Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times

Advertisements

How many times have we heard this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
The Onion, huh?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yeh, right. I suppose I'm fairly young for having a grandchild but I have never gotten a job that easily. Neither did my parents.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
While it is a parody, it is still true.

How many times do we hear on this forum alone about how people "just walked into a place and had a job that day." or "I got a job at the bottom and worked my way up?" There's no shortage of stories such as these which no longer reflect the modern economic reality.

Here are the sad facts: That lawnmowing job you had when you were a kid "back in the day" has been taken by illegal aliens. That old mill you got your first job at and worked your way up in? It's been closed for years and the jobs are gone, never to return. That white collar job you before you retired? That company sent most of its work overseas, though the vulture capital firm that bought them out make a lot of money gutting the place while laying everyone off.

Such is the truth of modern life in this nation.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

How many times do we hear on this forum alone about how people "just walked into a place and had a job that day." or "I got a job at the bottom and worked my way up?" There's no shortage of stories such as these which no longer reflect the modern economic reality.
The latter part is correct, but not what was in the article. I have done that twice, and it's still possible. Just recently in 2009 I got a job at my current employer as an analyst, and have since been promoted to supervisor, then manager. Almost doubled my salary in 3 years. It took many more years (15) to do that back in the 80s.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 AM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
The sad part is somebody,somewhere in the world will print this article as if it was true.
The Onion is often too smart for the room.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I've heard this many times from middle-aged people who haven't had to look for a job in years. If you walk into a place now and ask about employment opportunities, they often tell you to apply online. If you refuse to leave, they will call security or the police.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I think it is a pretty accurate portrayal of how that generation still believes that is the way you get a job.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Here are the sad facts: That lawnmowing job you had when you were a kid "back in the day" has been taken by illegal aliens. That old mill you got your first job at and worked your way up in? It's been closed for years and the jobs are gone, never to return. That white collar job you before you retired? That company sent most of its work overseas, though the vulture capital firm that bought them out make a lot of money gutting the place while laying everyone off.

Such is the truth of modern life in this nation.
Another fact: Modern security in office towers make it impossible to literally walk in off the street and ask for a job. For example, where I work in NYC, you literally CANNOT get in to see anyone at a company by yourself without an appointment and this is for all the large buildings in Manhattan, not just where I work. The entrances to the elevator banks are literally blocked by turnstile gates and each is guarded, so don't think you are jumping over them and nobody's looking. You have to check in with the security desk, be ID'd, be photographed in some cases, put your bags through an x-ray machine in some cases, have the security officer at the security desk call the person you are scheduled to meet with (you have to have a name and company to give the security officer or you will be turned away if they cannot call someone to verify you have an appointment, especially if your name is not already on the computer system's calendar) and be given a pass to get through the elevator bank turnstile gate or the security officer has to open the gate for you himself. There is NO "walking in off the street" to see a company and apply on your own! I imagine security is strict in many other cities' office buildings too and there is no "walking in off the street" to barge into offices to ask for jobs (or any other reason, like peddling and soliciting), although in smaller cities the security may not be this technical ... it may just be a guard with a sign-in sheet asking questions and telephoning ahead to the company a visitor says s/he is going to.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
And they walked 10 miles, in the snow, uphill, in below zero weather, to get to that job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment