Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times

Advertisements

If you only had a car accident as your time of being late, it would not have been an issue.

But you were clearly seen as an employee who is out a lot. They probably had conversations in the office going "Is vikesfanmb here today?" and someone else jokes "Do you really need to ask?"

Perception is reality so whether it was doctor appointments, a car accident, traffic on the freeways, tornadoes, hurricanes, kids being sick, deaths in the family, flat tires, etc...it doesn't really matter because while individually they can be one offs, collectively it points to a person who just doesn't seem to take work seriously.

It probably shouldn't be this way but I don't go to the doctor or dentist as often as I should because I don't want to miss work. I don't get my AC fixed at home as quickly as I'd like to because I don't want to leave work early...I try to schedule appointments really early in the morning or late at night. For doctor appointments I do the same thing so that I end up just leaving work an hour early or coming in an hour late as opposed to scheduling things in the middle of the day where I end up missing 1/2 day of work, etc. DMV? I drive further away to go to the one that's open on weekends, etc.

I hope that at least you learned a little bit from this in that when you take your next job, do whatever you have to do to be there on time every single day. Don't take long lunch breaks, don't leave early, don't be late in the morning...every day for months. Work is #1, not #2, etc...sounds harsh but that's how it is when you're on a probationary period, etc.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM

277 posts, read 688,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
If you only had a car accident as your time of being late, it would not have been an issue.

But you were clearly seen as an employee who is out a lot. They probably had conversations in the office going "Is vikesfanmb here today?" and someone else jokes "Do you really need to ask?"

Perception is reality so whether it was doctor appointments, a car accident, traffic on the freeways, tornadoes, hurricanes, kids being sick, deaths in the family, flat tires, etc...it doesn't really matter because while individually they can be one offs, collectively it points to a person who just doesn't seem to take work seriously.

It probably shouldn't be this way but I don't go to the doctor or dentist as often as I should because I don't want to miss work. I don't get my AC fixed at home as quickly as I'd like to because I don't want to leave work early...I try to schedule appointments really early in the morning or late at night. For doctor appointments I do the same thing so that I end up just leaving work an hour early or coming in an hour late as opposed to scheduling things in the middle of the day where I end up missing 1/2 day of work, etc. DMV? I drive further away to go to the one that's open on weekends, etc.

I hope that at least you learned a little bit from this in that when you take your next job, do whatever you have to do to be there on time every single day. Don't take long lunch breaks, don't leave early, don't be late in the morning...every day for months. Work is #1, not #2, etc...sounds harsh but that's how it is when you're on a probationary period, etc.
Well, the silver lining in this whole thing is . . the job I left to take this job has called me and wants me to come back and start ASAP. It's a slight demotion but I've been gone from there less than a year (approx. 9 months) so I will get my years of service back, 5 years to be exact.

To those folks who think I'm some "young buck" who doesn't know any better, I am a 49 year old woman, divorced single mom with 25 years in healthcare and health insurance. Before this job that I was fired from, I worked for over 15 years at a major BCBS plan where my work was in the top 10% and my attendance was NEVER an issue. I only left that job to relocate to another area of the country to help out my family.

Since then, I've had quite a share of bad luck. In addition to the car accident in July of this year, I was also in a wreck (my first ever) last year where an 87 year old driver pulled out onto a 55 mph speed limit highway and stopped in the oncoming lane of traffic, giving me about 2 seconds to respond. There were multiple witnesses including an off duty deputy sheriff who saw the whole thing transpire. This happened approximately 1 week before beginning this latest job (which I was just fired from) and I started said job in a cast, on a walker and eventually on crutches, in a LOT of pain - but I was lucky enough to live through it, the other party deceased as a result of the accident.

So . . I will count myself blessed not only for living through a horrible accident but that I'm coming back to a place that is familiar with my work and WANTS me back and values me as an employee, even if it means slightly less $$.

And just to head off any further questions . . yes, I do have a lawyer in regards to the car accidents and the fact that I lost my job on Friday will surely "play" into both cases. And yes, I did provide my ex-employer with proof of the car accidents in both incidents, including the actual police reports, hospital records, doctor's notes, etc.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
You do realize tat what you have documented in this public forum can and will be used against if you decide to sue your company. Not very bright.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
You do realize tat what you have documented in this public forum can and will be used against if you decide to sue your company. Not very bright.
I think the lawyer is in regards to the car accidents...I don't think the OP has any intention of suing the employer.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Not sure what you mean? I have only stated the truth. I will simply delete the thread then.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I think the lawyer is in regards to the car accidents...I don't think the OP has any intention of suing the employer.
Exactly, for the CAR ACCIDENT. The car accident(s) have had an influence on my employment.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 AM

AND by the way, when I was terminated on Friday . . I lost over 40 hours of vacation time and almost the same amount of sick time. Not that I expected them to pay out either considering the circumstance, but I just wanted to make a point that I was NOT using the time I had accumulated, again minus 1 hour here or there. I was mostly making up the time or scheduling the very last appointment of the day and frankly,
sometimes not going at all even when I should have. I have permanent damage in my knee.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
almost the same amount of sick time.
You can't "lose" sick time. It's not like vacation leave.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You can't "lose" sick time. It's not like vacation leave.
Unused sick leave (at my former company) translates to years of service had I retired from there, which was my original plan/intent.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I have no advice for the OP, but I feel badly for folk that get nailed for not being on time every day. To be clear, I don't mean being late for meetings/appointments. Just the idea of having to have your rear in your seat at 6/7/8:59 AM and not a minute after policy. I was fired from an office job when I was very young for punching in at 6:30am almost everday instead of 6:25am. I just couldn't get there five minutes earlier and they canned me for it. That was definitely not the line of work for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment