Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM

247 posts, read 1,116,511 times

Advertisements

I worked in a wire drawing factory for 16 years in the 80's and 90's. I ran machines that drew (stretched) wire through dies until the desired diameter wire was rolled onto spools. The dies in the machines were lubricated by black, filthy oil. It was hot and loud. We wore earplugs but your ears always seemed to be ringing. There were annealing ovens nearby that cooked the wire to temper it at as much as 900 degrees F. In the summer we were constantly drenched with sweat and in the winter they closed up all the doors to the outside and we were forced to breathe noxious fumes all day. I lost the tip of one finger and almost lost another while threading the wire through the dies on one of the machines. The supervisors were always riding our a**es trying to get more production. They didn't respect the workers at all, they talked to us any way they wanted knowing that the job market was tight enough that it would be hard for anyone to leave. The job was non-union and while the benefits were good the pay left something to be desired, never enough to get ahead, too much too get someone to hire you for a starting position on another job. I was making $12 per hour when I finally left there and started my own business in 1996. Thinking back on it now I'd have to say that was the worst job I've ever had. I've had others that paid less and with fewer benefits but that one was still the worst by far. I had almost rather be homeless than to do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,819,840 times
I worked for twenty years in a tire manufacturing plant in quality assurance and tire machine setup. I have never worked a production job and never would. The tire builders would be on their feet for the entire 12 hour shift walking back and forth (10 feet) building tires. I tried it for a couple of days when training for machine setup and I could never do it long term. It is mind numbing and boring. It paid well for what it was however it isn't something I would do as a job.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,932,603 times
Someone who is highly intelligent, ambitious, and talented of course would not satisfied with a menial factory job. But for those who aren't, they can be good jobs.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,900 times
In my life Ive worked a variety of factory situations. Some were great, some were bad, some were very, very bad
My first "real" job as a kid in the early 80's was in a printing factory. It was probably the best job IVe ever had. Not so much money-wise, but it established what I was going to do for a while and it was a lot of fun. It was very technical and interesting, not things usually associated with a factory. I work in factory now, not on the floor though, in the art dept., and its a great job.
When my Wife and I were moving around the country a lot, I took a lot of employment agency McJobs. A lot of those were factory jobs and they were HORRIFIC!!! I couldnt do it on a dauly basis. One was in a cracker factory, and it was too bizarre to write about anymore here . . . Another was making antique tile reproductions, and that was almost as bad, another was making expensive wrought iron light fixtures and that was really neat. It was interesting and you stopped working a few times a day to do Yoga. Vermont. Go figure
So I guess like anything else, there is good and bad. I couldnt do the bad for any length of time. Bless those who can

Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,435,372 times
I work for a manufacturer and have to say it depends on your role/upward mobility/ and who's running the show. A lot of our techs start off in "boring" roles as the OP described, but they have the ability to work their way up to a parts shop tech who builds custom parts. Also they can work their way up into management. Theres no ceiling unless they want to be upper management, then they need a degree. Our controller started off as a welder, then took night classes at Uni.

Also we pay our boring job techs pretty well.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,995 times
Most of the people on this planet, even in this country, do not have the luxury of being able to do only significant, high-status, "meaningful" work that strokes their ego. Not everyone can be a movie star astronaut brain surgeon.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,119,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Most of the people on this planet, even in this country, do not have the luxury of being able to do only significant, high-status, "meaningful" work that strokes their ego. Not everyone can be a movie star astronaut brain surgeon.
Well said.

Jeez. Is it just me, or is there a condescending attitude sweeping by this forum lately?

In any case, it could always be you.

I have degrees up the ying yang and Project Management experience and I could always be working at Home Depot on the floor or in some factory, or drive through Burger King.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,159,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Jeez. Is it just me, or is there a condescending attitude sweeping by this forum lately?
Well, it is a 7-yo thread someone dug up.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 17,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenial View Post
Some people fit this type of job because
1. They are getting paid decently and the benefits are good
2. They like to just do their job and not take it home with them
3. Sometimes the pay is good compared to the education level needed
4. They don't work well with others
5. Some people don't want to think about their job, just do it

Most of these types of jobs rotate their positions fequently in order to prevent complacency.

And some people don't realize how much life gets increasingly expensive as you get older. Personally, I thought 35k at a factory laboratory wasn't too bad, especially with the opportunity to change departments (which I later realized were lateral moves). Well I've been there going on 6 years, I make 40k, have a frivolous Biology degree, and now a mortgage. I don't think 40k is too bad considering my job isn't too demanding, but there are no better prospects with my experience without significant educational ($$$) and/or changing jobs. So now I'm stuck at a job that makes me cry about how I've wasted my youth faced with the intense competition from everyone else doing it slightly better than I.

All I can say is that my parents were there to support me, I had an intelligent upbringing, I have no debt, and a good sense of fiscal management in comparison to my peers. I can't imagine the challenges that face those from poor uneducated families. Perhaps they think that there's simply too much competition out there so why bother trying.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM

400 posts, read 1,510,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Some of my customers work for various factories around the region and have told me the horrors of the daily grind.

One has a job at Exide Battery, said her job is standing in the same place all day putting terminals in a little plastic bag then into a box. She is locked inside and can't scratch her nose, eat, rub her eye nothing without first showering, she is constantly monitored for lead levels and when the levels get beyond a certain point she can't come back to work till they drop.

One that worked for Eastman Chemical had the job of climbing the smoke stacks and monitoring the pollution levels, developed cancer was out of work, lived too long and after a year his insurance benifits were dropped and he died an agonizing death at home without pain meds. He was 44

One worked for Superior Wheels, he stood in one place picked up cast GM wheels off an assembly line belt and hung them on an over head hook 12 hours a day and was not allowed to leave his spot till the next shift person walked up and took over, some times they were late.

I just wonder how a person people work these kinds of jobs day in and day out and have any sort of life.
ridiculous. if you dont want to work in a factory then dont but dont question or judge other peoples jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment