Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 PM

23 posts, read 31,162 times

Advertisements

Out of suggestion from another user that I should pose this question here, I am doing so:

I accepted a job cross country that offered me a relocation reimbursement. I have submitted a portion of my receipts since I am only half way done relocating.

I was told today that I would get the check, however it would be taxed.... HUH?

I have already paid taxes on the money that was used to make the move. How is this right?

There have been numerous employer reimbursements in the past for relocation and never once was I told that I have had to pay taxes on the money because it was "income"

- Money earned as an employee previous employer and taxes taken out, then put into savings account
- Gas/moving truck expenses paid for with said money
- documentation submitted to new employer of gas/moving truck (assumption of documentation would be a business expense for the company come time when their taxes are done, hence employer asking for receipts and not tax deductible on my income taxes)
- check cut for reimbursement
- taxes taken out and labeled as "income" on reimbursement

= double taxation on income, does it not?

This just does not seem to be adding up correctly to me. Like I said, I have done this numerous times before and not once have I ever had to pay an income tax on a relocation reimbursement... EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Taxes will be withheld, and all your expenses are tax deductible.

Some companies do it this way, many "gross up" the reimbursement, then tax it.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Taxes will be withheld, and all your expenses are tax deductible.

Some companies do it this way, many "gross up" the reimbursement, then tax it.
How am I suppose to deduct the expenses if they have taken the receipts for their record and assuming for their taxes?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Also, they are not giving me a lump sum to spend however I choose, which I could understand the taxation then. They are reimbursing me to the penny for what I have spent.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighDreamin View Post
Also, they are not giving me a lump sum to spend however I choose, which I could understand the taxation then. They are reimbursing me to the penny for what I have spent.
Crap. Sorry. Just read your first post again. Something has gone totally wrong here - they cannot tax a reimbursement like that.

Reimbursements aren't income.

If they do withhold taxes, you need to file a 2106 to claim these.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 AM

OK... Just sucks if they take taxes out now. Kind of hard to take a hit on thousands of $$$ in income taxes right now.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:36 AM

I wouldn't just let it go that route. My first call this AM would be to whomever hired me, explaining the difference between an "accountable" and "non-accountable" reimbursement plan - and the fact that they're doing this wrong.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighDreamin View Post
How am I suppose to deduct the expenses if they have taken the receipts for their record and assuming for their taxes?
You didn't copy the receipts?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Did they mistakenly issue you a payroll check instead of a reimbursement check? Like RW12 said, I'd be on the phone today.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You didn't copy the receipts?
I have never really needed to. I can get copies though, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment