Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Here's the problem.

How does one get the required experience?
A friend took one semester of SQL, last year. He had been working for 2 years in an administrative clerical role. He applied for the entry level analyst position and passed the technical interview. They hired him and the rest is history.

Three years ago, I bought a $50 SQL book from Amazon. I passed the certification test, after 3-4 months of studying. While I was studying, I played around with SQL pass-through-queries in MSAccess at work. Two or three months after the certification, I landed an entry level analyst role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
That's another thing to consider. Location. The shortages are based on employment centers by major cities. In Dallas, you will often find American developers that moved here from other states to work. The shortages are severe, so employers are relocating American citizens from all over the nation. It's not just the foreign nationals.

I have a cousin with a technology degree, but he is in a dead end job in a small town. He won't even consider moving to Dallas, even though the pay here is fantastic. He won't leave his hometown. It's all that he has ever known. You have qualified people in rural towns far away from major employment centers.

Here I am making nearly $90k with a HS diploma and a crappy GPA. He is a college graduate with a STEM degree and toils away as a waiter in the country.
I know plenty of people like this. I was hired at a call center four years ago and a girl who just turned 18 hired in a few months after me. She's now 22 and got her 26 year old boyfriend on there. They live in rural VA and don't have enough to money to hardly do anything. I was telling her she needs to get to a better area ASAP but she just won't listen. I prefer to not even associate with people like this - they just drag those of us who are trying to do better down.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM

150 posts, read 305,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

Three years ago, I bought a $50 SQL book from Amazon. I passed the certification test, after 3-4 months of studying. While I was studying, I played around with SQL pass-through-queries in MSAccess at work. Two or three months after the certification, I landed an entry level analyst role.

MS SQL or Mysql?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM

156 posts, read 318,148 times
For the relocation thing, I'd love to relocate but there's a few things to consider:

1. This isn't 1994, where if you had at STEM degree, you could basically walk into any job you wanted to have
2. Moving is expensive
3. Many companies don't consider out of area applicants because they think that the person is A. going to get homesick and leave at the earliest opportunity or B. ask for relocation assistance that the company is naturally not willing to provide
4. Many apartments now days will not rent to you unless you have a pay stub or some other evidence that you can pay your rent
5. Even if you have thousands of dollars saved up, it can be months, if not longer, before you find a job in your new city and that can burn through your savings extremely fast.

Again "just relocate!" is presenting a simple answer to a not so simple problem.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
For the relocation thing, I'd love to relocate but there's a few things to consider:

1. This isn't 1994, where if you had at STEM degree, you could basically walk into any job you wanted to have
2. Moving is expensive
3. Many companies don't consider out of area applicants because they think that the person is A. going to get homesick and leave at the earliest opportunity or B. ask for relocation assistance that the company is naturally not willing to provide
4. Many apartments now days will not rent to you unless you have a pay stub or some other evidence that you can pay your rent
5. Even if you have thousands of dollars saved up, it can be months, if not longer, before you find a job in your new city and that can burn through your savings extremely fast.

Again "just relocate!" is presenting a simple answer to a not so simple problem.
It's not an easy or convenient choice but sometimes it is the only choice. After having three jobs in my hometown in less than a year, none providing benefits and each paying less than the last, I knew I had to leave. Not leaving meant I was going to be sunk financially.

Yes, moving is expensive...if you have a large family, no help, or a lot of possessions. I rented a Budget truck for $200 from TN to IN. Dad and a few neighbors loaded it on one end. Some donated furniture. Dad and I unloaded it on the other. I still need more furniture, but I have the basics.

Agreed that many companies don't consider out of area applicants, but you still need to try.

Once you get an offer, you show the LL your offer letter.

That's why you don't relocate without work lined up.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
So much for getting a useful degree....

Study Finds No Shortage of High-Tech Workers in U.S.
This has been discussed before. STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Math.

Now let's look at the # of degree holders vs. available jobs in the tech degrees and the engineering degrees.

Not saying it won't still be the same, but STEM includes a lot of degrees that many would readily admit are in abundance including degrees like psychology, sociology, biology, chemistry, etc.

I'd like to see those #s before I agree with the study.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 AM

156 posts, read 318,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
That's why you don't relocate without work lined up.
Preaching to the choir bro, but like I said, when you submit god knows how many resumes to out of area companies and 99.9% of the time never get a reply back, that's easier said than done.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
This has been discussed before. STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Math.

Now let's look at the # of degree holders vs. available jobs in the tech degrees and the engineering degrees.

Not saying it won't still be the same, but STEM includes a lot of degrees that many would readily admit are in abundance including degrees like psychology, sociology, biology, chemistry, etc.

I'd like to see those #s before I agree with the study.

True, but again, when I was in school, several of the "hard" science majors at least took rigorous math courses and a programming course. I would argue that some of their backgrounds and problem solving skills are applicable to other fields.

The example I use is my parents. Back in the day there was no such thing as a computer science degree. Yet there was a demand for computer programmers - and companies were willing to snatch up math/physics/chem majors and training them.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
True, but again, when I was in school, several of the "hard" science majors at least took rigorous math courses and a programming course. I would argue that some of their backgrounds and problem solving skills are applicable to other fields.

The example I use is my parents. Back in the day there was no such thing as a computer science degree. Yet there was a demand for computer programmers - and companies were willing to snatch up math/physics/chem majors and training them.
Yep. Nowadays, they won't even consider you unless you have 3 to 5 years doing whatever the exact job description says. Such is the effect of a lack of jobs, sadly.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
I would argue that some of their backgrounds and problem solving skills are applicable to other fields.
You are right they could have skills that are applicable, but that doesn't mean that they do. I think today is very different than our parents generation. There is an abundance of people coming out with basic programming skills (I think the main skill gap is the experienced groups). I think the skill gap issue is always at the more advanced levels. People who had the skills may move on to another career (many programmers and technicians move into management roles), etc. Then there are people that have the skills that aren't willing to move for a job, etc. I've noticed the advanced positions are always the hardest to fill because the people with that skill set get to choose where they want to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep. Nowadays, they won't even consider you unless you have 3 to 5 years doing whatever the exact job description says. Such is the effect of a lack of jobs, sadly.
They are obviously finding people like that though. I was talking to a company about a position and they wanted experience developing exactly what I develop, but in a different context. They decided not to pursue me as a candidate despite the fact that I explained to them that the process is exactly the same. Oh well, but I'm guessing the hiring manager wouldn't have turned me down if he had no other options at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment