Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Plus in today's world it is so easy to use fake letters of recommendation. I can right you one from the biggest property management firm in the world if you'd like.
Right?

Anyway there are organizations that tend to filter that. Schoolspring for example takes the following steps.

You fill out a form saying this person is to be contacted for a letter

That person gets an link asking for it.

If that person submits it then it goes though. This way it prevents people from faking it on their own as they have two email addresses and verified people rather then one. At the same point you cannot fake transcripts it only puts them in from the institution itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right?

Anyway there are organizations that tend to filter that. Schoolspring for example takes the following steps.

You fill out a form saying this person is to be contacted for a letter

That person gets an link asking for it.

If that person submits it then it goes though. This way it prevents people from faking it on their own as they have two email addresses and verified people rather then one. At the same point you cannot fake transcripts it only puts them in from the institution itself.
Forging transcripts is a whole different animal. But LOR's are still simple. sure! There are exceptions, but for the most part companies don't use services for these. But even LOR's don't carry the weight they once did.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Those psych things need to die right now. They are the lazy leftover of a time when someone thought it was a good idea. HR today is mostly a joke, if even a single person. Everything goes into a black hole on the internet and half the time you don't even get a confirmation that your app went through.

I GET technology and I know when it's being used wrong. It's really frustrating.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM

205 posts, read 245,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Those psych things need to die right now. They are the lazy leftover of a time when someone thought it was a good idea. HR today is mostly a joke, if even a single person. Everything goes into a black hole on the internet and half the time you don't even get a confirmation that your app went through.

I GET technology and I know when it's being used wrong. It's really frustrating.
It really is Ceece and I totally agree.

I do have to admit, I do appreciate the emails I get from some places, even if they are automated saying that my app was turned in and they are reviewing it. It's much better than sending my application into a black hole where it goes to die.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
you don't know me
I don't have to know you in order to evaluate your attitude, logic, etc.

Quote:
And who decides what personality should work there? Recruiters?
Although I'm not in HR or management, I'd bet that those are the decision-makers.

Quote:
Like people don't screw up all the time.
All the more reason for applicants to be thoroughly vetted. Hey, thanks for underscoring my original point.

Quote:
That's why I know someone that has to work at an Engineering place.
Oh BS, nobody *has* to work at a certain place.

Quote:
You can't just have one personality type working at a single place, it just won't work.
You're making multiple assumptions.

Recruiters, HR professionals, and managers look for different aptitudes, skillsets, and personality types, depending on the position they are trying to fill.

If I ran a company, I'd want to hire someone very detailed-oriented for my accounting dept., and I wouldn't be particularly concerned with their interpersonal skills. By contrast, if I were hiring salespeople, I'd hire people-oriented applicants with great interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to close the deal.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph09 View Post
It's simple, Fire and Ice, you live in America. A once free and proud country that is now a wasteland of cronyism, mismanagement, bailouts, and bankruptcy.

Sorry for being born too late!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
When you look up the answer keys it's clear that the bulk of questions weed out people that have depression, social anxiety, aspergers syndrome, bipolar disorder, ADD, ADHD, etc. I know aspergers is a protected class by ADA and EEOC. In many cases because these people are weeded out automatically for no reason. They aren't aware of what's going on. Honesty is not what these tests are looking for. It's a script. You have to lie to get through the filters.

The people that promote, protect, and create these tests should be prosecuted for widespread discrimination and treason against the american people. Hopefully one day someone higher up in the government notices what's going on and tries to do something.

In order for that to happen, you have to elect politicians that care about the american people and not the wealthy aristocrats that are enslaving us now.

Last edited by parried; 06-24-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

In order for that to happen, you have to elect politicians that care about the american people and not the wealthy aristocrats that are enslaving us now.

Good luck with that.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM

205 posts, read 245,134 times
Oh, btw...took an assessment for Walmart...

I'm not kidding..it had a paragraph and the last sentence struck me odd...

We are an equal opportunity employer- by choice...

I didn't think businesses had a choice in that, kinda creeped me out..like you should be lucky to work there or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment