Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 AM

576 posts, read 994,091 times

Advertisements

Trying to advise daughter who wishes to do something/anything, in the Medical Field. Wants to go to school to do something in that area. But she is not strong in math and science. In fact, pretty weak.

Anything that anyone can think of. I had advised Medical Billing and Coding, but am concerned that will be off-shored before long if it isn't already.

Anybody know of a medical field she could train in, that wouldn't require she be an ace at things like Chemistry/Biology/Physics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
No, if she's that interested how about getting her help like a tutor.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Have her take the Johnson O'Connor aptitude test to identify her strengths. Aptitude Testing at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation

They will provide a list of occupations, which may include medical that she would be good at.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
One thing thats interesting to me is the level of math required in College, verses what you actually use in your occupation. Im an Accountant and had to take up to Business Calc in my degree. I can honestly tell you that I use nothing but basic BASIC algebra at the most in my job. I have several friends that are nurses and medical assistants, they use some conversion formulas and basic math in their jobs, not Algebra 2 or Calculus.

I honestly think that its the Universities attempt to pump up the perceived skillset of the graduates, rather than an actual representation of the level of math they will use in the field.

That being said, tell her to get over it. Most people I know that "arent good at math" are simply using that as an excuse to not try.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
But she is not strong in math and science. In fact, pretty weak.

Anybody know of a medical field she could train in, that wouldn't require she be an ace at things like Chemistry/Biology/Physics, etc.
I was going to come in and tell you that it shouldn't be a problem until you also mentioned science. I don't know how far up the medical ladder you are talking about when you refer to the medical field. I know you mentioned that medical coding or billing is not something you want her to consider. But I can tell you that if your referring to anything MD related and she is truly not strong at science she can forget about it. My sister is finishing up the academic curriculum part of her 4 years of med school and science is the majority of her material.

She may have a good shot at being an RN or LPN. In those fields she may be able to get by with weak math and moderately good skills in science. I did some light research into those fields when my sister asked me to look up careers in the medical field. However, I honestly don't have in depth knowledge regarding those fields because I never researched them.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,437 times
I don't know the training requirements, but can she look into something like Ultrasound tech, Radiology tech, etc? Or physical therapy? I would think the hard math/science needs are lower than nursing or some other medical careers, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
I'm an Occupational Therapist, and the only math I had to take was basic Statistics. Only science just Anatomy and Physiology and Kinesiology. I too am bad at math and science but did fine (with a tutor for Statistics only because I took an accelerated summer course). Writing skills were much more important. PT is similar but requires Physics.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
It is harder to be admitted to PT programs than medical school, and both are graduate school level. Based on what the OP said her daughter would never be admitted.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It is harder to be admitted to PT programs than medical school, and both are graduate school level. Based on what the OP said her daughter would never be admitted.
You never know, I quit high school and got a GED, then did really well in community college and not only got into a very prestigious program/school, I got a $3000 per year academic scholarship. Did OP say what daughter's grades are like right now? Not being good at math or science doesn't mean bad GPA overall.

She could also do a PT or OT assistant program in 2 years and still get out and make $30-$35 an hour.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-14-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM

624 posts, read 762,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Trying to advise daughter who wishes to do something/anything, in the Medical Field. Wants to go to school to do something in that area. But she is not strong in math and science. In fact, pretty weak.

Anything that anyone can think of. I had advised Medical Billing and Coding, but am concerned that will be off-shored before long if it isn't already.

My math skills are REALLY bad. I found this book to be very helpful.

Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies Mark Zegarelli

Mr Zegarelli breaks math concepts down to an understandable level. This book is highly rated on Amazon. There is also a companion workbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment