Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
One yawn, yes, may be a reflex, multiple, no (outside perhaps an odd medical condition).

It wants to do it when you're tired (or sometimes dehydrated), it is your responsibility to be neither at an interview. It is part of interview preparation.
True.

But again, sometimes things happen.

Maybe the person was awake trying to take care of their newborn child who was crying all night and didn't intend to come into the interview tired and yawning. Should they automatically be written off as a candidate because of this? This is what the interview is for, to allow the candidate to explain their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
True.

But again, sometimes things happen.

Maybe the person was awake trying to take care of their newborn child who was crying all night and didn't intend to come into the interview tired and yawning. Should they automatically be written off as a candidate because of this? This is what the interview is for, to allow the candidate to explain their situation.

Automatically? No. If the employer decides to do so, that is fine too.

If the candidate explained to me that they were up all night caring for a crying baby, I'm automatically thinking that they may come into work tired for similar things from time to time. That will rightly have an impact on my decision making.

And no, explaining their situation isn't what an interview is about. I'm not interested in what your situation is. I'm interested in you convincing me that you're the right person for this job and why I should hire you over any other candidate. Sell yourself. Hard to do when you're yawning.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Automatically? No.
Ok, fair enough.

However, some other people before implied that they automatically disqualified a candidate only because they were yawning.

Quote:
If the employer decides to do so, that is fine too.
They certainly have the control to do so.

I just don't think it's right and it is, thus, an abuse of power because they know they have the upper hand in the exchange.

Quote:
If the candidate explained to me that they were up all night caring for a crying baby, I'm automatically thinking that they may come into work tired for similar things from time to time. That will rightly have an impact on my decision making.
And why would you automatically think that? The person you're interviewing could be doing perfectly well at another job in spite of their situation, or maybe their wife who typically takes care of the baby at night wasn't feeling well themselves.

Quote:
And no, explaining their situation isn't what an interview is about. I'm not interested in what your situation is. I'm interested in you convincing me that you're the right person for this job and why I should hire you over any other candidate. Sell yourself.
Agreed. So why should someone yawning even be a problem.

And if it is such a problem, why is it such a problem to ask them why and give them the benefit of the doubt?

Quote:
Hard to do when you're yawning.
Not necessarily...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
I'm not even sure you know what entitlement means, as I don't feel I'm owed anything by anyone.

In fact, it's a word that's thrown around way too loosely by folks who are called out on their power trips and selfishness because they feel "offended."

You will just never get it.
Are you not asserting, and do you not feel entitled, that people should change their preferences and how they conduct themselves (as interviewers) based on your judgements? That's how your position reads to me.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
But the person said it was because they've been up late a lot lately.

People yawn a lot when they don't get enough sleep, it's normal. You don't know what could be going on in their lives. So it was a silly reason to reject them.

I went to an interview out in LA back in April and I'm in Upstate NY - and did not get to the hotel until 3am PST the morning of. Luckily they interview was at 12:30pm so I could get 6-7 hours of sleep.

If I happened to yawn....

Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

And why would you automatically think that? The person you're interviewing could be doing perfectly well at another job in spite of their situation, or maybe their wife who typically takes care of the baby at night wasn't feeling well themselves.

Because they couldn't get their life together for a very important interview. They didn't make the preparation and performance at their interview the priority. The end.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Ok, fair enough.

However, some other people before implied that they automatically disqualified a candidate only because they were yawning.

They certainly have the control to do so.

I just don't think it's right and it is, thus, an abuse of power because they know they have the upper hand in the exchange.

This is all in your mind. It isn't a matter of having the upper hand. Only people who go in thinking it's a power exchange would even have this notion on their radar screen.

The hiring manager, like most employees, has one goal that all other goals stem off of. The goal is always the same, whether you are blue collar, white collar, 27 or 57, female or male, homosexual or heterosexual, religious or atheist, a minority or non-minority.

I wonder if anyone can guess what the goal is.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You are entitled because you think your personal preferences rule the roost for other people. If you want to hire someone that is sick and sleep deprived to take care of your children, meet with clients, cook your food, or whatever, that's your choice. I would not argue it. That you think it's your call to rule other people's preferences is indicative of what you are all about employment-wise.
Exactly! I wonder how 313Weather would feel getting ready to go into surgery, and the surgeon is yawning repeatedly saying "excuse me, I get migraines and I am sleep deprived".

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I went to an interview out in LA back in April and I'm in Upstate NY - and did not get to the hotel until 3am PST the morning of. Luckily they interview was at 12:30pm so I could get 6-7 hours of sleep.

If I happened to yawn....
He didn't yawn once, but repeatedly and throughout the interview...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly! I wonder how 313Weather would feel getting ready to go into surgery, and the surgeon is yawning repeatedly saying "excuse me, I get migraines and I am sleep deprived".
Yeah, that's so very comparable. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment