Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College education: find a job, internships, independent research, the marines, engineering.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:00 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times

Advertisements

Looking around this forum, I tend to see quite a few people complain about "millenials" and problems in the workplace with college grads. So that got me thinking- what all would you like to see out of college grads seeking entry level employment? Also, for those of you involved in HR, what kind of resume do you like to see out of a college grad?

As a college student, I am always inundated with differing advice about how to best prepare myself and my resume for the job market. To do the Peace Corps/ Teach for America/ Americorps or not? To work over summers or take a financial hit for a nonpaying internship? Do an independent research project or intern? Does where you study abroad matter? There's a million other questions with different answers depending on who you ask- even within a college career resource office.

By the way- career area doesn't matter. I'm a politics, international relations, and Latin American studies triple major- which means I'm sort of being prepared for everything and nothing at the same time. While I'm looking into government or NGO work with specific attention to water and land policy (dabbling in extractive industries and agribusiness), I could just as easily fall into business. Any advice would be appreciated by not only me, but any other college student on this site. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Looking around this forum, I tend to see quite a few people complain about "millenials" and problems in the workplace with college grads. So that got me thinking- what all would you like to see out of college grads seeking entry level employment? Also, for those of you involved in HR, what kind of resume do you like to see out of a college grad?

As a college student, I am always inundated with differing advice about how to best prepare myself and my resume for the job market. To do the Peace Corps/ Teach for America/ Americorps or not? To work over summers or take a financial hit for a nonpaying internship? Do an independent research project or intern? Does where you study abroad matter? There's a million other questions with different answers depending on who you ask- even within a college career resource office.

By the way- career area doesn't matter. I'm a politics, international relations, and Latin American studies triple major- which means I'm sort of being prepared for everything and nothing at the same time. While I'm looking into government or NGO work with specific attention to water and land policy (dabbling in extractive industries and agribusiness), I could just as easily fall into business. Any advice would be appreciated by not only me, but any other college student on this site. Thanks!
One of the attitudes I've seen (and before everyone gets their feather's ruffled, this does not include all college grads) is that some college grads walk in the door with an attitude that the world is there to revolve around them and should be kissing their feet (or worse). Some feel they just need to show up for work and that's all they need to do. And some feel that an entire package of perks should be handed to them on a silver platter. And to earn this, they don't have to do a thing but present the fact that they just graduated from college.

I have no idea where they get these ludicrious notions, but it's very immature and selfish of them.

Now, on the other hand, there are some grads who do not have these attitudes and are willing to earn their keep...those are the ones the rest of the world is ready to welcome into the fold.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:

The thing I want out of college graduates who take entry level jobs is to remember that term "entry level". Don't come in on the first day and start acting like the CEO or something. And if you are hired in a supervisory position over existing employees- some of whom have been there for a long time- remember that they can be a real asset to you if you handle them right. Don't be too shy or arrogant when you first start. Start out with somethng like "we are all going to lunch today so I can get to know all of you and you can get to know me" and then call in each employee one at a time and just talk to them. Find out what they think and what their needs are and where they would like to see the organization go.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Someone who has a work ethic and not just work to have money to party.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Somebody that will work ridiculous hours for little pay... is what many companies are looking for.

But mostly they are looking for no attitudes and someone who is not afraid to take direction or criticisms.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Motivation, self reliance, and this falls into the catch-22 bucket - experience.

The brightest "grads" I've had the pleasure to work with typically had some internships or part-time jobs in the industry they're trying to enter. To me, this shows initiative, and that they are willing to put in the work to reap the rewards.

Oh - and humility. I don't know what it is.. but many people today seem to want to know what the rewards are before they lay a finger down. How 'bout proving yourself first?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
All I am really looking for is a good worker. Someone who shows up and gets down to it. Beyond that, it's all gravy. Attitude goes a long way - enthusiasm especially.

The key to success is to be a self-starter... you need to be self-motivated, and you need to care enough about your career to train and learn on your own time in addition to company time.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:10 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Quote:

Younger workers including recent college grads need to do what all the generations before them did at their first jobs if they want to stay in the game at work and build a good work reputation, despite any particular job circumstance. Be humble, be enthusiatic, use your time wisely and be willing to go beyond the job description if the oppurtunity affords it. Yeah there will always be bad places to work where the boss and management are complete idiots, but no matter how good or bad the first job is, learning is always an asset. Also, don't try to compete with the long time coworkers, even if they seem to be complacent. Even bad employees can become entrenched after many years, and if it comes down to it, the younger or newer employee may be the one to have to leave. Never underestimate that. I know of a younger employee who almost got fired for mouthing off to the older established coworkers. Most every older employee respects and appreciates younger workers who work with them and not against them. Just my thoughts. Good luck in all your endeavors.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Be on time.
Don't take payday Fridays off.
The local NFL team playing a late game is not a reason to take Monday off.
Don't burn up your accrued leave then ask to "borrow" some.
If you are sick, call in to the proper person, don't make it a surprise.
Realize that the job doesn't revolve around your: college homecoming, your fraternity/sorority reunions, any drama you may be having in your personal life.
You will not get a promotion or consideration because you are new, you're also inexperienced.

This is from an educator's viewpoint but I think it spreads across all fields.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Well this thread is so old it has Dinosaur footprints on it but good for the previous poster who revived it since we are now in an economic depression and things have changed.

What would we like to see from college grads:

When I hire, I ignore college degrees. If you think you are so smart because you can do that completely useless algebra crap and think you can add letters then do not apply here. I look more at street smarts. How can you handle problems? In the Marines you are taught to "Improvise, adapt and overcome". That is what I want in a college grad as well as a new hire.

The vast majority of students walk out those school doors for the last time with all those good grades yet they can not even explain a can opener. They can tell you what A + B equalls though. Even though it has nothing to do with any trade or profession in our society. Do not apply at my door.

I ask questions. I might even bring them out in the shop. If you cant talk about the things that have to do with the business you claim you learned in school then do not apply here. Speak with confidence. Know what in the hell your talking about. Knowledge is power. And not all knowledge is learned from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment