Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM

100 posts, read 155,563 times

Advertisements

Ok guys Im 28 years old, all I have to my name is a high school diploma with no college education whatsoever, I have worked a $11 job for the past 7 years with no room for advancement, its being a maintenance man... Well I always wanted to be a cop, I interviewed for a jailer position and I found out it really isn't what I thought it would be.... Im a nice guy and I just didn't like I thought I would

So now im 28 years old, Not married with no kids and im trying to figure out what I need to do for my future ( Making good money for my future family ) what can I get into with a HS diploma or even an associates degree good paying job? can someone please help?

It would mean a lot if I got some good advice. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:23 PM

158 posts, read 273,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
Ok guys Im 28 years old, all I have to my name is a high school diploma with no college education whatsoever, I have worked a $11 job for the past 7 years with no room for advancement, its being a maintenance man... Well I always wanted to be a cop, I interviewed for a jailer position and I found out it really isn't what I thought it would be.... Im a nice guy and I just didn't like I thought I would

So now im 28 years old, Not married with no kids and im trying to figure out what I need to do for my future ( Making good money for my future family ) what can I get into with a HS diploma or even an associates degree good paying job? can someone please help?

Well gee, what do you want to do with your life?

I mean there's tons of things that can be done, but really you have to do some soul searching because you're going to be spending 1/3 of your life doing this thing for 30 years or so.

What I would recommend is going down to your local community college and having a meeting with a career counselor.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Right now it's really hard for me to get into college because of finances, Im trying to figure out what would be best for me to do without any college at the moment?

I love Sports... but have no idea how that would translate into anything. I wasted the first 10 years of adult hood and it's finally taking me this long to realize that I have to be more serious about this.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM

158 posts, read 273,826 times
Quote:
Right now it's really hard for me to get into college because of finances, Im trying to figure out what would be best for me to do without any college at the moment?

I love Sports... but have no idea how that would translate into anything. I wasted the first 10 years of adult hood and it's finally taking me this long to realize that I have to be more serious about this.
Ok...you love sports...

What about a job at a gym? You could start small, work your way up and become a personal trainer, fitness trainer, or even do sales which pays pretty well if you are good at getting people signed into gym contracts. Or you could get into management.

What about working at a local park? There are park maintenance people who get paid pretty well and it's generally a state job, so pay might not be great but the benefits would be, and would be good for a family.

Or, in my area, there are tons of little soccer leagues and stuff. They usually hire people to run the show and make the schedules and hire the coaches. That is an option.

Is there a sports stadium or arena anywhere? you could get your foot in the door by doing some odd job there and work your way up.

Whatever you end up doing, you are going to have to start at some low income job and work your way up, that's just the way it is when you have no education. My husband doesn't have an education (yet), so he started working in a car shop changing tires and now he isa Commercial Sales Manager and is on his way to making 6 figures (it's mostly commission), about 10 years later, although there have been a lot of job changes and a few bumps in the road.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
I just learned the firefighters in my town start out at a range of $40 - $50K and when we looked up the village salaries we saw a couple people we know in their 50's who are making $92K a year. I think they may also be EMT's because the page we saw with the ranges had the highest firefighter salary at $88K.

I'm just throwing that out there, and of course pay will be different all over the country. If you can get a decent job then you'll be in a better position to return to school for a degree or to learn a trade, if that's what you choose.
You can always do two years at a Community college and then transfer to get a four year degree if that's the direction you go in.

Hats off to you for coming to this realization and wanting to take action to improve your position. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:

Do you mean prison guard? That is not the same as being a cop. Not even close.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Yeah law enforcement isn't for me, im just too nice of a guy to do it

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
It is not too late OP i was in the same boat wounding WTF am i doing back working retail once more? Sure i made more than most people do but it a brainless job.

That being said time is not on your side IMO you do not want to wake up one day and all of a sudden your 35 years old posting on CD what am i doing with my life.

One last thing if you want something bad enough you will find away to get it done.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,873 times
Maybe Sales? Go to Indeed.com and search "Sales High School".

Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
At 28 with no kids and no real obligations you're certainly not too old to try out something new. You need to take inventory.

1) What do you like to do? You said you like sports. What could you see yourself doing eight hours a day indefinitely?

1A) How can you turn what you like to do into a job? For sports, that could be sports medicine as an example.

2) If you don't have anything that you'd really like to do for work, what could you at least tolerate? We may not love or even like or jobs, but we need to be able to tolerate them.

Once you have some idea of what you want to do, check out community colleges, trade schools, or whatever training program exists for the field. Try and talk to people in the field to get their impressions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment