Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College education: find a job, internships, independent research, the marines, engineering.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,344,882 times

Advertisements

that is funny

because when I was interviewing with potential employers when the school brought them in for recruiting, I had an absolutely loaded resume, was willing to work ridiculously for regular pay because I enjoyed the work, as I have proven with my work history, did not even ask for benefits, did not want to boss anybody around, or act arrogant, but for some reason none of the big companies hired me

I had to find employment on my own after I graduated through monster

However, the kids who just wanted money to party, acted arrogant, boss people around (when they have no business to because they had no experience), did not have much if any work experience, and got everything in life by sucking up to people, or they were just hot chicks, did get lucrative positions with the companies that came to recruit

It is not fair, and I am a millenial

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 04:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,549,683 times
Common sense.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,549,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well this thread is so old it has Dinosaur footprints on it but good for the previous poster who revived it since we are now in an economic depression and things have changed.

What would we like to see from college grads:

When I hire, I ignore college degrees. If you think you are so smart because you can do that completely useless algebra crap and think you can add letters then do not apply here. I look more at street smarts. How can you handle problems? In the Marines you are taught to "Improvise, adapt and overcome". That is what I want in a college grad as well as a new hire.

The vast majority of students walk out those school doors for the last time with all those good grades yet they can not even explain a can opener. They can tell you what A + B equalls though. Even though it has nothing to do with any trade or profession in our society. Do not apply at my door.

I ask questions. I might even bring them out in the shop. If you cant talk about the things that have to do with the business you claim you learned in school then do not apply here. Speak with confidence. Know what in the hell your talking about. Knowledge is power. And not all knowledge is learned from college.

That reminds me of my next door neighbors daughter. She led a very sheltered life, very little TV, no music, no dating (and she was a gorgeous girl) those types of things. Highly efficient in grades, very educated....but completely at a loss in regards to how the world runs. She found a job in engineering, but had an extremely difficult time, dealing with everyday things that happen at work, whether it was work related or not. They ended up letting her go. She was like a little cowering mouse. I always felt sorry for her.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM

412 posts, read 940,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well this thread is so old it has Dinosaur footprints on it but good for the previous poster who revived it since we are now in an economic depression and things have changed.

What would we like to see from college grads:

When I hire, I ignore college degrees. If you think you are so smart because you can do that completely useless algebra crap and think you can add letters then do not apply here. I look more at street smarts. How can you handle problems? In the Marines you are taught to "Improvise, adapt and overcome". That is what I want in a college grad as well as a new hire.

The vast majority of students walk out those school doors for the last time with all those good grades yet they can not even explain a can opener. They can tell you what A + B equalls though. Even though it has nothing to do with any trade or profession in our society. Do not apply at my door.

I ask questions. I might even bring them out in the shop. If you cant talk about the things that have to do with the business you claim you learned in school then do not apply here. Speak with confidence. Know what in the hell your talking about. Knowledge is power. And not all knowledge is learned from college.
I agree with your general point that not all knowledge is learned from college. But, come on, algebra has nothing to do with any trade or profession in our society? I'm an engineer, and I can assure you that knowing algebra is quite important in my profession.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,651,647 times
Yeah in my business I also don't care about college degrees, but that's true of all filmmaking -- degrees don't matter whatsoever, only experience. Usually I won't hire recent grads at all, however, they are always arrogant -- they think because their short film won such and such award at so and so useless film festival, they are now god's gift to the directing world, even though they are applying to grip on my set. So it's kind of like... why did you apply for a position doing something you obviously don't like much, then send me a reel unrelated to it?! haha.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,703,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I agree with your general point that not all knowledge is learned from college. But, come on, algebra has nothing to do with any trade or profession in our society? I'm an engineer, and I can assure you that knowing algebra is quite important in my profession.
Do you remember back a few months there was a poll asking if we thought algebra was usless? By an overwhelming margin algebra was voted useless. We wondered if algebra teachers were the only ones who voted positive on it.

It's a running joke. Even the engineers over at the plant say it has no use in society. Come on now. Adding letters? Even a 5th grade drop out knows you cant add letters. I can figure out an answer using real math and real numbers many many times faster then some one using those fake formulas.

Teach some real useful things in college and maybe those degrees will have more value. Everyone seems to agree with that including you. So why have the schools added more junk classes and took away gym, shop, music and so on.......

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM

541 posts, read 986,293 times
how to walk and chew gum at the same time

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,713,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Looking around this forum, I tend to see quite a few people complain about "millenials" and problems in the workplace with college grads. So that got me thinking- what all would you like to see out of college grads seeking entry level employment? Also, for those of you involved in HR, what kind of resume do you like to see out of a college grad?

As a college student, I am always inundated with differing advice about how to best prepare myself and my resume for the job market. To do the Peace Corps/ Teach for America/ Americorps or not? To work over summers or take a financial hit for a nonpaying internship? Do an independent research project or intern? Does where you study abroad matter? There's a million other questions with different answers depending on who you ask- even within a college career resource office.

By the way- career area doesn't matter. I'm a politics, international relations, and Latin American studies triple major- which means I'm sort of being prepared for everything and nothing at the same time. While I'm looking into government or NGO work with specific attention to water and land policy (dabbling in extractive industries and agribusiness), I could just as easily fall into business. Any advice would be appreciated by not only me, but any other college student on this site. Thanks!
I'd like to see a recent college grad that "actually wants to work". I'd like to see him/her expect to work their way up rather than expect to be high up already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment