Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 PM

226 posts, read 614,545 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a job, but they don't have the hourly rate up, it says Salaried: 2,366.00 a month. It's obviously salaried but I heard from my Aunt that salaried jobs will make you work over 40 hours a week, and they can make you work extra hours and not pay you, cause your job is "salaried" This is according to my aunt and my cousin, but I want to find out from other people if that's true? Cause wouldn't it be illegal to make someone work extra hours and not get paid for it? Is salary jobs worth it? What is the difference in salary jobs? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Your aunt and cousin are correct. Unfortunately, it is not illegal. If you are exempt you aren't eligible for overtime pay, if you are non-exempt you can be paid overtime, time and a half.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
That's how it goes. It's not all bad though.

Some places work 40-45 hours/week. If there is career advancement opportunity, a salaried employee can make more than an hourly employee with 20-30 hours overtime. The entry level salaried positions will make less than hourly employee, but you can pass it up after 2 years exp.

My current salaried position is triple my old hourly job's pay.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Salaried positions are exempt from overtime. They are called salaried positions and not hourly positions because you are paid for however long you need to work--not how many hours you are at work. My ex-wife was salaried retail and she worked long hours, was called in on her days off regularly, etc. We decided she should just quit because her salary divided by her hours worked equaled crappy pay per hour. I am salaried and I am also on call 24/7 every other week. To help take the sting out, I get a company car the weeks I am on call. The most I have worked as a salaried employee I think is in the 70-80 hours a week mark, but it is generally 40. If I am working long hours my boss will let me slide in an extra day off here and there to make up for all of the "unpaid overtime." Where I work, a salaried position is most likely to have a significant amount of weekend and holidays off. A salaried position can be a good gig or it can be a screw job.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNikki View Post
I am interested in a job, but they don't have the hourly rate up, it says Salaried: 2,366.00 a month.
That's less then $15 an hour, (based on a 40 hour work week) pretty crappy pay unless your entry level. My last two jobs were salary, and while yes technically can make you work more than 40 hours a week, they generally didn't do that at either company. On my last job, they did pay overtime, but it was straight time, no time and a half pay.

You need to take a good look at the job and see what they expect out of you, $2,366 is $14.78 a hour, if they expect you to 60 hours a week, you looking at making less than $10 a hour.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'm salaried and rarely work over 40 hours, a few months during a major project, and once in a while when there's a big problem. Unfortunately some employers do take advantage of their exempt people, but there's really no way to know ahead of time.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm salaried and rarely work over 40 hours, a few months during a major project, and once in a while when there's a big problem. Unfortunately some employers do take advantage of their exempt people, but there's really no way to know ahead of time.
Exactly. I've been salaried and I've rarely had to work overtime.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I'd make sure during the interview to ask the expected hours up front so that you have a clear understanding of what is expected of you. If they are dodgy or tell you 50-60 hours then you need to do the math and find out what that comes out to hourly and if they lie you can feel free to dump them at any time for a better job.

There are a lot of companies out there especially low paying ones that do abuse salary workers and make them work really bad hours with no overtime and some others where salary is straight 40.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM

552 posts, read 834,460 times
That's why even with a salaried position, dont work more than 40 hours. If anything try to work fewer hours so your tae per hour is higher. That's what I do. I try not to go over 32 hours a week, but i still get paid 40.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM

493 posts, read 980,261 times
Not all salaried positions are exempt, see http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...a_overview.htm and even the ones that are exempt from overtime won't always make you work more than 40 hours.

If a salaried (or hourly) job is considered exempt, you do not legally have to be paid extra for overtime. How many hours you work and any overtime pay are at the discretion of the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment