Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 AM

403 posts, read 931,818 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

I moved to the area back in September. I came without a job, which I should have avoided...but the circumstances dictated that I make the move at this time. I'm temporarily living in Geneva, with plans to move to the city when possible. Although I love the Chicago area, I'm having a tremendously difficult time finding work up here. I've been on job boards, interviewed with some staffing agencies, etc. I left a solid job in event planning back in NC for an ad agency, which I'm realizing is a very small niche now that I've left. I've had to take a part-time job to pay bills for the time being. I do have my BA in Communication, and I'm realizing that the broad reach of the degree doesn't leave me particularly specialized in much (aside from what I've been doing). I enjoy writing, and love working with people.

Given this info, do any of you know what kinds of careers/options might work best for me in the Chicago market. What careers are big here, and what are practical options. I have looked at copywriting, but it's obviously very difficult to get in without experience in that area. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,542,166 times
Pretty much any sort of event planning is easy to cut back in a tough economy. I know people that started as event planning types and moved over to Corportate Training, but that is an area easy to cut too.

If you can afford to get some specialized training it would be smart to gain skills in an area that is more in demand -- advertising is NOT it. Ad jobs have been on the DECLINE for decades!

Think education, health care, government services...

Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,855,256 times
I hate to say it, but your move was definitely in the category of "bad timing". September-November has been an economic nightmare, and we're now starting to see the massive job losses that were feared. My industry is getting killed. You will soon be competing with hoardes of unemployed architects, consultants, and construction managers for marginal jobs.

If advertising interests you, the jobs are now in "new media"--otherwise known as the internet. My wife is in this industry, and internet jobs are fairing better than any other branch of advertising by a long shot.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,227,941 times
Advertising in the traditional sense doesn't really exist anymore. It is Advertising/Marketing and involves a lot of different media - i.e. campaigns combining online components with traditional advertising, direct mail, experiential marketing, PR, CRM, etc.. Chicago is one of the largest centers for marketing in the US, along with NYC and LA.

The field has been growing overall, but like like almost every industry it is experiencing a downturn right now and there is a lot of competition for jobs. Your best bet would probably be to get in touch with staffing agencies that specialize in marketing - Aquent, Paladin, Artisan, and Creative Circle are some of the larger ones. Experiential marketing may be your best bet - it is basically working marketing events. This includes things like trade shows, sporting events, bar promotions, and block parties. It is a good area for getting your foot in the door since a lot of people are hired for the duration of an event, which can provide opportunities for networking.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM

560 posts, read 1,550,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I hate to say it, but your move was definitely in the category of "bad timing"...You will soon be competing with hoardes of unemployed architects, consultants, and construction managers for marginal jobs.
Well said. I am in Raleigh NC right now and was planning to move to Chicago next month or at least by the Spring but I am staying put because of what you just described as "very bad timing". I also was deciding between Miami and chicago but now thanks to this economy hitting your area and other major cities, I have decided to postpone my move. The OP may not have realized that when he moved since Chicago is a big city and finding a job there should not have been a problem 10 years ago. However, things have changed tremendously since 9/11 and especially very recently. From what I hear, layoffs have not really started in Chicago or anywhere really. Just wait until next year when scores of smart men/women begin to lose their jobs. I'm in the healthcare field here in NC and my company is on a hiring freeze but has not yet started a layoff. So, when things improve, which I hear could be in the next 2 yrs, I may be moving to Chicagoland or even Miami, so I'll see. Good thing with NC is that rent is so cheap and affordable, something the Chicago area is not known for.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,467,818 times
Last I checked, Chicago was at lest a full percent worse in unemployment than the national average. I've been searching since May when I got my MS and am moving to Ga to work for the feds. It doesn't help that the politicians here are functionally retarded and making things worse [They make the president look good by comparison].

Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 PM

403 posts, read 931,818 times
Thanks all for your responses! I was able to find something in the city, so hopefully all goes well.

Atrill---thank you for that advice. That's very helpful, and I'll take a look at Experiential Marketing.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,060,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Well said. I am in Raleigh NC right now and was planning to move to Chicago next month or at least by the Spring but I am staying put because of what you just described as "very bad timing". I also was deciding between Miami and chicago but now thanks to this economy hitting your area and other major cities, I have decided to postpone my move. The OP may not have realized that when he moved since Chicago is a big city and finding a job there should not have been a problem 10 years ago. However, things have changed tremendously since 9/11 and especially very recently. From what I hear, layoffs have not really started in Chicago or anywhere really. Just wait until next year when scores of smart men/women begin to lose their jobs. I'm in the healthcare field here in NC and my company is on a hiring freeze but has not yet started a layoff. So, when things improve, which I hear could be in the next 2 yrs, I may be moving to Chicagoland or even Miami, so I'll see. Good thing with NC is that rent is so cheap and affordable, something the Chicago area is not known for.
Tatiana, layoffs HAVE begun...seriously...in Charlotte and NYC in the financial market. Apparently, SD is the place to be with a 2% unemployment ratio.
PS: Charlotte's unemployment ratio is 7.1% higher than the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: