Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A career is your's to create but a company can help you get this. I would imagine that are people like me who want to stay in the same company given that they work with me to expand. If an employer does not, then I agree it is entirely up the employee in that case.
1. Choosing to stay in the same company just to ...stay...could be limiting your career. Can't blame an employer for that. Many times it makes sense to leave (on good terms) and then come back.
2. How can a company help with your career? Most companies already have tuition reimbursement (that people don't use), they have job postings (that most people ignore), etc. Many companies even have free, online training courses an employee could do from the comfort of their desks during lunch (that most people ignore). Not to mention networking opportunities, volunteer opportunities, Toastmaster clubs, etc.

As to relocating, I think more people should be open to it. Instead of making excuses or looking for reasons why they can't relocate, perhaps it would be better to concentrate ones energy on finding ways to make relocating possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

As to relocating, I think more people should be open to it. Instead of making excuses or looking for reasons why they can't relocate, perhaps it would be better to concentrate ones energy on finding ways to make relocating possible.
, as the same knee jerk reaction to put up issues against relocating are often used, by the same posters, for excuse-making regarding why they are faring poorly where they are, why they can do nothing about it, etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
1. Choosing to stay in the same company just to ...stay...could be limiting your career. Can't blame an employer for that. Many times it makes sense to leave (on good terms) and then come back.
2. How can a company help with your career? Most companies already have tuition reimbursement (that people don't use), they have job postings (that most people ignore), etc. Many companies even have free, online training courses an employee could do from the comfort of their desks during lunch (that most people ignore). Not to mention networking opportunities, volunteer opportunities, Toastmaster clubs, etc.
I think you missed what I was saying. If I get a job with an employer I would like to grow with them and only jump as a last resort (toxic environment, management think I "Peter Principled" out, they cut tuition reimbursement and/or other growth opportunities within the company, company is closing my division, company is getting bought out by a competitor, company is going under, ect.) If the employer offers those, why not stay as long as you use them to build up your skills if the meet your need and you can afford it. If not, it isn't relevant that they offer it.

Quote:
Should the idea of moving be on the table, possibly. I am a utilitarian so any decision should be of the best utility to the individual. This where a cost-benefit analysis and research into moving comes into play rather than just saying I will move to Sheboygan, WI just because. Research family or find facebook friends in that area as well the job market (jobs, unemployment rate before hand) and COL, and then compare that to your local area. If the opportunity costs (they will change person to person) are worth the move, why not? If not, shelve it and maybe down the road the opportunity costs to stay will be higher and a move would be beneficial.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I believe there are as many reasons as there are people in the world. For me, though...

1. It is very physically and emotionally draining to move.
2. It is not always easy to manage a sale/rental of one's property long-distance.
3. It takes time and research to find suitable living arrangements, schools, jobs, etc.
4. It is difficult to coordinate everything to be nearer (farther from) family, friends, etc.
5. It is difficult to coordinate finding appropriate medical care, if needed.

I relocated to NC in 2010 and it took 18 months from start-to-finish to have my family and all our belongings back under one roof. I was not sick/injured in Chicago, but hurt my knee in the move so most of the past four years has been surgery after surgery. Now, I'm dealing with complications from an abdominal surgery back in October with approximately 14 hospital stays and ER visits since that time. Let's just say it hasn't been an easy move.

On the other hand, I had a neighbor back in Chicago who is married to her 5th husband. They have no children together and two of her children were adults when I moved here. One was 17 and working at a car rental company. Her husband is in IT and regularly had to leave the state to find work. Several months after we moved, she opted to leave her son and follow her husband to another state. She has moved twice since then as he finds various contract jobs around the country. I think people have to do what they think is best for their own lives but it always struck me as odd that she would leave her 17 year old behind. I know he's almost an "adult" but 18 really isn't that old and he certainly wasn't "on his own" by the time she moved.

In general, people's needs/wants change as we age simply because we have more responsibility. I would not have hesitated to join the Peace Corps if my parents had allowed me to back then. Today, I won't do much of anything without considering the consequences to my two children. Assuming I eventually heal I don't know if I would ever put myself through another cross-country move unless it was absolutely necessary to our survival.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:40 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I'd move in a heartbeat, but the real estate market in my area is deader than a door nail. If I can't sell, I have no funds to move.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I think many people are inflexible and won't try new experiences in life.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
This is a bit of a trump card that younger generations can have over older ones. The era of being linked to one location for everything is long over. It used to be if you didn't pay rent or have a house that you had no phone. Now millions have cell phones. Internet is wireless (wifi, 4g etd). Email replaced regular mail and plenty of products have become smaller with time.

I'm not saying it is cheaper to move but it is simpler. Add in a GPS, sending photos/videos online and it can add up.

Now costs do play into it depending on what they want to do. Now to move without a car certainly can be hard unless the new area has a fair amount of public transit to work.

Eventually you pretty much HAVE to move with some positions. Say if someone is a assistant police chief and wants to move up to chief. If there's an opening a state away it might be stupid not to move. Public and non profit sectors have fair amounts of positions that do the same tasks so there's a constant flow. Openings can happen due to promotions/demotions, retirements, resignations and terminations.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd move in a heartbeat, but the real estate market in my area is deader than a door nail. If I can't sell, I have no funds to move.
I agree. To move there are a number of cords to cut whether it is cable tv, local power, local landline (if you have it,) even your rent/mortgage. You are locked into real estate whether it is owning or renting. Unless you have money and can rent it out, you will likely need to sell it off to get the money to buy a new house. In most rental agreements there aren't out clauses that you can end the lease right there and then and either have to stay or still pay out (unless you can find a replacement.) Moving should be an option but as I've said, you have to weight the opportunity costs of moving and not and maybe put it off for a bit.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:33 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
I would also add that if you think you should not move for a job consider moving for a job to get the experience to get another job. If you are an unemployed oil worker and for some reason don't want to go to texas or north dakota then your sills are going to decline.

In government this can be even more complicated as some jobs have residency requirements. They are controversial to say the least because basically you can end up voting for your own paycheck if not your supervisor! If a private sector employer demanded this it might be considered illegal.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM

251 posts, read 341,396 times
keep in mind it's very hard to rent a flat/house without having a job. Even with good credit many landlord/management companies have income requirements. Catch 22 really: you can't get a job cause you live out of state, you can't move to the state cause you can't get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment