Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:23 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are all stealing from your employers. That is just my view. Your employer PAYS you for your TIME and you should give the employer their money's worth. If you have to log on to do a QUICK task like check email or banking, that is one thing but blogging on the clock is not honest. Save it for lunch or after work.
I agree completely with this. At my workplace, we're all so swamped that we don't even have time to THINK about personal Internet use. Besides, when I first started at my company almost two years ago, we were told in our initial training class/orientation that the corporate IT department has the ability to see what each of us is doing online, where we go online, how much time we spend, etc. So with that in mind, I don't even attempt to go online for personal reasons. I have a home computer for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
If I'm a salaried employee who regularly puts in 12 hour days - who's stealing from who?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times
Default Most Internet message board use is during the traditional working day

I think message boards and online chats have replaced the break-room and water-cooler as the place to go to socialize during slow periods at work. Most of the messages are Monday to Friday 8-5.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I go on line everyday, but never to blog. I reserve this for nightime with a sip of wine. During my downtime at work, I read the newspapers only and try not to shop online, while at work. It seem more reasonable to read news to me and probably a little more acceptable.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM

143 posts, read 651,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Grab a broom and start sweeping! Call customers on the phone and ask them if all is well with your service or product. Pick up trash around the building ot office. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done.
You're not serious about the sweeping and trash right? I think my boss would have a fit. Nobody pays me to clean. This is as big of a waste as surfing the internet. I guess it depends on your office environment, but in a large company like mine, I don't think any of us know where the cleaning supplies are.

I think it might be generational thing. Older people tend to equate productivity with time worked, younger people tend to equate it with tasks accomplished; atleast in a professional type job.

The task accomplished crows doesn't see a problem with surfing the internet if they are completing the tasks expected.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM

22 posts, read 120,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
I guess it depends on your office environment, but in a large company like mine, I don't think any of us know where the cleaning supplies are.
It is so true

The IT company that I am working for has blocked lots of websites like youtube, gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, forum-related websites (including city-data), meebo, facebook, friendster, myspace, online games... etc, etc...

BTW : I am so happy they didn't block my favourite http://www.orisinal.com

Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
You're not serious about the sweeping and trash right? I think my boss would have a fit. Nobody pays me to clean. This is as big of a waste as surfing the internet. I guess it depends on your office environment, but in a large company like mine, I don't think any of us know where the cleaning supplies are.

I think it might be generational thing. Older people tend to equate productivity with time worked, younger people tend to equate it with tasks accomplished; atleast in a professional type job.

The task accomplished crows doesn't see a problem with surfing the internet if they are completing the tasks expected.
Serious about sweeping and trash? Yes.... where I work, if that needs to be done, you do........ I work in places where everyone wears several hats and you share the responsibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment