Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM

69 posts, read 186,208 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating with an MS in Marketing come August and am starting my job search but all I keep finding are low income jobs (jobs that pay $30,000 and below) in the Marketing field...is this normal?
I'm coming from retail where I made $45,000 a year as a trainee starting out with just a bachelor's degree so it's a bit of a shock that those jobs start so low. I personally would like to get started in a market research company or banking/insurance/medical but those jobs usually require an MBA and 5+ years of experience in that field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letscu99 View Post
I'll be graduating with an MS in Marketing come August and am starting my job search but all I keep finding are low income jobs (jobs that pay $30,000 and below) in the Marketing field...is this normal?
I'm coming from retail where I made $45,000 a year as a trainee starting out with just a bachelor's degree so it's a bit of a shock that those jobs start so low. I personally would like to get started in a market research company or banking/insurance/medical but those jobs usually require an MBA and 5+ years of experience in that field.
Marketing Analyst?

Marketing Analyst Salary | Glassdoor

That is what you are trying to do, correct?

Regular starting salaries are more around 37K I'd say. You should always be aware of what a job field pays before you enter. Always take the median as to what you will be earning.

If you were making 45K as an entry level retail trainee, you were getting overpaid doing that.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 PM

That's a low salary. When I decided to get my degree I was leaning towards going back into retail...unfortunately due to a back injury, that's not possible (there was no upward advancement at the company I was with).

Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Did you research jobs before you got your MS? Did you target specific job titles that paid the salary you wanted? Or did you get the degree and wish for the best?

Marketing jobs are known to have low salaries across most of the industry.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM

I actually did look at jobs...I didn't have a particular job in mind but instead looked at several different jobs that I felt capable of performing, I looked at salary and everything. My August graduation is part of the problem because most companies hire recent grads in May/June. My plan was to get into a corporate graduate program (there are several that I could choose from) or to go back into retail. Most corporate graduate programs start in May/June-a deadline that I'll freely state I didn't realize when I was exploring the websites and looking over the programs-most do not have dates attached to them. Like my previous post says, retail management is no longer an option for me like I thought it would be so that screwed up my plans a bit, that and having to move in the middle of my program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment