Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,915,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i guess i am wierd but most cashiers do not place my $$ in my hand.
Even if you have your hand out to take it? That's strange...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,826 times
As any cashier you need to recount the money that has been given to you, and give the customer any leftover bills before you open the register. Then you need to count their change ( because they have the right to count the change again, in front of you ), and give it back to them. It depends on the type of cashier/store/facility you work in. The higher up you go, the more strict they are. I love the strictness, of money counting.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,610,281 times
I never knew this was a issue before. I will put the money on the counter if I need my hands for something and the cashier is not ready to take the money from me. It is mildly irritating to me when the cashier tells me the total and then turns away to tidy coupons or fold/sack items while I am holding the money out to them. It goes on the counter until they are ready for it.

I watch them count my change as it comes from the drawer because it is getting to the point that many cashiers dont count change back but just push a pile of bills and coins into my hands.

Overall it is just easier to pay everything with a credit card now.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 2,721,015 times
I thought about this, and I think it's a 50/50 as to whether I put the money on the counter, or if I hand it directly to the cashier. Coins I usually put on the counter, since I just presumed it was easier for the cashier to see that I was giving them the correct amount of change that way. Paper bills I usually hand directly over.

Exceptions are if I'm trying to maneuver my hands for something, or if the cashier isn't ready to take the money (this usually happens at my local Starbucks--the barrista usually starts my drink before they take my money.)

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
Most cashiers in this area hold the money,put the change on top of it(like a blanket) and give it to you.
Of course,the change always spills out.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Do you think those disgusting women who take their money from their cleavage would stop if you returned their change to the same place?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
How long does it take to count change back? Three seconds? Five? Not even. It takes a very short amount of time and while I know customers can be impatient it just isn't THAT long. So I'd have to argue with you about that "time consuming" thing. It really just isn't.
No, it's not a long drawn out thing, but it IS quicker to just dump the coins and bills with a "here is your $xx in change" than it is to say "and two pennies makes $1.65, $1.75 and a quarter makes $2.00, $3.00 , $4.00, $5.00 and $5 makes $10 and another $10 makes $20. Dang, I could have the next customer halfway out the door before I'm done saying all that, especially when you have to add in all the mandatory scripted blah blah at the end of each transaction!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
And see thats what I don't get. They can do it to cashiers but they can't do it back? That is some messed up logic. Personally I don't want to touch any of them because I don't want to get sick and you don't know where their hands have been. Some of them look like they haven't taken a bath in days.
When I was working retail and a customer put the money on the counter rather then handing it to me I always returned the gesture. Even if they held their hand out expecting me to put the money in their hand.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 PM

259 posts, read 522,923 times
I always give the money to the cashier in their hand. I've seen customers put it on the counter and although I don't find it rude, I find it kinda impersonal. Those are usually the types who refuse eye contact and a quick hello/smile to the cashier.

Just seems they dislike human interaction.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,688,988 times
By the way, I think I use my ATM/VISA card like 99 percent of the time anyways.

Whether it be fast food or supermarket, wherever, I use my card.

I think I used cash to pay for food twice so far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment