Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,748,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I was going to come in and tell you that it shouldn't be a problem until you also mentioned science. I don't know how far up the medical ladder you are talking about when you refer to the medical field. I know you mentioned that medical coding or billing is not something you want her to consider. But I can tell you that if your referring to anything MD related and she is truly not strong at science she can forget about it. My sister is finishing up the academic curriculum part of her 4 years of med school and science is the majority of her material.

She may have a good shot at being an RN or LPN. In those fields she may be able to get by with weak math and moderately good skills in science. I did some light research into those fields when my sister asked me to look up careers in the medical field. However, I honestly don't have in depth knowledge regarding those fields because I never researched them.
I have a bunch of nurses (RN and LPN) in the family. She'd still need a lot of science. I remember one of my RN cousins had to take organic chemistry, for example. And she'd still need Anatomy & Physiology & probably Biology even if she did an LPN program through the local trade school or community college.

How about something like being a social worker who works through a hospital, nursing home, or rehab facility? A friend of mine from high school does this. She started off working at a nursing home, but now works in a local hospital and helps patients and their families connect with the available support and community resources that can help them when they're dismissed from the hospital (i.e., visiting nurses, meals on wheels, physical therapy, community agencies that can provide transportation assistance, applying to pharmaceutical companies for reduced prices on insulin, stuff like that). She seems to find it really fulfilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,389 times
If your daughter isn't motivated enough to get a tutor or write her own thread asking this question, then I would suggest avoiding the medical field altogether. She will need to learn to think on her own and if she was truly motivated and passionate about medicine, she would attend a tutoring session.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have several people in my family who are in the medical field. They are nurses, respiratory therapists, and medical assistants. All had to take two anatomy classes. Nurses at my local community college are required to take anatomy, microbiology, and chemistry and do quite well as the nursing program is competitive. Ultrasound techs and radiation therapists have to take college algebra, physics, chemistry, and anatomy and my local community college.

She might look into social work as a career as there is no science or math needed.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,994 times
How long is she willing to go to school and what about the medical field interests her?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,381,715 times
Math will not be that bad of an issue. If she wants to go into the medical field it will be relatively strong in science. Often chemistry, anatomy, physiology, nutrition, microbiology, etc. They are pretty interesting and not too bad.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

25,608 posts, read 17,341,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Trying to advise daughter who wishes to do something/anything, in the Medical Field. Wants to go to school to do something in that area. But she is not strong in math and science. In fact, pretty weak.

Anything that anyone can think of. I had advised Medical Billing and Coding, but am concerned that will be off-shored before long if it isn't already.

Anybody know of a medical field she could train in, that wouldn't require she be an ace at things like Chemistry/Biology/Physics, etc.
Emergency Medical Technician.
If you don't want to pay for it and you want her to get a good start, consider becoming a Navy Hospital Corpsman. She will still need to go to school after the navy, but she will know where she's headed.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:10 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Most really don't.

Nursing doesn't. BSN requires basic high school math, Alebra I and II, geometry, and a class in statistics. If you're just talking about a CNA, that requires elementary math (arthimetic). It's a 16-week course, costs less than $1,000 at a community college here in California. Life science courses are very, very light in math. I went through the basic freshman chemistry courses for hard science majors, which is more rigorous than what is required for a BSN. They don't require calculus, so they just tell you the numbers to plug in in the question so there isn't anything beyond simple addition or subtraction.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,637 times
Nursing or the therapy fields. Physical therapy school actually isn't more difficult to get into than medical school. The prerequisites aren't as difficult and the MCAT's aren't needed, just the GREs. You would just need a high undergraduate GPA.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,708,035 times
As far as I know, there is not a lot of math in the psychology field. In fact, it is mostly superstition. Electroshock to terrify patients has fallen out of favor so circuits and wattage computations should no longer be needed.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM

303 posts, read 396,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Trying to advise daughter who wishes to do something/anything, in the Medical Field. Wants to go to school to do something in that area. But she is not strong in math and science. In fact, pretty weak.

Anything that anyone can think of. I had advised Medical Billing and Coding, but am concerned that will be off-shored before long if it isn't already.

Anybody know of a medical field she could train in, that wouldn't require she be an ace at things like Chemistry/Biology/Physics, etc.
If she's got her heart set on the medical field, why not just get her a math/science tutor? She could be a dietary aide or CNA, but when she says "anything", does she mean it, or "anything glamorous/careerist."

Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,281,127 times
I'd encourage Radiologic Technician, EKG Technician, or Ultrasound Technician. Less math needed in school but still in the medical field. Demand is high and pay is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment