Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM

39 posts, read 94,595 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have been at my current company about 9 months. We don't get any vacation days until after a year. We get 2 floating holidays and 3 sicks days. I used all of these when I went on vacation to Hawaii in May. In July, I have another trip planned, back to the east coast to visit my family. My grandmother has been on and off life support, so this will probably be the last time I see her.

I will be out of work for 8 days. I'm not sure how to ask for these days off. My boss is super awkward to talk to and I cringe every time I have to! Also, we work in the same room, so I feel like emailing him would be strange since I see him everyday.

I'm worried he will have an issue with me leaving, since the other girl that I work with is on maternity leave, and there really won't be anyone else to take over my duties. Is it necessary that I explain that a family member is sick? Should I request the days off in an email before I present him with the paperwork to sign? Regardless, my flight is already booked so there's nothing I can do about it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Offer to work remotely and to check in.

Family > Work. No exceptions.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaaxelam View Post
Regardless, my flight is already booked so there's nothing I can do about it now.
That is always a bad idea! I understand you need to go visit your family but some flexibility would be nice when requesting time off in case the manager wants you to move your 8 days vacation by a day or two. Having no room for flexibility when asking for a "vacation" beyond your PTO would not be easy.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

If she has been on and off life support, why did you go to Hawaii in May? Was that planned before all of this?

I agree with dave that you shouldn't have planned this prior to a discussion with your manager.

But my biggest question is that it sounds like you had this trip planned to visit your family independent of what is going on with your grandmother. In other words, it sounds like you were going anyway. Is that correct?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Did you know about this trip when you burned all of your time to go to Hawaii? I am sure he will have an issue with you leaving, as he should. It is up to your boss to decide if and for how long he will let you go. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother; I lost mine in January.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Did you know about this trip when you burned all of your time to go to Hawaii? I am sure he will have an issue with you leaving, as he should. It is up to your boss to decide if and for how long he will let you go.
I agree! Why did you go to Hawaii and plan this trip if you knew you didn't have any PTO? That doesn't make sense to me.

If I were your boss I would be pretty annoyed and honestly, I'd be looking for your replacement while you were gone.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Add: If the question is are you taking too much vacation, the answer is "yes." You haven't been there long enough to take one vacation, let alone two.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Add: If the question is are you taking too much vacation, the answer is "yes." You haven't been there long enough to take one vacation, let alone two.
Well, to be fair, a 1 year probation is crazy. I've taken 1 vacation day this year so far (in 2014), but I'm going to get a new job in a few weeks. Should I have to wait until mid 2015 before I get a vacation? No thanks.

Due to my current company's policy, I have to save half my days for Christmas if I want to see my family.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 PM

39 posts, read 94,595 times
Originally, I was planning to quit before this trip, since I have been looking for a new job. However, now I feel like I wouldn't mind staying here a little longer before taking on a new position, which is why I was looking for advice.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
If that's their policy and it's unacceptable to you, then you don't take the job.

The op has no regard for the company or she would have discussed this with her manager before booking the trip. That just screams, "Screw the company, I'm doing what I want." It's one of those, "Oh, I didn't know. Well, I can't change it now" deals.

If it were me, I wouldn't be taking 8 days. I'd ask for two, tack them onto a weekend and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment