Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Welcome to the world. I work off the clock all too often as well.
You beat me to it. I don't know of any job in the United States or Japan that isn't like this. You should hear Japanese hospital workers, they make their United States counter parts look lazy. I just received two project at work that I know I'll have to spend a minimum of 5 hours day on, this is 5 hours of my own time.

Some people get away with making the company apply to it vacation they'll never spend. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
As a manager I am paid by the body of work, not by the time I work (exempt). When my employees work after hours they get time and a half, and only with my prior approval. If they work on their own time without permission and without the overtime pay it's actually grounds for dismissal. It's actually a bit disturbing if I have to stay late too, and those that are making $30/hour at time and a half will make as much as me.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
During one of my first weeks of working, ever, my job was open on a holiday and I worked it. While I did get paid, I didn't get holiday pay for it (time and a half). I was naive about it because I didn't know the rule... and I didn't realize it until everyone else who worked another holiday later on in the year that you were supposed to get that... Apparently, I was the only one cheated out of it too!

Getting screwed over on money happens all the time at minimum wage jobs, I suppose.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM

303 posts, read 396,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Exactly. This just tells me that 89% of McJob workers don't know their rights.

Getting paid is simple. You clock the hours and you get paid. You clock over 40 hours, you get overtime. It's the law. If your paycheck is short on Friday, you place a call to the State Labor department on Monday. Done deal.
Has anyone here actually done this? Is it really that easy to do, and easy to get a new job once it's over?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I 100% believe the report because it happened to me. I had no idea how long it was going on, probably from the get go when I first got hired, until I started keeping records a few months in. The managers would change the clock-in/clock-out times from their computer to keep within the allowable labor per revenue amount allotted by corporate in order to get their bonuses. That was back when min wage was $5.15/hr too.

It's sad that not only are these people underpaid, but the little money they earn gets stolen from them as well.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Businesses do risk assessment all the time and the rewards from violating labor laws are far outweighed by the potential risks, but that said it most likely will not stop "rogue" managers from manipulating numbers to try and hit unrealistic performance numbers for a bonus.

Bottom line - know your rights and keep track of yourself!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:43 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
If proven that an employer or manager of employer is intentionally robbing you of hours, or intentionally not paying OT, you can sue and be awarded $50,000 PER INSTANCE. If proven intentional, they can also be criminally prosecuted.

You can also sue if your employer asks, or even suggests you take work home, or work off the clock. In fact, even them contacting you on your days off can warrant a lawsuit.

But most people are not aware of this and most of us work under the threat of being fired if we complain or say anything so employers get away with this crap.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 PM

659 posts, read 940,779 times
Someone told me that I was wrong with what I said.
I urge anyone to go to the Department of Labor website and check out the labor laws especially on tipped employees. Then come back and tell me that I'm still wrong.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
You beat me to it. I don't know of any job in the United States or Japan that isn't like this. You should hear Japanese hospital workers, they make their United States counter parts look lazy. I just received two project at work that I know I'll have to spend a minimum of 5 hours day on, this is 5 hours of my own time.

Some people get away with making the company apply to it vacation they'll never spend. lol

The difference in this case is that working the extra hours will bring them below minimum wage, which is illegal, and also they are wage earners, not salaried. Different rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment