Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM

475 posts, read 648,457 times

Advertisements

I am the supervisor of a small staff for a small organization. I have been with this organization a little less than a year. One of my staff that has the longest tenure is causing significant problems. She makes the same mistakes on one of her tasks continually and when I correct her and try and teach her she responds that she is a slow learner and that my correction of her is too harsh. I usually use comments such as "wrong code", "no", or "?". Further she makes excuses for her mistakes and tries to blame me for not being clearer about how I told her to do the task. None of the others have this problem with me.

I have worked with her and supported her even when my manager brings customer complaints about her to me (more than once). I have defended her and given her the benefit of the doubt. I can no longer do that as it not only jeopardizes the integrity of what we provide but also threatens the health of our workplace as in inter-personal health.

I have determined that this week I will sit down with her and the HR manager and issue a verbal warning as per the Union contract. My goals are twofold. One, that this will get her attention and force her to realize that she has to own her job tasks/responsibilities that is be accountable and two, provide examples of good boundaries for the rest of my staff.

I truly do want to save her job, but the priority here is the integrity of the service we provide and the health of the workplace atmosphere.

So what do any of you think? I would appreciate comments especially from longtime supervisors.

Thanks.

Last edited by blazertrek50; 03-09-2014 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
1 year or 100, nobody should be treated specially. I hate working with the ten year eff up that is only still there to act as a lawn ornament.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
1 year or 100, nobody should be treated specially. I hate working with the ten year eff up that is only still there to act as a lawn ornament.
I agree. In my experience unions promote mediocrity over hard working proactive employees. They also limit the amount hard working employees can make as a trade-off for the "just cause" clause. Though I would posit that unions are still around due to corporate greed and the lack of loyalty to employees. Sad huh?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,325 times
Understandable that you want to save her job, but truth be told, she is the only one who can save her job. My own take on this would be that honesty is the best policy. Tell her like you posted in this forum, be up front with her. It's up to her what she does with it!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Companies without unions are just as bad. Overall, most companies do a p___ poor job of meritocracy.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Understandable that you want to save her job, but truth be told, she is the only one who can save her job. My own take on this would be that honesty is the best policy. Tell her like you posted in this forum, be up front with her. It's up to her what she does with it!
Excellent commentary and exactly my thinking! Thanks for your input!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 PM

83 posts, read 149,162 times
I can give a perspective because I know the situation from the other end. I have been in the situation where my superior at work had to give me a warning.

At the time, due to personnal issues I had a period where I could not tolerate stress very well and it showed in my behavior, causing a tense athmosphere within the team. I was aware of the pressure and stress that I felt, but I thought I was "suffering silently" and I was not aware that it was that visible to my co-workers and causing them stress.

My boss handled the situation very well and I am so thankful to him for that. He asked me to a meeting with him and a representative from HR. They explained how the situation presented itself to them and to others in the team, and that they expect me to do something about my behavoir. They made it clear that they supported me, valued my skills and wanted to keep me on the team, and they set a date to re-evaluate. All was put in writing and signed by myself and my boss.

For me, of course it was not a pleasant experience, but it helped me realise that I had to deal with my situation more proactively. I realised that I had to do what I could to improve my response to stressful situations in my personnel and professional life. I took sessions with a personal coach for half a year. It was no small expense, but it was worth it and I am still with the company today five years later. I do not regret the financial "investment" because that was what I had to do to take responsibility for the situation.

So I took my warning as an opportunity instead of a threat. This was only possible because my boss was very clear about his perception of the situation and about his expectations, but supportive at the same time.

So from my experience I would give the following advice (speaking "from the other side"):
1) to have a formal conversation about this, not just a written warning. A written warning will be understood as threat, she will not able to ask for more feedback and present her side. It will feel like you are already set on firing her, which might totally paralyze her.

2) Take time to explain what your perception of the problem is, be open about what feedback you get from others (customers and co-workers) - she might not be aware because collegues rarely say such things to the person directely, but rather behind her back.

3) Make it clear that you want to save her job, and that she has your support, otherwise she will get defensive and you will achieve nothing.

Good luck!
Samantha

Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post

I have worked with her and supported her even when my manager brings customer complaints about her to me (more than once).
My guess is that the former supervisor didn't issue the employee any warnings because of her longevity and management is looking for a fresh and unbiased supervisor to do what's supposed to be done. Just do it by the book - that's part of the job you're paid to do.

I don't agree with just sitting down with her and not issuing a formal warning. If she gets "defensive" or "paralyzed" over a warning then, bluntly, that's her problem. I have decades of experience under my belt as an employee with supervisory duties and as a business owner with employees. Gentle but firm and in accordance with accepted procedures is always the best path to take and if an employee reacts to it with defensiveness, disdain or plain rudeness then their future path with the company is a short one. Complaints should always be taken seriously and complaints from customers top all. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Companies without unions are just as bad. Overall, most companies do a p___ poor job of meritocracy.
that is true but some companies want the best workers at the lowest price and wonder why there company is not growing and just a mediocre company. At the end of the day all you are is a wage slave and once you cant make the company a buck they throw you in the trash.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
I agree. In my experience unions promote mediocrity over hard working proactive employees. They also limit the amount hard working employees can make as a trade-off for the "just cause" clause. Though I would posit that unions are still around due to corporate greed and the lack of loyalty to employees. Sad huh?
Agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment