Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I worked at a popular women's/men's clothing store at the mall. They told us never confront shoplifters. The way to prevent shoplifting is to "provide good customer service". They also have something called "shrink allowance" and it is exactly what it sounds like. They allow for a certain amount of loss for shoplifters and it is put into the budget.
And most of that is from employees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM

589 posts, read 696,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
How dumb could he be that he cares enough about some DOLLAR STORE merchandise made by child labor in Communist China that he's willing to assault somebody?
The manager is at fault for shoplifting. The higher ups will blame him and he can lose his job over it. Of course he should have just called the police.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Who in their right mind shoplifts Febreze, I agree shop lifting is wrong but this store manager is some kind of punk and a mental midget.

Who put this guy in charge , definitely not a pro, has anger issues, immature and YES it was cowardly to spray a smaller women pregnant or not in the face with this.

If it was a dude his size he would have risked a serious beating over what?

Guess who's going to get sued over this?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,513 times
You are NEVER supposed to confront the shoplifter. What if he/she has a knife or gun? Is dollar store merchandise worth losing your life over? I am sure they don't pay enough for anyone to be a hero, either. Let them have it. The crap gets written off anyway.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
I love the responses here.

Suppose it was a general store and the guy was the owner. How much shoplifting is he to put up with? If you let it go once it escalates to pushing cartloads of stolen items out of the doors.

Don't Dollar Stores have in-store security cameras?

Just as with any crime; if no one stands up to the perpetrator there is no deterrent. If there are no deterrents we end up with the society we live in...basically a bunch of head in the sand dolts afraid of their own shadows. The same crowd who want to ban guns.

Those were some beastly white women. I know they all walk 2 miles a day before breakfast.

I am white and that whole scene was pretty embarrassing.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Suppose it was a general store and the guy was the owner. How much shoplifting is he to put up with?

Not for him to decide. That is a regional or corporate decision. Once you start confronting suspected shoplifters like that, you open yourself up to serious lawsuits. It can be done, but places that do it have professional security with clear rules of engagement.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Suppose it was a general store and the guy was the owner. How much shoplifting is he to put up with? If you let it go once it escalates to pushing cartloads of stolen items out of the doors.

Don't Dollar Stores have in-store security cameras?

Just as with any crime; if no one stands up to the perpetrator there is no deterrent. If there are no deterrents we end up with the society we live in...basically a bunch of head in the sand dolts afraid of their own shadows. The same crowd who want to ban guns.

Those were some beastly white women. I know they all walk 2 miles a day before breakfast.

I am white and that whole scene was pretty embarrassing.
Assault is a much more serious crime than shoplifting. The manager should be in jail

Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,591 times
Wasp spray > Fabreeze.

When you care enough to spray the very best.

j/k, there was no excuse for him to pursue, let alone spray.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
What i find most amazing is that the bottle actually sprayed. Im usually squeezing that trigger a few hundred times before i get something (if anything) to come out.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
I'll play devil's advocate here.

This manager should have called the police but at the same time, he did what he thought was right at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment