Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for information on teaching english in Korea and came across this site using a goodle search. I have visited Dave's ESL cafe but found it to be very negative regarding Korea. I have so many questions about the area of teaching / life in Korea and feel that I would like answers to judge for myself whether it is something I want to pursue.

Has anyone else taught in english in Korea, specifically in a public school? I am British and up to yet havent been able to find many UK nationals teaching in this country, although its definiely allowed.

I have decided that I am better suited to a public school based on that I would prefer daytime classes / children / settled work life etc. I am eligible for this having a degree and a CELTA qualification. I am interested in lifestyle mainly; what are the difference between Seoul and Buzan (the areas I am likely to be interested in living, definitely need somewhere populated / things to do and visit / people). I am likely to be the only foreigner in that particular school or one of a group / department? What can I expect in terms of accomodation?

Thanks

P_R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Be careful, because a lot of these jobs are scams. I do know someone whose kid taught English in Korea for 2 years, enjoyed it and had no problems. Sorry I don't know what agency he went through, or many other details but he came back and is now looking at doing the same in Japan. He was happy with the accommodations, and had a chance to do some traveling around on days off.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM

59 posts, read 101,748 times
Dave's Esl cafe generally has a bunch of negative nancies. There are negative issues here, but same goes with other areas. For looking at jobs, Daves Esl is good and probably will have less scams as people should pay to post on there. Craigslist Seoul also has lots of postings and scams can flow through there as posting is unfiltered.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM

Continued:

I have many British national friends that teach at public schools in the greater Seoul metro area. The pay is usually around 2.1m KRW ($2000 USD) and housing is provided rent-free. Housing is usually a small studio.

Generally, it has been getting more competitive to teach in Korea but as you have a CELTA, it should be a little easier for you to find a job. You will generally not be the only foreigner in a public school. The hours tend to be much better than private schools. Private schools can range from being very nice to being very abusive in terms of hours and treatment.

Seoul is main city in Korea and most money is concentrated in the area. It is a fairly high-strung city where people are not really relaxed. Parents are very sensitive to education. Busan is a coastal city which tends to be more relaxed, slower but also has much less in terms of conveniences especially for foreign nationals.

Things to do vary. If you want to keep an expat lifestyle, you will bleed cash and spend all you make. Most of my British friends teaching at public schools send about 4500 GBP back per calendar. That allows for going out on Saturdays, dinner in a restaurant once or twice a week, occasional taxis, and one or two trips down to the Philippines or Bali during vacation.

Korea is a homogenous country and culture and explicitly discriminates on the basis of gender, nationality, and race. The most favored teachers are females from North America. While not impossible, Blacks have a substantially harder time finding jobs than Whites. There is a preconceived notion that foreigners from South Africa have AIDS. Every single school, employer, and recruiter will ask for a picture along with your resume. What do you think that's for?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Thank you Seoulja, I had noticed that there seems to be a culture of "if your face fits" as opposed to your teaching qualifications/performance. I am still keen.

P_R

Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 PM

69 posts, read 66,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Rain View Post
Thank you Seoulja, I had noticed that there seems to be a culture of "if your face fits" as opposed to your teaching qualifications/performance. I am still keen.

P_R
If you are a white, female and young(pretty), go for it,
otherwise, don't go.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2014_hi_there View Post
If you are a white, female and young(pretty), go for it,
otherwise, don't go.
How young is "young" ?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple-rain View Post
how young is "young" ?
20 ~ 35

Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM

I was born and raised in S. Korea, I am a Korean-American, I lived 35 years in S. Korea...I know it.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2014_hi_there View Post
20 ~ 35
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment