Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 PM

205 posts, read 245,277 times

Advertisements

As a cashier now, I end up having to count money back to a customer and give it to them, however, I notice that many customers put the money on the counter and just leave it there. That's fine, because I am sort of a germaphobe now anyways, but when giving the money back I have to put it in their hand, otherwise it is considered rude right? I can't just put the change on the counter and leave it there I don't think. If its rude to not put the money back in their hand, how come a good majority of customers don't put in my hand from the get go? Just wondering here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Guilty. I don't know why I lay the money on the counter, maybe because I'm usually grabbing something else or turned around talking to someone. Sometimes the money is going to different pots, say part for a newspaper and part for Lottery.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Most customers will view it as rude indeed. And as they teach, customers are always right...even if they are aholes and jerks.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:53 PM

205 posts, read 245,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Most customers will view it as rude indeed. And as they teach, customers are always right...even if they are aholes and jerks.
And see thats what I don't get. They can do it to cashiers but they can't do it back? That is some messed up logic. Personally I don't want to touch any of them because I don't want to get sick and you don't know where their hands have been. Some of them look like they haven't taken a bath in days.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
I put it on the counter (and wish cashiers did, too) because there is less chance any of the coins will drop. It has nothing to do with germs or not wanting to have contact with someone.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
As a cashier now, I end up having to count money back to a customer and give it to them, however, I notice that many customers put the money on the counter and just leave it there. That's fine, because I am sort of a germaphobe now anyways, but when giving the money back I have to put it in their hand, otherwise it is considered rude right? I can't just put the change on the counter and leave it there I don't think. If its rude to not put the money back in their hand, how come a good majority of customers don't put in my hand from the get go? Just wondering here.
The thing you learn when dealing with people is that the "good majority" of them lack basic home training, common courtesy and were never taught proper etiquette.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
And that philosophy is exactly why Marshall Field's went out of business.

Today, it's not so much about the customer being right, but the fear of the customer sending your business into bankruptcy court with frivolous lawsuits because they THINK they're right.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
And see thats what I don't get. They can do it to cashiers but they can't do it back? That is some messed up logic. Personally I don't want to touch any of them because I don't want to get sick and you don't know where their hands have been. Some of them look like they haven't taken a bath in days.
That's what money does to people, money becomes a means of control for them. Money is a means of power for some people, it really stands out among the rich. When you hear people complaining of everything under the sun, why does that bird have to churp? it's so annoying, why is it so windy? it's so annoying...these people are used to having everything they want because money affords them that, even if it means being an ahole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And that philosophy is exactly why Marshall Field's went out of business.

Today, it's not so much about the customer being right, but the fear of the customer sending your business into bankruptcy court with frivolous lawsuits because they THINK they're right.
I agree, and it is becoming worse with things like Yelp and Google. People could easily go on those sites and make up some absurd reviews for whatever agenda.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,119,337 times
If I put money on the counter it is so I can count out my change or my bills to come up with the right amount. It is not a reflection on the cashier or my social status.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
I highly dislike when cashiers do not count out the change to me.
Even more rude is turning the next customer before I can place my change in my wallet. It worked out better in the past when cashiers bagged your purchase after giving the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment