Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadacheFan View Post
I was interviewed yesterday for a position from a competitor company ( same position, better salary and what seemed to be a good we'll run organization), I knew I am getting the job, it's just a matter of when. However, I was fired today by my current employer for a mistake my subordinate did- but as a manager, I was ultimately responsible. Anyway, today, (same day of my u fired?termination) I received an email from the potential employer's recruiter about consenting a background check and she also indicates that since I m still employed by my current company, that she will not contact my current employer so as not to jeopardize my job.- I replied with "appreciate your courtesy and thank you" - I know that I'm getting this job because the hiring manager actually called me directly and told me about the position, however they still need to do their process prior to hiring me- but since I got sacked from my job today- should I inform this potential employer that I was let go today?
Quote:
I worked for a financial institution as a Bank Manager so I don't know if the other financial institution would find out about my termination today. I really hope not. I wanted to call them and be honest but I also don't want to lose out on the job opportunity. My firing has nothing to do with ethics or honesty. According to HR, my boss thinks I wasn't being forthcoming with what I know about my banker's mistake and that I wasn't around enough to manage the people at my office. I call it BS, my boss found out that I was looking to move to another department and I think he retaliate. I was one of his top performer so it baffles that he found a hole to terminate me.
So why were you fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 PM

70 posts, read 124,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So why were you fired?
I was gone for 4 hours ( this is an 11 hours work day) without telling my boss ( I never had to, I didn't think that I should as he's working remotely). I was a manager and I was in a business appt. for 2 hours and another 2 hours I used for personal reason due to working 7 days straight I didn't have anytime to do anything for my self (dr appt., etc). I never have a problem before in doing this and this is what managers do. According to my boss, I should have told him that I would be gone for that amount time. But there was no rules that I should be telling him where I was? I'm a manager of my own office and I never have to do that before. I don't mind if I have to tell him but I have been doing this ever since I became a manager and so do other managers in the company. We manage our time as we work so much hours. But if I wasn't informed that this is his rules, how would I know to tell him that I am leaving and going to so and so place? I may be a hardworking person but I can't read minds.

In regards to a banker: she had opened an account as what deemed to be inappropriate type of accounts, he said that I coached her to do that- I did not tell her to do anything unethical. I would not jeopardize my career for a $50.00 accounts.

My boss also cites that taking 2 hours of personal time without his knowledge is unacceptable. (First time I'm hearing this) This is obviously picking and choosing what he can mine to get me fired because he could have pulled me aside and tell me that he does not like that or give me a warning that it's not something align with company policy but instead of giving me any written warning or verbal, I was terminated for missing 2 hours of work.

Last edited by HeadacheFan; 06-06-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 04:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
[quote=HeadacheFan;35129868]I was gone for 4 hours ( this is an 11 hours work day) without telling my boss ( I never had to, I didn't think that I should as he's working remotely). I was a manager and I was in a business appt. for 2 hours and another 2 hours I used for personal reason due to working 7 days straight I didn't have anytime to do anything for my self (dr appt., etc). I never have a problem before in doing this and this is what managers do. According to my boss, I should have told him that I would be gone for that amount time. But there was no rules that I should be telling him where I was? I'm a manager of my own office and I never have to do that before. I don't mind if I have to tell him but I have been doing this ever since I became a manager and so do other managers in the company. We manage our time as we work so much hours. But if I wasn't informed that this is his rules, how would I know to tell him that I am leaving and going to so and so place? I may be a hardworking person but I can't read minds.

In regards to a banker: she had opened an account as what deemed to be inappropriate type of accounts, he said that I coached her to do that- I did not tell her to do anything unethical. I would not jeopardize my career for a $50.00 accounts.

My boss also cites that taking 2 hours of personal time without his knowledge is unacceptable. (First time I'm hearing this) This is obviously picking and choosing what he can mine to get me fired because he could have pulled me aside and tell me that he does not like that or give me a warning that it's not something align with company policy but instead of giving me any written warning or verbal, I was terminated for missing 2 hours of work.[/QUOTe
That sure does not sound fair.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Quote:
Thanks- you're right. Being fired actually thought me a very big lesson. Everyone is dispensable. Any employee is only as good as their numbers to date, and none of your work matters when it comes to their bottom line. As a salaried employee, I had been working 7 days a week for the last 2 months (my assistant was out on FMLA and my other employee left) so I was working 3 persons job. Those things don't matter (working on extended hours and doing 3 things at once) I learned the hard way. I'm glad that I discovered this at 30, unfortunately, it happened the way it did. I had to be fired to learned that I can't break my back and sell my soul for any job.
All true, we're all replaceable, from the CEO on down. Despite what happened, I think somehow timing is on your side and things will probably work out for you with the new opportunity. Like the others already said, unless they ask, don't reveal you were fired. I look forward to some updates from you, good luck.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 AM

279 posts, read 356,389 times
Quote:
I was one of his top performer so it baffles that he found a hole to terminate me.
Quite possibly your boss knew you were out looking for that new job.
If it were me, I wouldn't say anything to your perspective new employer. If for some reason the job falls through change your resume to reflect the new information.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Indeed, but the employment history check is based on the information you provided on your resume and application...?
Not necessarily. If you work for a company that uses a payroll service, there's a database. As an employer, all I need is your SS# and authorization and I'll find all those jobs you left off and be able to see all the actual dates of employment, actual title and actual pay.

I don't call anyone when I run this. If it verifies, it verifies. If it shows something completely different than what you put on your app, then we'll chat.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
All true, we're all replaceable, from the CEO on down. Despite what happened, I think somehow timing is on your side and things will probably work out for you with the new opportunity. Like the others already said, unless they ask, don't reveal you were fired. I look forward to some updates from you, good luck.
Thanks. I'm anxious to get the call and I will def update here. This place has been a place to vent for me and I feel good knowing good people here were willing to contribute with honest opinion. I have not cry my eyes out as it just happened yesterday and I'm mentally check out from my job I was fired from anyway. They had been taking a lot of my time away from my family and I foolishly throw away many opportunity to spend those precious moment with my daughter just so I could work and do the best I can at my job. I think my biggest mistake I made was Missing writing on the wall. I should have taken 3 sick days, got out on an FMLA for having a bad migraine or whatever and I wish I had taken advantage more by using up my vacation. I did not do those because I like working. I enjoyed it and being at home without doing nothing to depressed me.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Not necessarily. If you work for a company that uses a payroll service, there's a database. As an employer, all I need is your SS# and authorization and I'll find all those jobs you left off and be able to see all the actual dates of employment, actual title and actual pay.

I don't call anyone when I run this. If it verifies, it verifies. If it shows something completely different than what you put on your app, then we'll chat.
This is my other dilemma: prior to my termination yesterday, I was interviewed by two competitor company. The 1st was the one who had reached out to me first and I string them along just in case (I believe that the offer is coming by early next week) and then 2nd was the one I really want to work for. The problem is the 2nd company wanted to give me the final interview with their director (probably next week) and I can tell they really like me as well as they had verified that I was the top performer in my current employer who had fired me. Should I tell them that I was fired or let go? Company #2 I think could take longer to hire me and they will eventually find out I'm no longer with my current employer. This is my plan. I'll talk to them once the 1st company offered me the position next week And tell them that "I got an offer from the 1st company and I accepted the offer". I'll also tell them that maybe someday if opportunity comes again that I would probably consider applying again in the future. This way they don't have to find out I was let go?

Last edited by HeadacheFan; 06-07-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
Since you are unemployed I take the first one that calls

Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
Quote:
This is my other dilemma: prior to my termination yesterday, I was interviewed by two competitor company. The 1st was the one who had reached out to me first and I string them along just in case (I believe that the offer is coming by early next week) and then 2nd was the one I really want to work for. The problem is the 2nd company wanted to give me the final interview with their director (probably next week) and I can tell they really like me as well as they had verified that I was the top performer in my current employer who had fired me.
Bingo! I'll bet that's why you were fired. Your supervisor found out you were trying to find another job, and let you go for a bogus reason.

Quote:
Should I tell them that I was fired or let go? Company #2 I think could take longer to hire me and they will eventually find out I'm no longer with my current employer.
I would not offer any information about being fired. However, if they ask you about it, you should say that your employer found out that you were looking for a new job, and let you go because of that.

Quote:
This is my plan. I'll talk to them once the 1st company offered me the position next week And tell them that "I got an offer from the 1st company and I accepted the offer". I'll also tell them that maybe someday if opportunity comes again that I would probably consider applying again in the future. This way they don't have to find out I was let go?
You could also try to use the job offer at Company 1 to your advantage? Since you really want the job at Company 2, you could:

Accept the job at Company 1, but give them a start date of two weeks from now. Then, call Company 2 and tell them you got another job offer, but would prefer to work for them. Ask if they could speed up your next interview and offer decision. If they do, and you get an offer, then take the job at Company 2, and cancel with the first company. If you do not get the offer, you still have your job with Company 1.

Also, the two weeks off will give you a bit of a vacation before starting your new job (during which you will get unemployment--so you will not be depending entirely on your savings). It's always nice to take some time off before starting the new job (if you can afford it), as you will probably not be entitled to any vacation time for at least 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment