Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

I started my job 2 months ago and since day one I can't stop hearing about the person I replaced. It is a very small office and they were very well liked and good at the job, and were there for less than a year. I enjoy my coworkers and don't believe they do it to hurt me at all, and are likely unaware that it makes me uncomfortable.

The job by itself is very challenging and is outside of my skillset so I have had a steep learning curve. I also deal with depression and anxiety so the transition has not been easy. I have accepted that I am not the person I replaced, and that with time I will step out of that shadow. But how do I deal with the constant reminders? I don't want to confront the staff but I want them to know that it's hard for me to hear praise about the old employee when I feel like I'm really struggling with my basic job duties.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Bring donuts in once per week.

I'm serious about this.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,615 times
I'm sorry I don't have advice, except to maybe learn as much as you can as fast as you can, but I have been in your shoes.

I was so impressed with the interviews I had and how nice they were to me, that I accepted the position. Mistake, I did not have enough of the skills for the position, my resume was not embellished, so not sure why I was hired (this was years ago when jobs were much easier to find).

The person who had the job before I did, was still with the company and trained me (although you knew she hated doing that part of it), but she had been put on a pedestal by the company and was just short of a God.

They had paid for her to go back to school, where she received straight A+'s.

I bailed after 3 months, 98% of the reason was that I just didn't have the experience for the job.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
It can be hard for staff to when a long time experienced employee who was well liked leaves. Many people get comfortable and do not like change. Change brings on the unknown when things were in a position they knew what to expect day to day, And its gone now. Your co workers are basically venting because of how the change could affect them, With no idea that its making you uncomfortable. However this will not go on forever. Once a point of acceptance and realization is reached that this is how it is now it will ease. Focus on excelling at the job, Treat people with respect (As it sounds like you are already) and you will have no trouble. It's this settling in period that coupled with the mechanics of the job itself that are tough in the beginning.

I can use an example from my own work life. 3 years ago I had my co-worker who I worked with for years and was great to work with and an ace at her job leave, And it caused some anxiety for me. (We are a 2 person department) Over a period of about a year or so I went through several people who were not good or just passable until someone joined my team who is there for years now and is really great. This is an example of the anxiety change can cause in a staffing situation. I found myself saying "We used to do it like this" in regards to certain things like scheduling, communication etc. I had to get used to the change overall. Its human nature.

You are 2 months in, Hang in there, stay focused-They will accept it in a short while.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Don't say anything. Just smile when they bring up the old person and do your job well.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
This is a difficult situation, and my advice is to "roll with it." In other words, don't try to fight it, and in time your work will demonstrate that you are as good or better. Oddly I had the opposite experience when hired here, the two people before me in the position had both been fired for incompetence and I heard all about it often from people in our group as well as other departments.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It can be hard for staff to when a long time experienced employee who was well liked leaves. Many people get comfortable and do not like change. Change brings on the unknown when things were in a position they knew what to expect day to day, And its gone now. Your co workers are basically venting because of how the change could affect them, With no idea that its making you uncomfortable. However this will not go on forever. Once a point of acceptance and realization is reached that this is how it is now it will ease. Focus on excelling at the job, Treat people with respect (As it sounds like you are already) and you will have no trouble. It's this settling in period that coupled with the mechanics of the job itself that are tough in the beginning.

I can use an example from my own work life. 3 years ago I had my co-worker who I worked with for years and was great to work with and an ace at her job leave, And it caused some anxiety for me. (We are a 2 person department) Over a period of about a year or so I went through several people who were not good or just passable until someone joined my team who is there for years now and is really great. This is an example of the anxiety change can cause in a staffing situation. I found myself saying "We used to do it like this" in regards to certain things like scheduling, communication etc. I had to get used to the change overall. Its human nature.

You are 2 months in, Hang in there, stay focused-They will accept it in a short while.
The OP said the person they replaced was in the position less than a year, hardly long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Don't say anything. Just smile when they bring up the old person and do your job well.
This. Just continue to do your best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment