Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM

154 posts, read 361,683 times

Advertisements

You get a call and you see its from an employer, you pick and answer it:

you: Hi, this is John
employer: Hi John, this is Jane from Company X calling in regard to an application you submitted about X position

how do you respond after that? I usually respond with, "OH hi, thank you for calling". but it sounds really unprofessional...What can i say instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:53 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,556 times
Why would thanking them for calling sound unprofessional? I'm not seeing the issue. I suppose you could instead say "Hello, Jane, nice to speak with you?."

Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
That sounds perfectly fine to me.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Being polite in an often rude world goes a long way. I ask my prospects how I can earn the right to do business with.........they like it...........big change from arrogant salespeople.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,835 times
Exclamation How to Respond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post

employer: Hi John, this is Jane from Company X calling in regard to an application you submitted about X position

how do you respond after that? I usually respond with, "OH hi, thank you for calling". but it sounds really unprofessional...What can i say instead?

Turner...

You need to put your thinking cap on!

Well, you did ask what you might have said, instead, I guess I'll give you that.

Once you see an employer [where you had applied] is on the phone, you need to immediately get into the correct posture:

1. Is the ad handy so you can refer to it?

2. Is your resume handy so you can refer to it?

3. Is your part in how you are very qualified fixed in your brain?

4. Do you have your schedule in front of you so know what days/time slots you have available for a F2F interview?

Now you are ready. You can either sound normal [BORING!] or you can sound prepared!

"Oh, hello, Jane! I'm pleased to hear from you, thank you for taking the time to call me!

You're calling about the Purchasing Manager opportunity?"

[don't say 'job'; remember, joining the Navy is not a 'job', it is an 'adventure']

"Yes", she says, "I am".

"Great!" you say, "...what else can I tell you about my qualifications?"

What have you done here?

Well, some would say you have 'taken control' and to a point that is true but since Jane must be allowed to believe she is in the driver's seat, we can only go so far with this.

You have, though, demonstrated your enthusiasm and initiative. You are not just standing there like a dummy, waiting for it to all come to you- you have actively solicited her engagement and let her know right off you are Ready to Rock!

(You also have to temper how far you go with this by being a good listener and judging her mood and sensing her tempo. Ideally you want to be compatible to her listening of you. So do your part by letting her know you are on the dime and are ready to roll but don't run over the top of her. Just take the initiative to let her know you are an 'active listener' and she has your full attention.)

At this point, you may have derailed her. So be aware that she might want to back up and start over, letting you know she wants to know something more about something on your resume and that is the only reason she is calling.

Or, she may be pleased to know you want to get down to brass tacks and perhaps she will say that they want to see you in person.

(You never did tell us what Jane said she wanted, your response and how it was left. [Why do people who post never give us all the important information until after we pull teeth, asking for more detail?])

Anyway, the important part is not just how you say 'hello' but how you show the caller you are wide awake, alert and are ready to move on a dime, depending in which direction she chooses to take you.

Please remember that you are being assessed from the minute you pick up the phone.

What you say, how you say it and whether you seem to be motivated or are standing there, waiting to take orders.

If any of you jokers out there finds fault with my lengthy reply, please bear in mind that someone who is unsure of how to answer the phone is someone who can use some structure.

Paul....

Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 PM

79 posts, read 183,382 times
When a potential employer calls me, before I can even say anything to them, they tell me who they are and ask how I am, so I naturally (even though in real life I hate this) respond with, "Hi, I'm great! How are you?!" I smile when I say it even though they can't see me. They can hear the smile in my voice. Anyway, my point is I think what you say is just fine. I usually thank them for calling just before hanging up but either way is fine.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Turner...

You need to put your thinking cap on!

Well, you did ask what you might have said, instead, I guess I'll give you that.

Once you see an employer [where you had applied] is on the phone, you need to immediately get into the correct posture:

1. Is the ad handy so you can refer to it?

2. Is your resume handy so you can refer to it?

3. Is your part in how you are very qualified fixed in your brain?

4. Do you have your schedule in front of you so know what days/time slots you have available for a F2F interview?

Now you are ready. You can either sound normal [BORING!] or you can sound prepared!

"Oh, hello, Jane! I'm pleased to hear from you, thank you for taking the time to call me!

You're calling about the Purchasing Manager opportunity?"

[don't say 'job'; remember, joining the Navy is not a 'job', it is an 'adventure']

"Yes", she says, "I am".

"Great!" you say, "...what else can I tell you about my qualifications?"

What have you done here?

Well, some would say you have 'taken control' and to a point that is true but since Jane must be allowed to believe she is in the driver's seat, we can only go so far with this.

You have, though, demonstrated your enthusiasm and initiative. You are not just standing there like a dummy, waiting for it to all come to you- you have actively solicited her engagement and let her know right off you are Ready to Rock!

(You also have to temper how far you go with this by being a good listener and judging her mood and sensing her tempo. Ideally you want to be compatible to her listening of you. So do your part by letting her know you are on the dime and are ready to roll but don't run over the top of her. Just take the initiative to let her know you are an 'active listener' and she has your full attention.)

At this point, you may have derailed her. So be aware that she might want to back up and start over, letting you know she wants to know something more about something on your resume and that is the only reason she is calling.

Or, she may be pleased to know you want to get down to brass tacks and perhaps she will say that they want to see you in person.

(You never did tell us what Jane said she wanted, your response and how it was left. [Why do people who post never give us all the important information until after we pull teeth, asking for more detail?])

Anyway, the important part is not just how you say 'hello' but how you show the caller you are wide awake, alert and are ready to move on a dime, depending in which direction she chooses to take you.

Please remember that you are being assessed from the minute you pick up the phone.

What you say, how you say it and whether you seem to be motivated or are standing there, waiting to take orders.

If any of you jokers out there finds fault with my lengthy reply, please bear in mind that someone who is unsure of how to answer the phone is someone who can use some structure.

Paul....

Ok. This "joker" bit. Granted, I've hired more people than you in the last decade, so take it for what you will.

All this randomly spaced spew works great. If you have applied for ONE job. Everything from "Jane" down goes out the window if you have applied to 2 or more.

The premise of "keep your wits about and stand out" is the same, but you don't have to be an idiot to get it right. Know your qualifications (they won't ask on a random callback), be polite, clear and direct.

Suggest a time first, thank them for calling off the bat and don't over-think it.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post

Let the voicemail get it so you will know what job is and have time to get yourself prepared instead of being caught off guard. Also it would help to have a professional voicemail introduction so it can make the first impression.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Let the voicemail get it so you will know what job is and have time to get yourself prepared instead of being caught off guard. Also it would help to have a professional voicemail introduction so it can make the first impression.
This. And be prepared to cb within a few minutes of getting voicemail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment