Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times

Advertisements

Yeah I think we have about 5% of the story. And if it's true...........you don't realize after 10 years you ain't going nowhere.......smells like troll post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 PM

508 posts, read 460,818 times
There is really no more to the story, that's what makes his comment so bizarre.

As for being in the same entry level position, that's not really the case. I started in one dept, where I was progressing, then given an opportunity to move to another dept. Unfortunately, that dept later closed so I was moved to this dept, which is where I've been for the past 4 yrs. This is the dept that I am stuck in and management seems to prefer I stay put.

I did start applying for other jobs, so fingers crossed something better will come along.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I have been scheduling one-on-one meetings w/my manager every couple of months in an attempt to move forward and be promoted. I've been w/the company for almost 10 yrs and am still in an entry level position. I have worked hard and feel I've earned it.

My last meeting w/him he said that to be in a leadership role that I have a long way to go. When I questioned him what skills am I missing, he spent 15 min going over the top five things he looks for from someone. His #1 skill is trust, he needs to trust that person. He said "if there was a knife on the table, and my back was turned, you would stab me". I was shocked. It changed the whole direction of our meeting, and I haven't forgotten those words. He didn't go into why he felt that way, and sadly I didn't pursue it any further since I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

That was about a month ago. Last week I had my bonus review meeting w/my supervisor and my raise was very small, 1%, and my bonus went down from past yrs. My supervisor is well aware of my attempts to move forward in the dept. I decided to confide in him and tell him what the manager had said, and how that affected me. I not only was stunned by the comment, but I was hurt. I've always been completely up front and honest, yet I watch most of the newer and/or younger employees play games and manipulate.

After that meeting, my supervisor went right to my manager and apparently told him what I said and I was called in the room with the two of them. I reminded my manager what he said to me, what we had been talking about leading up to his comment. He flat out denied saying it and kept nervously laughing. I could tell he was lying. He knows what he said.

Anyway, what do you make of it? Isn't it a strange comment for a manager to say to an employee? What do you think about my supervisor immediately going to him and telling him? BTW, the manager and supervisor are long time buddies and friends outside of work.

Why didn't you say "to be very honest, I am shocked by what you just said, could you please give an example as to why you feel this way?".

Instead of sitting there and letting a comment like that go by.

Many years ago I had a boss who said I had dropped the ball on some projects(this wasn't true) so I point blank asked "please give me some examples", he couldn't come up with any, and it never came up again.

Sorry, I don't care if you're talking to the CEO of the company, if someone says something that is outrageous, you speak up, you don't go off on them, but you ask in an civil tone to please give details to back up what they say.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Exactly. If the supervisor is skilled enough to be writing and conducting reviews, I don't understand why he couldn't develop personnel. Could be the manager is so paranoid, he wants to maintain control on that. It sounds dysfunctional.
Some employees cannot be developed beyond where they are. The manager said the OP had a long way to go before being ready for promotion even though OP has been under this manager 4 years. That means they have been under other managers also, and no one has seen fit to promote the OP in the 10 years of employment with this company. This would indicate they have not seen leadership, management or ability beyond the entry level positions. OP, I would ask for a specific plan of what they want to see from you in order to move up. They obviously don't think you have what it takes, so show them. The knife in the back comment sounds like they are concerned about gossip. Do you have a problem with yakking about other people's issues?

For sure there is more to this story.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,130,102 times
I think I would like to hear this manager give examples of his simile.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,130,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
There is really no more to the story, that's what makes his comment so bizarre.

As for being in the same entry level position, that's not really the case. I started in one dept, where I was progressing, then given an opportunity to move to another dept. Unfortunately, that dept later closed so I was moved to this dept, which is where I've been for the past 4 yrs. This is the dept that I am stuck in and management seems to prefer I stay put.

I did start applying for other jobs, so fingers crossed something better will come along.
It's good that you are applying for other jobs. I wouldn't stay at the company another decade for 2024, because the prospects don't look too good at this place.

Before you know it, you will still be doing entry level work in your 40's at the same company.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,970,601 times
Once he made the comment she knew where she stood so there was really no reason to keep the conversation going. Her supervisor did what he accused her of doing. He said it but when confronted he stabbed her in the back.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,526,667 times
10 years in an entry level position? Something is wrong. Why didn't you try to get promoted after 2-3 years there? What happened then? After 10 years they probably think you're a joke. They'll say anything to keep you there or make you leave. What industry is this anyway?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
The manager sounds like an idiot. You've really wasted your time with that one. Good initiative, bad judgement.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
It's time for another job. Either transfer within the same company or move to another company. You are stuck in a rut in your current position and the only way out of the rut is to transfer or resign.

Sometimes this happens to excellent employees. Politics and favoritism and subjective opinions can squash a career. Moving on is the best way for a fresh start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment