Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:27 AM

55 posts, read 69,902 times

Advertisements

I’m a recent hire in what was previously known as “tempt to perm” and these days is called “contract to hire”. This is just better sounding terminology like “used car” versus “pre-owned.” This position is substantially below my qualification and compensation level but the commute is exceptionally attractive and after being hired on later there are additional benefits and opportunities to transfer around within the company. This is a job and income income versus nothing. I passed up another opportunity with an even better commute, better job title, slightly better pay but less long term job stability and lousy hours. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision.

I am in the new guy training phase now and having to experience the new guy hazing / initiation common to newcomers. I don’t care for the interviewing process or having to go through the new guy period where you don’t know anything and have to curry favor with those who are bestowing their vast wealth of knowledge on you and making you jump through hoops to get it.

Where I am at now one individual has been made accusatory statements to me that incorrectly insinuate that I was on his PC, which I was not, and that when I eventually have access to applications and licenses that I am to understand that this is company property and that I can’t take copies home, etc. You don’t have to tell me, of course this is company property and I don’t touch other people’s PC’s or take what is not mine. I explained to this individual that working with the applications at work I would have no need for any additional copies.

Previously I had asked the supervisor about buying applications from the company so that I could further familiarize myself with the software and learn more about it on my own time. Regular employees can purchase software but not contactors. I do resent the accusatory insinuations but so far have kept my mouth shut.

On several occasions I have had to stay beyond my scheduled hours without compensation which is going to happen. Contract employees do not receive overtime compensation for this while the regulars do. Since I am a contract employee working for someone else I should let my employer, the one that actually writes my paychecks, know that I (and them) have been providing service free of charge. I don’t mind staying late but my employer probably wouldn’t appreciate it. The new guy has to put up with the initial BS to prove himself and do the slop tasks and projects that the regulars don’t want to do. I’m trying to keep a balance of just how much to put up with and speaking up for myself without upsetting the applecart or pissing people off I may be dependant on down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 AM

51,230 posts, read 36,904,839 times
I'm a contractor too, and when I go into a new building, it takes a bit of time to get in with the culture of that company and earn the trust of my co-workers. There are also different documentation systems in each building, and so it takes me longer and often I stay late or do work at home until I'm more familiar with it. I just go with the flow, and let things roll off my shoulders, and it all works out fine very quickly. I wouldn't think complaining about co-workers or hours is a good way to start. Just do your job to the best of your ability and it'll be fine once you learn the ropes.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:53 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,766,564 times
I think you should just carry on, do what you need to do. If that means working a few hours over, so be it. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,151,422 times
Are you contracting through an agency? I doubt the agency likes the idea of unbilled hours worked.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 AM

160 posts, read 267,661 times
I wouldn't cause to many waves because as a contract worker they can just say they don't need your services anymore at any time.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Are you contracting through an agency? I doubt the agency likes the idea of unbilled hours worked.
Yes, this is my situation. On the one hand I probably should say something but on the other hand I could be perceived unfavorably by my coworkers for saying something and it becoming an issue. I appreciate the learning opportunity and am grateful just to have a job in these tough economic times so I'll just let this go and put up with it and eventually become one of the regular group. If it's going to get out of hand I'll have to let the agency know though because they aren't getting paid for their service either and whereas I don't have a problem with it they might not appreciate it.

Last edited by JBauer; 05-31-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm a contractor too, ... I wouldn't think complaining about co-workers or hours is a good way to start. Just do your job to the best of your ability and it'll be fine once you learn the ropes.
My personal policy is to say nothing. I can, and have in the past, put up with a -lot- of crap and have taken far worse than what I'm experiencing here. Of course I won't ever tell them that.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,151,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Yes, this is my situation. On the one hand I probably should say something but on the other hand I could be perceived unfavorably by my coworkers for saying something and it becoming an issue. I appreciate the learning opportunity and am grateful just to have a job in these tough economic times so I'll just let this go and put up with it and eventually become one of the regular group. If it's going to get out of hand I'll have to let the agency know though because they aren't getting paid for their service either and whereas I don't have a problem with it they might not appreciate it.
I would just report my hours worked. How would your co-workers know the hours that you are reporting, unless you are giving them a copy of your timesheet?

Honestly, I have never cared about my worker's time sheets. I doubt they care about your time sheet. You don't know what challenges or problems they are going through. They don't have time to worry about your problems, too. Their world does not revolve around you. I have always looked out for number one.

You are over-analyzing things. Calm down.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,133,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
My personal policy is to say nothing. I can, and have in the past, put up with a -lot- of crap and have taken far worse than what I'm experiencing here. Of course I won't ever tell them that.
Of course not.

It was a long time ago, but I did the temp to perm thing a time or two. Technically, your employer right now is the temporary service. Re hours worked, bring it up to your "go-to" person at the temp service. The OT probably has to be approved by both companies.

Sounds like you're handling the tenured idiots very well; some folks think that temps are less than human and they'll try to get away with junior high school shenanigans. If you should decide to take part in the greasy kid stuff, then it's probably out the door rather quickly.

Tough spot to be in, especially when you chose to be there......

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,564,682 times
If you work for an agency, you have to report ALL of the hours worked. Just put down all of the hours. The agency will deal with the employer.

Also, since the agency is your employer, you need to ignore all of the foolishness that comes from the hiring company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment