meant for a high school grad.

This is going to be a phone interview by the way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
I just hope you didn't put "attention to detail" on your resume.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Go along with the phone interview and make no mention of the other position (especially if this is a large corporate company). Also, apply for the other position too. If it's a very big company, they won't even make the connection. These days, it can be hard just to secure an interview. Even if you tell them what happened during the phone interview, they'll likely just tell you you need to apply for the other position seperately. Then, they'll take you out of the running for the lower job, and you may not make the cut for an interview with the higher position. That will mess up your chances for both positions.

Also, if you don't know already, there are lots of people that have Bachelors and even Masters degrees that are working jobs that require nothing more than a HS diploma right now.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,642 times
I say apply for the other position, too. No one will notice.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM

174 posts, read 332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I just hope you didn't put "attention to detail" on your resume.
LOL nope..I didn't. It's not really deemed as a "necessary" skill anyway...in my opinion just another filler word in this world of job hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Go along with the phone interview and make no mention of the other position (especially if this is a large corporate company). Also, apply for the other position too. If it's a very big company, they won't even make the connection. These days, it can be hard just to secure an interview. Even if you tell them what happened during the phone interview, they'll likely just tell you you need to apply for the other position seperately. Then, they'll take you out of the running for the lower job, and you may not make the cut for an interview with the higher position. That will mess up your chances for both positions.

Also, if you don't know already, there are lots of people that have Bachelors and even Masters degrees that are working jobs that require nothing more than a HS diploma right now.
Yeah...thanks for the advice. Well, this job will be in Asia - while I do have the right to work there, I do have to pay for my own rent. A job such as the one i'm interviewing for is less than entry level, and will be at a salary level such that it would be unaffordable for me to live on. It's not really about whether it's for a "university" level grad or not, it's just that with the position comes a very low salary which wouldn't be feasible for me.

Nonetheless, good advice, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment