Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What specific "new programming language" are you referring to?
I meant new to me. In other words I recently added another programming language to the ones I'm familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
****! I thought so.

I know! I know had so many good opportunities when I graduated with nothing but a Math degree and base-level programming knowledge. I got to the final interview round at a state gov Application Developer job that paid $72k/yr plus massive benefits. I got to the final round for a small e-commerce team downtown. I got interviews at Amazon and Microsoft (although I didn't make it to the final rounds there). I've tried applying for these same types of jobs and I don't get looked at anymore. If I could travel back in time and re-interview, I'm confident that I could win out. But it's too late.

Yep, you've described it perfectly: "tech gutter." That's where I am.
Too bad that you are math shy. Otherwise, the actuary exams would have been a good choice for you.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubsworth View Post
Why do you want a programming job?
It is hard, boring, long hours, unhealthy, short career and there is no job security.
When you are 40 you will need to be a manager or find a new career anyway.
Why not just skip the programming part and go straight to being a manager?
Or choose a different field entirely.
This. Those of us who are IT Veterans know that as 40 approaches, you really need to be in management if you want to stay in the industry. I might even say 35.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 PM

36 posts, read 65,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
This. Those of us who are IT Veterans know that as 40 approaches, you really need to be in management if you want to stay in the industry. I might even say 35.
Lol, what a load of bs. What companies do you guys work for? Several people on my team are over 40 and they are really good senior engineers with a wealth of knowledge. I know people over 40 working at Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc. and they are doing just fine. The most challenging aspect is to be sharp and keep skills current.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_enthusiast View Post
Lol, what a load of bs. What companies do you guys work for? Several people on my team are over 40 and they are really good senior engineers with a wealth of knowledge. I know people over 40 working at Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc. and they are doing just fine. The most challenging aspect is to be sharp and keep skills current.

Incorrect.

As I keep saying, Google, Microsoft and Amazon can afford to be picky on who they bring in. Those companies are the gold standard. Not every shop is like them - they are insanely profitable.

Another thing I keep saying - "keeping your skills sharp" is good and all, but in my experience, companies tend to want the purple squirrel - those that have direct, professional experience in exactly what they do. Simply taking a course at the local college and/or writing some code on the side and publishing it on github doesn't cut mustard in many cases.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Incorrect.

As I keep saying, Google, Microsoft and Amazon can afford to be picky on who they bring in. Those companies are the gold standard. Not every shop is like them - they are insanely profitable.

Another thing I keep saying - "keeping your skills sharp" is good and all, but in my experience, companies tend to want the purple squirrel - those that have direct, professional experience in exactly what they do. Simply taking a course at the local college and/or writing some code on the side and publishing it on github doesn't cut mustard in many cases.
The gold standard in every industry can be very picky.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The gold standard in every industry can be very picky.
Correct.

I have interviewed for both Amazon and Google.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
In addition, this is probably the OP's fifth or sixth handle on CD after all times he's been banned.
And.... Gone again. Le sigh.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 AM

62 posts, read 81,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I give up! I'm done wasting my time reading programming books, trying to practice my coding chops, asking questions on Stack Overflow, etc. It's so hard to find a Junior-level position; and when I do find one, there's so much competition for it. I'm not good enough to make the cut. I guess I'll just continue with my lowly tech job in which I don't do any coding. It'll be nice to no longer have to spend my free time applying for jobs and trying to sharpen my skill set. I admit complete defeat and hope this serves as a lesson to me about how I overestimate my career potential.
May I suggest you read one more thing - a very short and to the point, yet very amusing book by Mike Rowe:
Profoundly Disconnected.

Your so-called lowly tech job skills can get you a job anywhere on this earth. Unless you're afraid to get dirty.
peep

Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM

62 posts, read 81,594 times
Wait... you have a job? And your complaining???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment