Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

In the beginning of the video, the camera guy says they stole some Febreze. WTF. Is there some kind of shortage over there? Do people inhale it to get high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Assault with a deadly weapon? BAN Febreze!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Did it occur to this degenerate that spraying someone with a toxic chemical could cause permanent harm, even as bad as permanent vision loss or blindness? How dumb could he be that he cares enough about some DOLLAR STORE merchandise made by child labor in Communist China that he's willing to assault somebody?

Why isn't he in jail?
^^^This is why I would never work as a retail manager.

You're damned if you do (try to shop people from shoplifting) and damned if you don't (just let them steal the merchandise).

Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
National stores have very clear cut guidelines about how to deal with thieves and they will not hesitate to fire you for violating their policy.
The thing is, the workers at these stores have no idea what type of weapons the customers are carrying, nor their mental stability. If they were to follow the store's policies, they could be injured by the customer. While I'm not defending what this particular manager did, I can understand why they did it. This was in Saginaw, MI after all, which is basically a little (albeit more racially ambiguous) Detroit.

There was a similar situation with a teacher recently in Michigan's EAA school district who used a broom stick to stop 2 kids from killing each other. She was damned if she had left the classroom without stopping the fight, and damned if she used the broom stick (or a weapon) on them. Of course, after initially being fired, they hired her back in the wake of public outrage.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM

Now that I read most of the responses, I take it many of you have never worked in or lived in a high crime/low service area.

Not that I'm surprised...

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default OK, I give up; what is the "official policy" ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Now that I read most of the responses, I take it many of you have never worked in or lived in a high crime/low service area.

Not that I'm surprised...
Theft. Theft is theft. It's the lowest you can go. When I did retail in the USA we took down shoplifters.
No, I don't recommend it. But even though we were Teamsters Retail, I never did know the official policy.

Head office can get really comfortable in the chairs, but they're not on the front line dealing with this trash day after day. So Head Office: what IS your policy for dealing with shoplifters??

Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Theft. Theft is theft. It's the lowest you can go. When I did retail in the USA we took down shoplifters.
No, I don't recommend it. But even though we were Teamsters Retail, I never did know the official policy.

Head office can get really comfortable in the chairs, but they're not on the front line dealing with this trash day after day. So Head Office: what IS your policy for dealing with shoplifters??
The only issue concerning head office is said crazy customers suing their asses off because one of their front line employees "assaulted" them (because said crazy customer escalated the situation by being indignant in the first place).

Yet, at the same time, employees shouldn't dare allow said crazy customers to steal too much merchandise, because then they'll close the store and be out of job any way due to too much shrinkage. Today, it's one Febreze bottle, but eventually the number of Febreze bottles that manage to grow legs and stroll out of the door add up and start to cost the company money, then the head office will complain about that.

EDIT: To answer your question, I'm assuming it involves something like calling the cops. But if you're a manager of a store in a place like Detroit, good luck having the police come on time to stop the shoplifter, if at all. In the meanwhile, if by pure chance you are able to apprehend said customer without them crying "assault!!!", good luck keeping them restrained until the police come.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,089 times
LOL he hopes Febreze will hire him for a commercial.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 AM

513 posts, read 799,618 times
I worked at a popular women's/men's clothing store at the mall. They told us never confront shoplifters. The way to prevent shoplifting is to "provide good customer service". They also have something called "shrink allowance" and it is exactly what it sounds like. They allow for a certain amount of loss for shoplifters and it is put into the budget.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The thing is, the workers at these stores have no idea what type of weapons the customers are carrying, nor their mental stability. If they were to follow the store's policies, they could be injured by the customer. While I'm not defending what this particular manager did, I can understand why they did it. This was in Saginaw, MI after all, which is basically a little (albeit more racially ambiguous) Detroit.

There was a similar situation with a teacher recently in Michigan's EAA school district who used a broom stick to stop 2 kids from killing each other. She was damned if she had left the classroom without stopping the fight, and damned if she used the broom stick (or a weapon) on them. Of course, after initially being fired, they hired her back in the wake of public outrage.
The store policy is to not confront the attacker. The employee is not comprimising his safety by following this policy and contacting the police. He is comprimising his safety by doing the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment