Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times

Advertisements

They guy was screaming so much it looked like a rerun of Repo Man. There are some real skanks out there really, shoplifting while pregnant really. I will give her a stipend if she gets her tubes tied. We don't need her breeding no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

513 posts, read 799,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I love the responses here.

Suppose it was a general store and the guy was the owner. How much shoplifting is he to put up with? If you let it go once it escalates to pushing cartloads of stolen items out of the doors.

Don't Dollar Stores have in-store security cameras?

Just as with any crime; if no one stands up to the perpetrator there is no deterrent. If there are no deterrents we end up with the society we live in...basically a bunch of head in the sand dolts afraid of their own shadows. The same crowd who want to ban guns.

Those were some beastly white women. I know they all walk 2 miles a day before breakfast.

I am white and that whole scene was pretty embarrassing.

Put in detectors that go off when you walk out with items not paid for. Provide "customer service" and ask the person politely if you can help them and follow them and "help". There are many things you can do that doesn't involve assaulting a customer. In fact the best way is to greet the person, check all bags, and make sure the person knows you will be watching.

Sorry but I'm not attempting to confront someone who may have a gun or knife over dollar store merchandise. Especially when its a big chain store. There is not a single company where the policy is to confront suspected shoplifters. There is a reason for that. Call the cops. Or say something like "ma'am, I think you accidentally missed something, would you like me to ring that up for you?"

Set up the store so there is no blind spots. Put cameras and or mirrors. Plenty of things that doesn't involve spraying a chemical at someone. The lawsuit will cost you more than they would ever steal.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default He had his Kodak moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
They guy was screaming so much it looked like a rerun of Repo Man. There are some real skanks out there really, shoplifting while pregnant really. I will give her a stipend if she gets her tubes tied. We don't need her breeding no more.
Febreze is nasty stuff. If you have a marine aquarium in your home don't use it.
It'll kill everything in the tank!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
we do need to teach many a lesson but we are a people resistant to ever doing that in any point in the life cycle.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Je-rry! Je-rry! Je-rry! Je-rry!

As someone who used to work in a K-mart, I'm glad they covered what to do about theft... if you see or suspect someone stealing something, call a manager or Loss Control and let them handle it. Do NOT take that matter into your own hands! I'm sure they were more worried about one of us making a mistake and falsely accusing someone of stealing, but they'd say it was for our safety too. Good to hear, as I didn't really want to deal with this.

In the good old days, sometimes a "stare down" will cause the thieves to just drop the merchandise they're trying to swipe and promptly leave the store, but I don't think it'd work with these folks.

This case is such a shade of gray... I'm assuming the women really did shoplift? But the manager did spray them. I'd imagine both sides would be at fault. As tempting as it was, the manager should've just called the cops and tried to wait for them to deal with it.

This situation reminds me of a clip in that movie Summerland where a amusement park/carnival booth attendant fresh out of high school called out a man for reaching over the counter and stealing a giant stuffed panda. The boy gave the girl he's working with a quizzical look as to why she'd let him get away with that, and her response was "Did you really wanted to get knifed over a panda?"

Old 06-06-2014, 01:24 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Clearly this is fake because per City Data, managers and supervisors do not get fired.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 AM

696 posts, read 907,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAGINAW, Mich., June 4 (UPI) --A Michigan Family Dollar manager who was caught on camera spraying Febreze at some suspected shoplifters has been fired.

In a video that has been spreading virally, ex-manager Gavyn Edlinger confronts the alleged shoplifters (one of whom is pregnant), before launching into a profanity-laced rant and spraying Febreze at them. "[expletive], what I want you to do is do something," Edlinger says in the clip. "I will whoop yo' [expletive]!"

Read more: Febreze spray attack on suspected shoplifters gets Family Dollar store manager Gavyn Edlinger fired - UPI.com
Cockroaches fighting over garbage.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Put in detectors that go off when you walk out with items not paid for. Provide "customer service" and ask the person politely if you can help them and follow them and "help". There are many things you can do that doesn't involve assaulting a customer. In fact the best way is to greet the person, check all bags, and make sure the person knows you will be watching.
Stores like Family Dollars typically aren't staffed well enough to offer that type of service. At best, there's a store manager and 1, maybe 2 cashiers on staff.

But if customers go into stores like Family Dollar thinking they're entitled to an upscale level of service (it's a dollar store for crying out loud, not Bloomingdales or Nordstroms), that causes part of the problem alone.

As far as detectors and adding cameras, they can't actually stop a thief from stealing. They're objects without arms and legs. They can only HELP in catching a perp once they're long gone (if the effort is worth it), provided a retailer is in a location with a decent level of competent law enforcement to back them up in finding the perp.

Also, no competent thief would be stupid enough to stop by the cash register so the store employee can say "ma'am, I think you accidentally missed something, would you like me to ring that up for you?" if they came in with the intent to steal.

Then again, I was born and raised in Detroit. So I guess that's the reason I disagree with the perspective many share.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:27 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
This case is such a shade of gray... I'm assuming the women really did shoplift? But the manager did spray them. I'd imagine both sides would be at fault. As tempting as it was, the manager should've just called the cops and tried to wait for them to deal with it.
This particular store in the OP is located in an area that's low income with low levels of municipal services (thus probably a poor level of support from law enforcement). As a result, the store probably already has too much merchandise growing legs and strolling out the door.

If the manager doesn't find some way to curtail this, he/she will be blamed by the head office for the high levels of shrinkage and will lose their job, something nobody wants to lose in this economy.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,385 times
Don't have time to take a shower? Febreeze it!

But hey, this makes Detroit all the better...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment