Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
The "background check authorization form" is listing out all the possible checks (criminal, driving, employment, education, ...). The HR told me, verbally, that they are not checking all of those. Looks like they have the form very general for all possible positions in the company.

In that case, I wonder what will happen if I add a sentence next to my signature with something like:
"The scope of the background check shall be limited to criminal, driving, ssn verification"
You will draw negative attention to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
C'mon guys!

am I in the minority of people who believe that people should have some privacy? Where is the limit?

I totally understand that employer doesn't want to hire criminals - thus for that reason there are criminal history checks which I am totally okay with. The next and last thing is SSN check to see if you're eligible for working in the States and if the SSN is valid. Anything beyond that should be your privacy....

Ain't no employer's business your Facebook account, credit score, not even driving history if you are not going to drive company's cars. And I don't even like idea of digging in my employment history because I did separate with some employers on not very good terms and I don't like them to be in touch and I don't want my former employer to know I am getting this job.
Employment history is extremely relevant! You mentioned you parted on bad terms with some employers, so I'm guessing you may be anxious that this employer may not like the info the background check returns.

Quote:
The "background check authorization form" is listing out all the possible checks (criminal, driving, employment, education, ...). The HR told me, verbally, that they are not checking all of those. Looks like they have the form very general for all possible positions in the company.

In that case, I wonder what will happen if I add a sentence next to my signature with something like:
"The scope of the background check shall be limited to criminal, driving, ssn verification"
You'd probably recieve a rejection form letter. They probably have a few other candidates who aren't giving the impression they have something to hide.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 AM

105 posts, read 172,642 times
I am sad that so many people are oblivious to the situation themselves.

Maybe I am the only one who comes from another planet, but I am so willing to turn down the job offer if they want to do the full background check.

I will update you on Monday guys.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Exclamation Let them know, in writing, the reason why you will not comply

Always ask for a copy of the background check results and the credit report.

I've averaged 2 background checks a year, nearly all of them had errors where they mixed in records from somebody else with the same first and last name. Luckily I have an uncommon name, and the others with my name are boring (and law-abiding).

Quote:
If you reject a job because you feel their requested background check access is too intrusive, please do let them know, in writing, the reason why. Company HR departments use these generic forms asking for overly broad information for everybody even though they may not intend to actually do the full check, maybe if they get more feedback they'll consider refining the process.

Eventually the EEOC will get their way, and non-work-duty-relevant background checks will be restricted due to "disparate impact" on minorities, restricting what HR can use to dig up dirt on prospects.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
I am sad that so many people are oblivious to the situation themselves.

Maybe I am the only one who comes from another planet, but I am so willing to turn down the job offer if they want to do the full background check.

I will update you on Monday guys.
I only wish that we were not "so willing" to keep paying you unemployment. . .

Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Its interesting how they can know everything about you but you can't know jack about them.
If the company is public, you can check a variety of public disclosures including SEC filings.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Not know jack? Public companies as charlygal said do have SEC filings. Even private companies when contracting generally have to make some of those agreements public if it is with the government.

Even basic skiptracing can tell quite a bit. Call a tax assessor and verify property ownership. From there you can get the name/address/contact information. From that information you can have a field day finding out who owns or did what.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Unexpected medical expenses can cause someone to be in debt not just maxed out credit cards.
Very true, and I'd want to know about that as well. I'd want to know how this debt was being managed, and how this medical situation might impact the future of my business.

Quote:
And I don't even like idea of digging in my employment history because I did separate with some employers on not very good terms and I don't like them to be in touch and I don't want my former employer to know I am getting this job.
Criminals are against criminal history check for the very same reason.
Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey.

Quote:
You'll make HR's job much easier and end up in the round file.

Quote:
Damn, whose business is where you lived years ago??
Did you burn down or trash your former apartments?
Were you evicted for wild noisy drug parties?
Are you from a ghetto, trailer park, mental institution, or New Jersey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post

I would also look at it like this- if you are this difficult to work with now for a simple background check how will you deal with bigger things?
Excellent point, it's part of the test.

Quote:
We need to know which planet, why you had to leave it, did it explode, do you have a problem working around Kryptonite, etc.

Since the government has made it so hard to get rid of employees, it has become necessary to be more careful than ever when offering or accepting what could be a lifelong commitment.
It's easier to get a divorce than to fire a protected person due to a bad hiring decision.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I'd certainly check driving history, I don't want some drunk crashing his car into the break room.

I'd check employment history, to determine whether the applicant is at all employable.

I'd check credit history, to determine whether the applicant is trustworthy, with a history of meeting his obligations. He could be in so much debt that he might be tempted to steal. And if he can't handle his own finances in a responsible manner, I wouldn't trust him with any part of my business.

Regarding general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, and personal interviews with neighbors and friends, wouldn't that be prudent for a prospective spouse?
Well, a prospective employee is also someone you might have to spend a great portion of your life with, one third of your life for five out of every seven days. Maybe longer than the average marraige.
I'd even ask such pertinent questions before adopting a dog.

So, if you've got something to hide, just get used to it, and don't live in fear.

I agree to all but the credit history. I really don't believe credit history should be checked UNLESS you are specifically going to be working in an industry where you are around money all the time. For a bank, credit union, any financial institution, cashiers, accounting jobs, yes definitely.

Not all the time does a credit check determine whether or not a person will steal. My credit is terrible and I never stole anything a day in my life because it is just not worth it. I was raised well, and I gain much satisfaction and achievement from working and buying the things I need and want rather than take from someone else. Point is, different people have bad credit for different reasons. Mine is due to past illness, and basically that is all you would find on my credit report....hospital bills, but there are a lot of them, and I pay them as I am able to.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,339 times
Originally Posted by Hannah7

Point of the fact is Hannah7, if you want a job, count on having to complete a background check. Failure to do so must mean you have something to hide, in which case I suggest you start a side business of some sort so you don't have to worry about an employer doing a background check on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search