Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 AM

406 posts, read 559,507 times

Advertisements

I receive termination notices for my organization and see probably 5-10 per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
In eleven years at my job, I can only recall three people being fired. Most turnover is voluntary: people finding better jobs, women becoming stay-at-home moms, and this year, three people have retired. We haven't had any layoffs since 2009.

Two of those firings were alcohol-related. One person got a DUI in a company vehicle, and another had been drinking in her car in the parking lot, and forgot about doing her job.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
It depends. In my last job I was told during the interview process that there were several people I would have to fire and they asked my feelings about doing that. Two jobs ago I took over a floundering operation and had to fire nearly everyone. In my current job I didn't have to let anyone go and nobody has been fired in my department in years.

If a company or department is firing a lot of people that means hiring and ongoing training aren't being taken seriously enough, or there are some trigger happy managers who don't know how to deal with problems.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I haven't seen tons of firings, but the ones I've seen have been a little graphic. I do agree with the other poster, in that I've seen far more people being giving choices -- and one of their choices is to leave. Which they usually took.

But the worst -- we had a coworker (bank teller) who was a terrible flirt and a bit "loose". And her preference was married men. She was counseled a number of times that her off site behavior was affecting her on site behavior and it would not be tolerated by my morally uptight manager. And it was -- a married guy would come in and wait for her window and she's take FOREVER to process (and set up a date)... and my manager knew what was going on because she'd get called by the angry wives.

Then one morning came THE phone call. One wife had had it. She flat out stated she was coming in with a gun to let US have it.

Manager called the police first. And her management second. The papers were drawn up as fast as could be, the firing team (management always had upper management in on the process) came over and that afternoon that teller was GONE. We had a cop sitting in our branch for a few days till they found the wife.

Too wild for words....

Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
But the worst -- we had a coworker (bank teller) who was a terrible flirt and a bit "loose". And her preference was married men. She was counseled a number of times that her off site behavior was affecting her on site behavior and it would not be tolerated by my morally uptight manager. And it was -- a married guy would come in and wait for her window and she's take FOREVER to process (and set up a date)... and my manager knew what was going on because she'd get called by the angry wives.

Then one morning came THE phone call. One wife had had it. She flat out stated she was coming in with a gun to let US have it.

So, not being okay with this makes someone morally uptight? Count me in - I guess I'm among the morally uptight then.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM

184 posts, read 316,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I haven't seen tons of firings, but the ones I've seen have been a little graphic. I do agree with the other poster, in that I've seen far more people being giving choices -- and one of their choices is to leave. Which they usually took.

Manager called the police first. And her management second. The papers were drawn up as fast as could be, the firing team (management always had upper management in on the process) came over and that afternoon that teller was GONE. We had a cop sitting in our branch for a few days till they found the wife.

Too wild for words....
Any idea where she works now (wink wink)

I'm KIDDING

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
[quote=I'm Retired Now;35703034]I have been fired a number of times. They never used a formal system of progressive discipline (oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan, developing performance standards) but instead I was always told "it is not a good fit" and was completely shocked and was given no warning at all. I suspect that most people who are fired don't fit and are good workers but have a personality mismatch.[/quote]

That is probably the most common reason and it falls in line with what @Manpowering said-the manager does not know how to deal with problems or get around a personality mismatch so he/she eliminates the issue from the equation.

Live by the sword-die by the sword...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Not many. Noone I know personally has left other than to be a SAHM. Organization wide you can always tell when someone is fired because the email states something like effect X date (usually the same day as the email) Joe Shmo is longer employed here we wish him the best as opposed to voluntary quits where they give more details. I get such emails maybe once or twice a month at most.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I received advance notice that someone in my department will be fired tomorrow morning when she comes in. It's not entirely undeserved. She's a very nice lady, but she spends a ton of time on the internet. She has dropped the ball on a few items that have cost the company $$$. So tomorrow she's gone.

However, I've never worked in a place where there are so many firings. It's not uncommon at all to get a memo saying so and so is no longer with the company -- with no explanation given.

Fortunately, I'm on my way out. But other places I worked, it was pretty rare.
I have to say I LOVE MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT! I have never known them to fire anyone! It is like one big family there. The work hours sometimes are slow, so people come and go (I have been with them over 15 years) . If they ever fired anyone, they have kept it very private. And they make a great profit!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,480 times
Cool Love my Place of Employment!

I am new to this website , so excuse me if this post in 2 different locations. I love my place of employment. I have been there about 15 years, They are like a family. Sometimes there is a lack of work , but we make it. If they have ever fired anyone, they have kept it private.
They make great profit , and treat their employees right. It is a relaxed atmosphere . And the pay is decent too.
Good luck out in this world ...jobs like mine are hard to find.

bet105
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment