Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,952 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!
I hope I have the right forum. I wanted to post this here to get some unbiased/objective opinions.
I have been at my job for about 14 years now. I have been promoted 3 times from start to now. Right now, I am an Account Manager with 2 others. We all have goals(monthly, yearly) We all make the same base salary. I tend to make more on the "bonus" & "incentive" side of the job because I really apply myself & want to see the green.

Here is the problem. My company isn't doing particularly well financially(I know, who's isn't?) I am really the only one pulling my weight hitting my monthly goal more often than not, while the other 2 account managers usually do not hit goal and their efficiency numbers are terrible. To quote another manager from another dept, "Rob, you are this dept!". I just found out that my yearly/monthly goals are HIGHER than those of my 2 colleagues. Mind you, we get the same base pay!!! I completely feel I am being taken advantage of, but how can I phrase it to Human Resources to actually get something to be done?

Here is the latest! One of the other Account Manager just quit(different career) and they want to give his work(atleast for 2 months) to me. I told them months ago to save the company money & do things the right way, I would take on his work temporarily so long as I get credit for the "units" I bring in. (Each month, we have goals of how many units we bring in, IE: 500 units for April).

Now they want to give me HIS goals>? They said I can have the units he has on his calendar, but they have to raise my goals? I was like, "whooaaa, wait a second." You are going to raise my goals, give me more work and make the additional units a moot point because you are raising my goals which inhibits me from making any extra compensation for doing his job AND you get to keep his base salary which you would have paid out in 2 months??? NO WAY!

What should I do? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
This is absolutely something you can bring up with HR and I think if you read back exactly what you've written here you can diplomatically reformat it for presentation to the powers that be. Tell them that you are more than happy to take on the additional workload, are confident that you can handle it at least for a couple of months but that you feel it would be fair to either adequately compensate you or drop the condition that you not only accept the work but have his goals added on to those you're currently required to (and do) meet.

Obviously they appreciate you and your work and I see no reason why they wouldn't sweeten the pot if you approach it rationally and diplomatically. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Time to start searching for a new job. The company is indeed taking advantage of you and they are unlikely to change so why not better your situation, and teach them a lesson all in one.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I think you can discuss this with your manager and tell him/her that you are fine with covering for a couple of months but would not be willing to assume a larger, and unrealistic goal, because they're setting you up to fail. They are asking you to do more for them - what is it they are giving you in exchange for that? It should be something you don't need to earn, because your additional workload should earn it.

If they insist your goals be increased, then your base salary should be increased by the same percentage.

Speaking of base salaries, you state you have been with the company fourteen years and make the same base salary as the other two. How long of those fourteen years have you been an account manager and how long have they been account managers? In general, account managers who are more seasoned will earn a higher base pay, so I would be interested in hearing how many years experience each of you has.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 AM

514 posts, read 764,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fact81 View Post
Here is the problem. My company isn't doing particularly well financially(I know, who's isn't?)
Poor financial performance is indicative of a management problem. Very few firms are struggling to generate revenue right now. In fact, the economy is probably about to enter a boom cycle.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 5,952 times
thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, this company is poorly managed(without question). The VP told me last week, "Rob, if I just give Sean's units(the guy who left) what am I supposed to do with his goals"? I felt like saying, "That's not my problem lol"

Again, I am absolutely ok & confident I can do the additional work & willing to put in more hours/weekends whatever, but I am certainly not going to do it if my compensation is, "a couple of hundred bucks & his goals". They are saving over $7,000 just on his salary alone for July & August.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Time to start searching for a new job. The company is indeed taking advantage of you and they are unlikely to change so why not better your situation, and teach them a lesson all in one.
That's the way it is at every job.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fact81 View Post

Again, I am absolutely ok & confident I can do the additional work & willing to put in more hours/weekends whatever, but I am certainly not going to do it if my compensation is, "a couple of hundred bucks & his goals". They are saving over $7,000 just on his salary alone for July & August.
Then hopefully you'll meet with HR and discuss it as suggested.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
That's the way it is at every job.
Still... more work with more responsibilities with no increase in pay = a pay cut or slap in the face. Feel free to start looking and walk.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
I agree with the other poster about finances right now. Most industries are doing well. My company, for example is expanding and can't find enough engineers. Just got a big fat bonus (think bigger than hundreds). If your company is struggling and they're trying to con you out of a well dear ed pay raise for more work, especially when you've been there for 14 years, then its probably time to start looking elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment